The Best .38 Load For Snubbies?

Sulaco

I carry a S&W 637 in my pocket and am looking for the best defensive load for a .38 snubby. I would like to know what everyone uses and why. Ballistic info would be great.

I use CorBon ammo now but haven't looked at .38 ammo in a few years, hence my question.

Erich

There's been so much buzz lately about that new Speer round. I'm not sold: it's only 135 grains. I like more mass in my bullets to be sure to get to those hard-to-reach places, so I'm sticking with 158-gr +P LSWCHPs in my Agent. I may look at the Buffalo Bore 158-grainers when they come out this summer, but they might be a little too stout for my alloy-framed Colt from the '70s.

45+

As you can see, I'm new to the forum, and it is great to be here.

As to the ammo, like Erich I like 158 +P LSWCHP. I prefer the CorBon +P+ at about 1000 fps. Plenty of penetration to reach something vital.

telewinz

195 grain lead reload. I've done historic research on the .38 S&W and 38 S&W Special loaded with 200 grain bullets (Super Police load). Their performance is excellent based on their HEAVY bullet and low velocity (600-650 fps). This bullet has excellent momentum (seldon considered), penetration, accuracy, and often will "tumble" upon impact which insures 100% energy dumping and an impressive wound cavity. An awful lot in such a small package, an oldie but still a goodie. :)

telewinz

A heavy bullet may have less energy at the muzzle, but will have a greater proportion of this energy retained by the time that it reaches the target.
"One can think of energy absorption (of a target) as Force x Distance, and momentum absorption as Force x Time. Hence, the heavier but slower bullet with the same energy will travel the same distance in the absorbing material, but because of larger momentum, will take a longer time doing it. It will therefore also impart a greater "kick" to the absorber object."
More momentum means better application of kinetic energy to the target. If two projectiles have the same energy, then the heavier will have the greater momentum.
An important point worth repeating is that it is Terminal Momentum, not initial momentum that is important. Lightweight rounds with a high muzzle energy and momentum may not have this when they reach the target.
Most pistol bullets are loaded with rounds way below their optimum weight for the charge and calibre, so unless you start using very exotic handloads you are unlikely to get a bullet weight "too heavy" for the charge.
Once you have the heaviest bullet, find the highest velocity loading in that weight that you can handle. A slow-heavy bullet is better than a fast-light one, but a fast-heavy one even better.
Most medium calibre expanding rounds are too light. Tests indicate that bullets lighter than 200gr are far more likely to be deflected by an impact and veer off path, missing the internal structures that they were aimed at. The only medium calibre round that did not show this tendency in tests was the 200gr 38 Spl LRN round. Soft lead versions of this round had even more marked wounding

donglock26

I just switched from 125+P goldots to the 135gr.+P Golddots. The bullet looks a little longer and the opening is a little smaller(to retard expansion a bit for more penetration-IMHO).

Mannlicher

I am sticking with the 129 grain HydraShock. Why? For me, in my snubs, they are more accurate, they have recoil mild enough to insure a second and third rapid shot, they perform well in my informal tests on old clothes, sutffed with wet newspaper, and wood dowels, and I have a ton of them.

OBIWAN

I also follow the good Doctors advice and use the target wadcutters or the 158swchp's

After all...hitting your target is job 1

But I have some of the new speer loads to try...next week I may see things differently

fastbolt

The small J-frame guns seem to be the hardest for many folks to shoot controllably and accurately. Proficiency with these smaller revolvers generally seems to require additional practice, even for accomplished revolver shooters. Reduced grip frame dimensions, heavier triggers, shorter sight radius & more "basic" sights, more perceived recoil and controllability issues, etc.

Ammunition which generates greater perceived recoil, or more muzzle blast & flash, probably exacerbates this ... and I can certainly understand why some folks might wish to use the light recoiling & controllable wadcutters. Probably a very reasonable and sound choice for them.

After I first started carrying various J-frames, though, and reached a point where it didn't appreciably affect me whether I was using standard pressure or +P pressure ammunition, I used one or another of the 158gr LSWCHP/LHP loads for many years ... until the new Speer 135gr +P load was released.

The initial Speer testing appeared promising ... some other folk's limited subsequent testing appeared promising ... and a couple of random rounds we fired at a recent gelatin test session appeared promising (11"/.545 in bare gel & 11"/.551 in 4 layers of denim). While I'm not going to be getting rid of my inventory of Remington 158gr LHP +P anytime soon, I have bought some of the new 135gr +P GDHP load, and I'm currently carrying it in my 642.

Once the accuracy & controllability issues have been addressed ... for ME ... I'm concerned about placement, sufficient penetration, and then expansion ... just about in that order.

Sulaco

Thanks for the good info everyone. I think I may try out the new GD 135's.

I am slowly making a transition from CorBon defensive ammo to Speer GD defensive ammo as of late. I hope everyone takes a que from Speer and gets the ball rolling!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Lightweight rounds with a high muzzle energy and momentum may not have this when they reach the target.

Yeah, those light bullets shed so much velocity travelling the seven yards of your typical DGU. ;) The good old "Super Police" load... Do a search for a story that ends with the punchline: "Halt! Or I'll scratch your paint!" :p

I usually prefer heavier bullets. I've got a few guns loaded with 158gr LSWC-HP +Ps and a few loaded with 147gr +P+ HydraShoks, but my CCW piece is loaded with the new Gold Dots, as it seems to be the first good JHP loading that had good performance out of a 2" tube in mind...

Brian Williams

I carry 125 gr +p Speer gold dots. Only my 38 is a 940 in 9mm. My 3' model 60 does real well with Win PP +p 125 grs., I would like to try some of the new 135gr also.

Radicalcleric

A few years ago I decided to test how much velocity was lost in the short .38 Special. I was a little surprised to find that it wasn't all that much. The difference between a 4" and a 2" revolver in .38 Special was only 40-75 FPS depending on the load. Going to 6" of barrel helped raise it beyond the 4" readings but there was not much to choose between a 4 or a 2.

I carry handloads because I find all factory .38s under-loaded due to liability problems. I load 125 JHPs (Remington Golden Saber bullets) to around 1,200 FPS (actually below the maximum listed in my reloading manual of choice). I sort of doubt that there would be any huge differences in actual stopping power among all the various .38 Special loads with expanding bullets. The solids are famous for their lack of stopping power regardless of bullet weight. I think there needs to be some expansion in order to transfer shock to the target. Solids are said to just slip through and don't transfer energy very well.

Quantrill

Either a 168gr Keith SWC (Lyman #358429) over 10gr of 2400 or a 148gr wadcutter loaded to max STANDARD velocity. Quantrill