The AR World is Nonsensical: Here’s My Latest Contribution.

rickyrick

Ordered a 20” .450 Bushmaster upper by Radical from Primary Arms along with a carry handle sight by AeroPrecision and a Troy Battlesight HK style fixed front sight (non-flip)
I thought the upper came with a magazine, but I guess they don’t on the ones sold through PA. I have one coming from Bushmaster. I guess I could hand-feed some cartridges in it until the magazine arrives.
According to my research, this cartridge can be temperamental in feeding from a magazine, so I am anticipating having to do some tweaking in the future.
I have temporarily orphaned my 24” bull barreled upper for this project (a previous nonsensical project)
It’s the first complete upper that I have purchased, so fingers crossed. I’ve always assembled them myself.
Anyway here is the beast, looks ok so far. No fancy finish or anything. Made in Texas, so that’s a bonus… maybe lol.
I will probably use the carry handle on a different gun later on, after I get any kinks out. Hopefully I can fire it this weekend, but I may be preparing for the arctic plunge heading this way.

170c83c66ad120e4e48823b27857b714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44caliberkid

I love the Panzer muzzle brake, one reason I bought a Radical upper in 458 SoCom. I use ASC mags for the 450 Bushmaster and they work fine. Go ahead and try a 5.56 mag, because I think the only difference is the follower. I bought some 450 followers to convert regular AR magazines, but it’s been 5 or 6 years and I don’t remember if I used them or not.

rickyrick

Thanks for the tips, this is my first foray into big bore or single stack AR calibers.
I will probably order some followers soon.

I weighed choosing one of the bottle neck cartridges as a project, I’m really not going to be shooting long ranges in the near future. If I do, I have non-AR .308 rifles.

I landed on .450BM because of factory ammunition availability for now.

9x19

When I had one, I used the USGI 20 round mags with a replacement follower as well, and they worked just fine, no feeding issues.

rickyrick

I do like the "Panzer" style muzzle brake.

But, does it need it? The cartridge doesn’t look that BIG.
Panzer Thing is making me flinch by just looking at it.

Signed,
Feeling Apprehensive

44 AMP

Staff
Panzer Thing is making me flinch by just looking at it.

Really? it ought to be having the opposite effect. :D

IT adds a few ounces of steel, and reduces felt recoil. Plus, I think it looks cool, reminds me of the brake on the production model Panther tank (Pz V)

Since its already there, I wouldn't bother removing it, it doesn't hurt anything and might even help.

Remember the round fires a 250gr slug in the 2200fps range. That is neck and neck with a factory loaded .358 Win and only a couple hundred fps slower than a .35 Whelen or .350Rem Mag with the same bullet weight.

The bigger bore (.45) will change the feel of the recoil, and so will the straight line AR stock. Overall, I'd be glad to have a brake, and not so happy without one.

Interesting tidbit, the panzer style muzzle brakes were not installed for recoil reduction. They do that, some, but that was an added benefit, not the primary purpose. Their main benefit, on the tanks and anti-tank guns was redirecting some of the muzzle blast to the sides and not raising as much of a dust cloud directly in front of the muzzle. This allowed the gunner to get back on target a little faster. Same reason you find birdcage type flash hiders "clocked" with a solid bottom, so as to raise less dust and debris when fired close to the ground (prone).

rickyrick

Really? it ought to be having the opposite effect.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there due to the aggressive look of it.

I learned about muzzle blast kicking up dust back when I was killing coyotes with a Mini14 from the prone position.
I ended up installing a brake without ports in the bottom for that very reason. (At least I thought I installed it)
Funny thing, unnoticed to me, the roll pin hole for the brake was in the wrong position for the rifle and I ended up launching it into muzzle brake Valhalla two years later :D

Hopefully I can get out and fire the upper tomorrow, will certainly try it this weekend if only to test the functionality of it.

I do like the brake, won’t be removing it. Shooting it should be fun, it’s completely new to me.