The best way to clean a revolver

Fer

I went to range on wednesday. I shot a box of Aguila 158gr lead round nose.
By the time I was done the gun was dirty like heck!!.
It took me no less than an hour to clean the gun, the time was invested mostly on the bore and cilinder. I cleaned and I cleaned and the path came out dirty everytime, plus I never got rid of the circles that form on the exit side of SS revolver cilinder chambers.

What advise can you give me on the most efficient way to clean a revolver. In my case it would be for a Taurus 851SS.

Thanks,

FER

Jkwas

Lead bullets will do that. I don't even use a brush anymore. Soak a patch down with rem-oil, run it down the bore, then each cylinder several times. If need be, I use a brass brush for the inside front of the chambers, but I don't go nuts. Those black rings used to drive me nuts. Kleenbore lead away cloth takes em off, and also cleans up the forcing cone as well. Afterward, just wipe it down with a light coat of rem-oil, and run a dry patch thru the bore and chambers to take out the excess oil. Shoot Full metal jacket. It's a lot easier to deal with.
Some ammo is dirtier than others. I've used range ammo that made my taurus 605 bind up after 30 rnds! But good quality ammo will make all the difference.
Hope this helps.

C Philip

I find that Aguila ammo is especially dirty. Try out a bore snake, they work well for me. +1 for the lead away cloth in the cylinder face.

SJshooter

Bore snake, lead away cloths (except not on blue guns ever!!!), and start shooting FMJ at the range. Those lead bullets are going to mess your gun up every time. Also, put a thin film of FP10 or something similar (www.fp10.com) around the forcing cone, front of cylinder, top strap BEFORE you shoot and then when you are done dry patch wipe it immediately and you'll get 80% right there. Bore snaking on a warm barrel is also more effective. Just keep doing it and you'll get your routine down to a science. For reference see these webpages:

http://attrition.org/technical/firearms/357clean/

http://www.geocities.com/kemays/cleanrev.html

Fer

Well, Thanks a lot for the info I will look for the patches you guys mentioned, at the moment I only have the cleaning kit with the regular patches nitro solvent and gun oil, plus a metal and nylon brush, maybe that is why I have a hard time cleaning my gun, no more lead bullets for me! thanks again.

Fer.

JCM298

I cut Lead Away cloths into small pieces, 1" X 1", wrap it around a popsicle stick and rub the front of the cylinder. Sometimes I have to use a piece wrapped around a tooth brush.

Most of my reloads are lead. It takes a little extra effort to clean but they are cheaper than copper coated and are a little more accurate,

John

Harley2k

after reading this thead and the links I went a bought some Birchwood Casey lead remover & polishing cloth. It worked great. I had been having trouble getting the fouling off of the front of the cylinder, now after about ten minutes with the cloth it looks better then new.

somerled

The best way to clean a revolver--too bad there ain't a rent-a-gun-cleaning-maid (valet for the ladies) service. :D