The 1k yard range kicked my butt today!

ndking1126

I recently joined a 1k yard range but only got to shoot at 400 the first time I went out. It was the first I'd shot past 100 with this rifle and scope. I knew my rifle was zeroed so I dialed in for 400 yards according to my ballistics program and hit it on my first shot of the day. I didnt miss at 400 except for once, and it was definitely my fault.

Today, my second trip to the range, I was apparently over-confident and went straight to the 1k range with my precision rifle. That voice of reason inside of me was saying go shoot 600 and 800 first to confirm the drop from the ballistics program... but I didn't!

It didn't go so well because I didn't have a spotter and there isn't a sand berm behind the gong. I couldn't tell where my shots were impacting. After shooting 20 rds, I drove down and noticed I had one hit at the very top of the target. Based on that, I'm assuming the rest were too high. If I could have seen my impacts I know I would have had many more hits.

I took my hunting rifle to the 600 yard berm and had a few hits, although by this time I could tell I wasn't shooting as well as I was earlier and my eye was tired so I packed it up and headed home.

In honor of one of my favorite gun websites, the Box o Truth... Today we learned:
1. Shooting is fun.
2. Shooting at 1k without being able to see impacts is an easy way to waste ammo.
3. Ballistic programs will only get you close. You've got to shoot and see what your actual drop is.
4. 260 Rem will definitely work at 1k, but you can't hear the impact on the gong.
5. The cost of range membership is totally worth it!

Last edited:

TXAZ

+1 for a target cam.
Much easier and cheaper than a good sporting scope.
Just make sure you don’t hit the camera :)

raimius

Yeah, spotting is incredibly useful.
Your barrel, ammo, and atmospheric conditions make an impact as well.

ndking1126

Interesting ideas everyone, thanks! I'm trying to get a trip put together so I can take a shooting partner. He joined the same range, we just haven't been able to get our schedules aligned yet.

Stag, I like the seld-depricating humor! :D. It's like golf... you only need 1 or 2 good shots to make you want to come back.

cslinger

I’ve said it once and I will say it again. I couldn’t get a round on target at that range if FedEx’d there.

TXAZ

I’ve said it once and I will say it again. I couldn’t get a round on target at that range if FedEx’d there.
Hey cslinger
If you can shoot a 2” group at 100 yards I expect you can hit a 36” target at 1000 even with a little wind, if you can plug a few numbers into an online or smartphone based ballistic app.

Bfglowkey

The average shooter with a knowledgeable instructor can be shown/coached to making hits at 1k in about 20-45 minutes and in many cases less. Now repeating those hits for the same 5 shot string as say a sub MOA group at 100yds is vastly a different story. Even more so if alone. I admit I have the LR bug. Its even more so now that I have my own large parcel of property and can shoot out to 1400 safely on my own property and not have to worry about range memberships etc. That said I try and shoot LR 2 times a week and on average I only land 4/10 shots when I am alone and it jumps to 7/10 when my neighbor joins me ( who is just like me...enough knowledge to be effective but not an expert by any means) Spotters are every bit as important as a good scope or ammo. I love it when its windy cause I miss like crazy but I get some great data!

std7mag

Hence the mantra of "If you can't see it, you can't hit it".

Recent match i was at shooting 100, 200, 300, 400 yards with 223 Rem. Mirage was BAD!
Couldn't see bullet holes at 300 yards, even with spotters.
I didn't shoot the 400 yard target. Would have been just throwing lead downrange.
Did well enough at my closer distances that i still finished 3rd in factory rifle.

Shooting 600 yard F Open match i found out that even a small windage was enough to push me out.

Under certain conditions (other shooters, road noise, etc.) Sometimes you can't hear hits at 300 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag.

ndking1126

The wind that day wasnt bad, but it was blowing straight into my face. Well, maybe 11:45 to 5:45 (using an analog clock to show direction).

I'm with TXAZ and Bfglowkwy. If you can shoot a reasonable group at 100, you can get at least a few hits at 1k as long as you can see it and the wind is calm or at least consistent.

I have my uncle to blame for my long range bug. I had always assumed I was the main reason for my accuracy problems, but he convinced me my equipment wasn't up to the task. He was right! (I have a Savage rifle with a Shilen match barrel and 5-25 PST Gen 2. It makes a huge difference!) I had been reading and trying to learn how to shoot more accurately but wasnt seeing progress. Once I got a consistent rifle I was able to see how my changes in technique affected POI. All that information I learned started to make sense and I have seen significant improvement. 400-600 yard shots feel basically automatic as long as i focus on trigger pull, breathing, etc. I can tell I need some more practice at 1k, specifically with reading wind and mirage. I'll get there though!

TXAZ

One other datapoint: At 1000 yards & beyond, nearly all weapons will be on a bipod or sandbags in the front. The trick is to get the back end set on target then ***Don't touch the weapon*** other than activating the trigger. Safely backstop the weapon to ensure weapons control but minimize mechanical coupling of your body to the weapon.

Why?

With a good scope and holding your gun too tight without front / rear bags/ bipod, you can see both your heartbeat, respiration and your cell phone ringing in your pocket.

Seriously.

ndking1126

Absolutely, I agree. I was shooting off a 9-13" bipod with a squeeze bag. On their 400 yard range, that set up was easy to get the rifle right on target without me having to hold or adjust. The 1K yard range was a lot flatter and I couldn't get the rifle to rest so easily on it's own. if my bag was flat, the rifle was aiming too high. if it was on end, it was pointing too low.

I got a 6-9" bipod and 40 more rounds from the UPS man yesterday... lol. Can't wait to get back out there.

TXAZ

I’m looking at adding an "AirShim" small lifting bag to the backend as I think it will add a very very precise elevator to the ballistic equation.

Air Shim

By the way nd, what rifle are you using @ 1000?

Last edited:

ndking1126

Interesting device. For me, I'm good with a bipod and squeeze bag, but that's about it. I feel like I need to have some sort of direct input to the shooting. I'm not expecting f-class competition level accuracy. I just want to see what I'm capable of. Also, I used to live in Colorado and I never got an elk. One day I'm going back and I want to be prepared to shoot to 600. I know shooting from a bench isn't the same thing as shooting from a field position, but it's where I'm starting. I've already noticed that once you spend time at 1k, 600 seems a whole lot closer, lol.

I'm shooting a Savage 10 action, Shilen 1:8 Match barrel, B&C medalist stock, Rifle Basix trigger (soon to be replaced by a Timney), Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x scope. It shoots Hornady 129Gr Superformance SST ammo into ridiculously small groups when its warm outside and I do my part. In the cooler fall, it still shoots them pretty well, but not quite as tight.

My hunting rifle is a Savage 110, 270 Win Shilen barrel, B&C Sporter, soon-to-be Timney trigger, and a Leupold VX3i 4-14x40. It shoots like 130 Grain Federal Fusion like it's match ammo.

Just bought another 110 in 7mmRM for an elk rifle.. I'm thinking I'll try a Hoque with the full aluminum bedding block on this one. It's going to be a safe queen for a little while though while I save up some extra funds.

ndking1126

If you're the only one shooting your rifle, you're doing your part for every shot fired.

True, but sometimes I do it a lot better than other times, and that's really what I was talking about. If I'm not shooting well, clearly the groups won't be as small as they could be.