The .45 Colt and accuracy in revolvers

oldcars

I like the .45 colt round and have owned a few revolvers in that caliber in the past. I already have dies, brass, and literally thousands of bullets in that caliber (estate buyout) I am looking for a good quality, american made, adjustable sight revolver in .45 colt, but the more research I do, the more confusing it gets. It seems like every gun I look into has the strong possabilty of problems. I have heard that some S&W's have the chambers or bore oversized,or the cylinder is too short. I have heard that some Rugers have the throats undersized? If I want a pre-lock S&W or a Ruger Blackhawk in .45colt and I want a very accurate gun, what model/age/serial number range should I look for to have the best chance? (I know all guns are different, I just want to stay away from potential issues)

Venom1956

Pre lock smith in .45 will probably be a bit more expensive then any Ruger.

Plus you can load .45s quite hot in Blackhawks or Redhawks, up to .44mag levels. I would suggest a Ruger personally.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I have a 6.5" Smith model 25-3, and as you say, the cylinder in that particular model is short, barely long enough for cowboy action loads. But I haven't found that to be a problem as that's usually all I shoot anyhow. I do occasionally put Buffalo Bore's Standard Pressure, Heavy Loads through it with no problem, but the gun isn't designed for anything hotter than that anyhow.

A friend bought a 25-5, in which the cylinder is a little longer, and he has put several Buffalo Bore hot loads through it without a problem, but I strongly recommend against it. If you want to shoot hot stuff, go with the Ruger.

As to accuracy, it's without a doubt one of the most accurate handguns I own, and it's a real pleasure to shoot. Gunbroker occasionally has 25's going in the neighborhood of $500, and I think it's well worth it.

longranger

Probably one of the best and most accurate .45 Colt's ever made was a 6" Colt Anaconda,MM serial #,one of the later ones.next would be a S&W 25,pick your dash # then a Ruger Red Hawk. Any one of those would be a fine choice.

mavracer

the newer rugere post 2007 with the lock are manufactured with a process that uses one bit to do all 6 chambers. They are more consistant.although the older rugers are an easy fix have the throats reamed and an 11 degree forcing cone and my old Vaquero will consistantly shoot under 2" at 25 yards

oldcars

Some questions about Blackhawks: If I ordered an new current model 4 5/8" blued Blackhawk in 45colt it's still on the regular "New Model" larger frame right? is the grip frame and ejection rod housing still aluminum? is the warning still on the side of the barrel like forever or did they move it underneath like the others? would a standard "New Model" blackhawk brass grip frame fit? (I have never played with one of the lock-equiped blackhawks) do they come with wood grips still, or did they all switch to plastic? Are they actually blued or some weird painted finnish?

Sorry for all the questions!, I don't live within 100 miles of a gun store that stocks them and I would like to know a few things before I order one!

Thanks !

JayCee

It's not a Ruger or a Smith & Wesson, but if you want the ultimate in accuracy in a 45 Colt, take a look at a Freedom Arms Model 97:

IMG_4148.jpg

Here's what this one is capable of, off a rest at 50 yards:

45ColtFATarget1.jpg

rep1954

Mavracer, The current NM 45 Colt Blackhawk is built on the large frame and the grip frame and ejector rod housing are still made from aluminum with some kind of heavy anodizing on them. I'm not sure about the cylinder mouths as far as size is concerned but if they run small as in the past you can have them opened up by just sending the cylinder to a good gunsmith. The new grip frame does have the internal lock but is still replacable with any of the older XR3RED style grip frame as long as the hammer strut, spring, and spring stop are changed also with the old non lock style. The warning has been moved to the bottom of the barrel and the grip panels now come stock as plastic. I believe Ruger offers wood relacements in thier catalog. If you have to change the grips and open the cylinder mouths it still is one of the best buy's in a adjustable sight packing gun there is.

Last edited:

jmortimer

I know the new Vaqueros specs are right on the money. The Old Vaqueros not so much. I have owned both and the the new Vaquero is a thing of beauty. Its smaller size fits my hand like a glove. Don't know about the current production Blackhawks but I hope the specs are good as I want one.

HoraceHogsnort

I'm with JayCee on this one. Put your money in a savings account and keep adding to it from each paycheck until you can afford an FA. The Model 97 is a really fine gun. The Model 83 can be purchased with two cylinders, 454 Casull/45 Colt and will be all the SA revolver you'll ever need. ;)

robctwo

I have a couple .45 Colts

I started out with a Ruger Blackhawk, 4 5/8". The throats were way under sized. I did a DIY job and am pleased.

I then bought the S&W 25 Classic. It has the lock. It has MIM. It has correct throats and is very accurate. I put a Wolff reduced spring kit in it and it is a great gun.

I bought a 25-13 Mountain gun. Throats are correct, gun is good, not great.

I bought the Ruger Bisley SS 5" convertible. Throats are correct, gun is accurate. I need a trigger job.

I bought a S&W 25-7. No lock. 5" barrel, non fluted cylinder. Throats are correct, trigger is great, very nice gun.

I shoot a lot of 200 gr swc with 6 gr Red Dot. My 25 Classic busts clay birds on the birm at 60 yards with some regularity. It is the most accurate.

oldcars

Those FA are beautiful guns, but not quite what I am in the market for right now. I am thinking more along the lines of a New Blackhawk or a pre-lock S&W. I want the gun light enough to pack around all day. Plus, I can bring myself to spend the $400 on a Blackhawk or $500-600 on a used S&W but the FA is a little more than I am willing to spend on something that is going to get shoved in a holster, rained on, dusty on the pickup seat, scratched on brush, etc. I just need to know what series/models/years to stay away from from a general accuracy standpoint due to tight throats on Rugers and oversize ones on S&W's.

wdelack

Your fairly limited if looking in the $400 to $600 price range, and wanting American made and accurate. This would rule out inexpensive guns like the Taurus 450. You might be able to find a Dan Wesson model 45 but these are hard to locate and are pushing over $600 now, and likely weigh a little too much (but you do get a lot of barrel options). So yea, a Blackhawk or Vaquero would be good choices.

GeauxTide

My Ruger Blackhawk Convertible and Bisley are both very accurate. My standard line with them is to install a Belt Mountain Base Pin, Bowen Rough Country Rear Sights, and a trigger job after 250 loads that clock over 1000fps.

BODAME

45 Long Colts-Carry Guns

I Second the Ruger Blackhawk,New or Old Vaquero.
If you are looking for a All Day Carry. I will introduce you to my
45 Long Colt Carry Gun in a Sheriff's Model carried in a Holliday Rig.
The Short Barrel cuts down on the weight.
091.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
I have a new model Blackhawk convertible, 7.5" bought new in 1983. It will put 5 shots in one ragged hole at 50ft, with the 6th one just barely out, with the right ammo. It is completely stock parts, except for Pachmyr grips, and an action job I did on it shortly after I got it. At 200yds, that 6th round is a couple feet off, but the other 5 all hit the rifle gong target.

NO matter what the internet says about the cylinder throats, they weren't all bad. I did some experiment with real heavy loads early on (don't we all?) but settled on a 250gr SWC at just under 1100fps for my shooting. My gun has gone through several thousand rounds of this, and is still functionally perfect. The finish has picked up a few marks over the years, but it just adds to the character. And it has a no creep, no backlash trigger that breaks at 12oz! I love that gun! I can balance a dime on the front sight and it stays there until the hammer hits the frame!

I recently picked up a pair of Vaqueros (ss, 4 5/8 bbl), a blued (and fake case hardened) 5.5" and a New Vaquero 5.5", but I haven't done any real shooting with them yet. I'll give them a good wringing out this coming spring.

They say the new guns are better than the old ones, I'll believe it when I see it, but if they are, then they will be pretty good, because my old ones are pretty good already!

I have several 45 colt platforms, but my most accurate is a single shot Contender with a 10" barrel... not a revolver...

so far, all my 45 colt revolvers are fixed sight guns... but with the budget the O.P. has set... if you only want a new gun... Ruger is the best bet... but if you could do used... you might find a S&W that falls into that bracket...

I have a Dan Wesson 44 mag snubbie ( change barrel design ) that could be fitted with either a 4" or 6" barrel... while these are heavy guns, I find my snubbie set up to be quite easily carried, with a good rig, a 4" shouldn't be too bad, & with slightly bigger ( 45 ) chambers & barrel, would likely weigh less than my 44... however finding a 45 might be challenging...