The AR15.

Death from Afar

I really like my Ar15. Serioulsy. It is the best rifle i have ever owned. It prints ting groups all day- and while it did require some gunsmithing, it shoots better than any bolt gun i have owned.

But it seems to me that in recent years the populariity of these rifles has just exploded. Guns and whammo (Sorry SWAT guys) have put out the book of the Ar15, you can buy more aftermarket products than ecver, and they can really be tricked, to a stupid level. What do you think has caused all this- lots of cheaper guns, the accessories or what?

Sixer

They look sweet, and there are endless possibilities to customize them. They are easy to maintain and fun to shoot. They are rugged and simple. Oh, and did I mention they are proven in combat.

I really cant think of any reason NOT to like the AR-15... I wish I would have bought mine sooner! :)

HiBC

So,once the Hawken muzzle stuffer was THE rifle to have,then those cotton picking breech loaders came along.
Folks got used to Trapdoors and Sharps and then those cotton picking lever guns came along.
Smokeless powder and a screaming velocity 30-30 with jacketed bullets!!
Just when you'd think it was enough,those war machine bayonet handles,the bolt gun showed up!!.
Folks carried them in battle,and DCM sold them cheap later.
Oh my gosh,folks started sticking those scopes on them to shoot far? Whats the matter?Weak eyes? Real men shoot open sights.

Folks only snuggled up so close to the Garand,not everybody thinks its as pretty as I do,and it doesn't scope too well

But the flattop AR?Nice triggers? freefloat tubes? 1 MOA? Frankly,they don't require such a multi-talented wood and steel skilled craftsman,just a decent mechanic who understands guns.
Why not AR's?
"Only Accurate Rifles Are Interesting" Townsend Whelen.

Tacman

Anyone who really likes the M-16 rifle isnt cleaning it right.

To Funny!

Big difference in the lives of our weapon systems. Depending on assignments

Sand in the desert, mud, grit and **** in the jungles, carbon buildup when firing hundreds and thousands of rounds.

or

Under the bed in a case or in a safe, out the door in a case into the trunk, carried to the range, taken out of case, shot 100 times, put back into case and into trunk, taken home, sit in front of tv and a pizza, "Wow this thing is still clean, I'll just punch the bore and I'm done."

God do I miss those days.:D

ringworm

The AR15 is the 1911 of the rifle world.
signs019.gif

Jermtheory

i agree...

the AR is actually reliable and not all that maintenance intensive.:p

although...both are extremely popular,highly customizable,and "as American as apple pie".