The BEST? Taurus Gaucho in 45 LC SA

Sir William

WOW! I finally was able to wring out a Taurus Gaucho. First, ignore that this is a Taurus, it is not an issue. This was a deepl blued including the hammer and trigger revolver with black grips with brass screw/escutcheons. It is often called a Civilian finish in contrast to a USA SAA finish. Very nice to look at. The seamless assembly and highly polished steel parts are impressive. The only issue in finish was the ejector rod housing. It is not highly polished or as well finished as the remainder of the Gaucho. There is the normal stubby cylinder pin, no 2-position elongated Italian cylinder pin. Lock is the normal cross-pin springloaded style. The opening of the loading gate was slightly difficult due to the high level of polishing. It was slick and well sprung to securely close. The sights were wonderful on the model I tried. Fat and tall wagon top front sight with a wide and deep trough rear sight. The grips were well checkered and bear a slightly stylized Taurus name embossing. They look cheap and plastic. They are beveled at the bottom and nice fitting to the frame. The overall easthetics are pleasing and definitely shout OLD WESTERN sixgun. The Taurus cardboard box seemed out of place though. The true test for any Colt clone though is cocking. It said "I AM NO COLT" with four highly audible clicks! I was pleased with the Wolff mainspring and the feel of the action. It was smooth, responsive and not too light. The hammer is easy to grab but, I think more and coarser checkering should be applied. The trigger is highly polished and narrow/small. I think the entire trigger guard and trigger could/should be enlarged. This is a nod in my opinion to not infringe on the Colt pattern/copyright. There is enough room to operate but, I have been spoiled by Rugers and Uberti Bisley models. I can attest that the internals seem to be built out of strong material. Fanning, dry firing, sliphammering and abuse should cause no problems for the Taurus Gauchos. How does it shoot? Fine. The sights require individual adjustments with a file for different shooters. Applying Kentucky windage and Tennessee drift with 250 gr 45 Long Colt reloads showed that these Taurus models are capable of more than CAS use. These are going for under $400.00. A good bargain.

Sir William

What would I like to see in a Gaucho? The first issue would be a gunfighter meltdown. The front sight needs to be modified, the end of the ejector housing needs rounding, the ejector housing should be better polished and finished, the ejector rod needs to be a little heavier sprung and polished, the cylinder needs more beveling and the trigger guard and trigger should be enlarged, the hammer needs better checkering and the grips should be replaced. I would add three lines with a file to the loading gate for easier loading and bevel the chamber mouths also. The Taurus Gaucho is in my opinion, the BEST single action revolver on the market currently.