Porsche911

I am not kidding.

The old 1950's post war revolvers are the best ever made:

cc8imuX.jpg

0sagR8v.jpg

CUPwh1w.jpg

Tp5fylD.jpg

rock185

Those are certainly beauties. I could see Korth, Python and perhaps owners of some other manufactuer's revolvers having a different opinion as to what revolver is "best" though.

44 AMP

Staff
Everyone will have a different idea of what is best,

For me, what determines "best" is my personal evaluation of what I get for what I pay. That means New Model Ruger Blackhawks for SA and Pinned & recessed S&W N frames for DA.

And, not every single one ever made, just the ones that I own! :D

SIGSHR

Those look like 3 or 4 screws. So we can debate what vintage of S&W is "best".
And those 3.5" barrels are quite collectible.

rclark

What's this best revolver ever made threads :) . As above, it's a personal thing. I have what I think is 'best' set of SA revolvers that qualify as perfect pack'n pistols. In my mind they are the 'best'. S&W is way.... way... down on my list. Plus the caliber has to start with at least a 0.4x to even quality for best :) . So it goes...

Drm50

I agree m27s are the finest 357s that have been made up to 27-2 variation. Downhill after that. I’ve got 83/8” and 61/2” , have sold all my other 357s including 19s. Had Pythons and Trooper. Rugers too, no Korth.

SIGSHR

I would nominate the M-28 as the best of S&W. You get the heavy frame of the M-27 but that service finish is easier to take care of.

Double K

I don't know about being the "best" but living in the country one of the most practical little guns to carry every day is the 651 22mag with a 4" barrel.
You almost forget it's there and it has ample power to dispatch most things in the lower 48.

Nathan

I could see Korth, Python and perhaps owners of some other manufactuer's revolvers having a different opinion as to what revolver is "best" though.

Purchased from the right period, machining accuracy was high, handfitting skill was good and they could make a finish that all but the epa loved.. Korth may deliver something very nice, but it still is not an early 70’s S&W!:cool::D

jetinteriorguy

That sure is a beauty, and to me the Model 27 is about the ultimate in aesthetically beautiful revolvers. Maybe some day I can afford one, but for now I’ll have to settle for my Model 15 and my 4” Model 57.

Arrowhead37

Anytime I run across a thread like this I think of the old saying "opinions are like -------s and everyone has one. I certainly wouldn't mind owning any of the guns pictured in the OP despite anyone's opinion.

44 AMP

Staff
For me, the best is the model 28, like the one I have, fitted with the target hammer and trigger. I don't mind the high luster blue of the 27 or my 29, but I like the satin blue of the 28 better.

rodfac

While beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder...so does "Best Revolver"...but Function always trumps Beauty (3 wks left don't forget to vote!). Ease of day-long carry, maintain-ability...sure they're important but first and foremost: accuracy. If your blued-steel beauty won't keep a cylinderful under a silver dollar at 75 feet, it won't be my pick for favorite. And if I can't lug it off and on the tractor, climb aboard a 17' canoe nor 16-hand horse, or take my pick-up down to TSP for a pound of shear bolts, or cover it up with an X-Long T-shirt, it won't qualify for my favorite, let alone the "best revolver". And last, but certainly not least, it's got to be a caliber that'll do the job, any job on a working farm.

In my neck of the Kentucky Blue Grass, that boils down to any one of the following any one of the following for me: a 4" bbl'd M66 or 19, or a Smith M69. This latter is a fine, medium weight revolver well designed for everyday use...and yeah...I could do without the cursed IL, odd looking two-piece bbl., and fugly rubber stocks...but all that notwithstanding, mine's as accurate with both jacketed and cast SWC's as I can possibly hold off a rest...sub-2" for a good hold at 25 yds.

Your mileage probably varies, but one of those three will do nicely, here 'bouts. Rod

Last edited:

Porsche911

I always thought "best" would just be my opinion. I apologize if I mislead you.

Most guys came back with their opinion which was what I wanted.

This S&W Model 27-1 is very rare but not the best.

Attachments

• 27-1.JPG
    27-1.JPG
    654.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 27-1b.JPG
    27-1b.JPG
    998.6 KB · Views: 41

Geezerbiker

I have a early 28 with a 6" barrel that is without a doubt my favorite revolver. My 3 screw Super Blackhawk comes a close second...

Some years ago I let a nicely tuned model 19 .357 slip though my hands and I'll always regret selling that one.

Tony

joed

I've owned model 27s and 28s and still have 2 28's. But, after my first .44 I was reeled in. I'm now a big fan of the .44 and my favorite is the Special. Here's a 24-3 that I've owned for a number of years.

1UQJBUxl.jpg

9mNdUhbl.jpg