The Ammo Shortage and Competition Shooting

NightSight

I tried a search but nothing came up for this even though I am sure this has been discussed. And I truly apologize for starting another ammo thread, but I have questions. I hope you all will indulge me for a few moments.:D I want to start getting into IDPA, but with ammo availability and prices less than optimal I am concerned. How are competition shooters faring while we patiently wait for ammo to settle back to normal?? Are there the same number of participants as before?? Have there been changes to stages to accommodate those who cannot find ammo??

Steviewonder1

Ammo Shortage and Competetion

Most of the IDPA Local matches that I have been to shoot 12 rounds per stage and have 4 courses at the indoor range. That is 1 box with 2 rounds left over. Those of us who have been shooting competetion for years reload and have lots of stock to reload with. Sometimes history is a good thing to learn from (the last primer shortage caused some of us to keep high stock levels of supplies). The USPSA monthly outdoor matches that I attend shoot between 130 and 160 rounds in 6 courses. All of the commercial ranges that I shoot at have a fair stock of reloaded ammo for sale.

sargenv

There seems to be the same # of IDPA and USPSA shooters at each of our local matches. The numbers are hovering near normal match capacity (60 ish for USPSA, at least 40-50 for IDPA. The supposed shortage hasn't really seemed to impact the people coming out.

mhburton

IDPA in Bulverde (San Antonio)

I am just getting started in IDPA, but we have about 70-75 shooters in our groups shooting 5 stages about 16 rounds each. If anything, we are getting more interest. Most of the veteran competitors reload. Some of the newer folks are having a little trouble finding ammo if they don't reload, but are managing.
I reloaded shot-shells for years and mulled over metallic reloading for a long time before prices and availability finally convinced me to start. Naturally I started in January just as primers and powder became hard to find, although I have managed to scrape up enough supplies to get me going pretty well. The big brown truck of happiness just delivered a couple of boxes from Berry's Mfg. and Midway the other day, so I can feed my Kimber Compact CDP and AR's for a while.:D
Ammo and reloading components are starting to show up a little at a time. I just bought some Remington LR primers and some IMR 4064 at one of the area gun shops, that have been absent for months.

Good luck with the IDPA matches! It is the most fun I have ever had shooting. Well worth the hassle of locating ammo and the 140 mile round trip to the range IMO.
Michael