Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Springfield GI-45

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Springfield Mil-Spec

Votes: 46 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Full-choke

I have recently made a decision that I am going to save up for and purchase a 1911 pistol. After looking at S&W, Kimber, Colt, Taurus, Para and Springfield I have decided on Para or Springfield.

I really like the looks of the Paras but Springfield makes some nice ones as well.

The models that interest me follow:
Para PXT 1911 SSP (7+1 Cap)
Para PXT 1911 SSP-SE1 (8+1 Cap)
Para PXT 1911 SSP Gun Rights (7+1 Cap)
Para Nite-Tac (7+1 Cap)
Springfield GI 45 (7+1 Cap)
Springfield Mil-Spec (7+1 Cap)

Which do you guys think is the better pistol out of those models?

Thanks,
F-C

WESHOOT2

applied logic vs ain't my money

Lesseenow, where is Para made?

And can a gun needing warranty service easily be shipped to Canada?

I am NOT knocking the ParaOrdnance family of 1911s.

bclark1

Springfield Mil-Spec is an awesome pistol for the money, few extras over the GI but simple and works. I think I hear more grief about the spendy ones than praise. No experience with Para but SA has a good thing goin'. I like my S&W a lot too, but it's probably another hundred bucks or so over the price of a Mil-Spec. Capacity with single-stack 1911s is sort of a "whatever" issue, because there are so many aftermarket mags you just buy what you like, whether that's 1, 7 or 20 rounds. You can get large mag base pads to make it prettier or cleaner with extended mags that go past the bottom of the grip.

sgt-spam

I have a SA Mil-Spec and I absolutely love it.

They have fantastic customer service, and their custom ship does spectacular work.

I would buy SA again in a heartbeat.

Full-choke

Capacity does not worry me at all really. I like the single stack 1911's because they just feel a little more natural in the hand, IMO. I don't need the extra capacity either as I won't be shooting it a lot. Sure I will take it out to the range here and there but not all the time. This gun will be more for HD or just for the fun in owning a 1911 because I have always wanted one.

F-C

ranburr

I have seen more out of the box issues with Para than any other brand in its' price range. Couple that with the fact that it uses a cast slide and frame vs the Springer's forged slide and frame. Springfield is the way to go.

M1911

None of the above.

I've got a Para P14. It has suffered many failures to feed. In addition, after a couple thousand rounds through it the hammer started following the slide down. So I had to have the hammer, sear, and disconnector replaced. In addition, the slide itself is very soft, and as a result the slide stop notch has become badly misshapen.

I also have a Springfield Armory 1911. This gun had Springfield's two-piece barrel and was very inaccurate even though barrel lockup was quite good. Shot side-by-side, my 4" Kimber Compact was significantly more accurate than my 5" Springfield. In addition, the Springfield had significant creep in the trigger and a disconnector with a bad blade that was not even close to straight. Finally, I don't like the profile of the front strap on the Springfield -- it is very square and blocky. I've since had the Springfield gun's problems fixed (new hammer and sear, new barrel, new bushing), but now I've got as much into the gun as a low-end custom.

I wouldn't get a Series II Kimber because I'm not sold on the Schwartz style safety. I suggest you save your money and get a higher end gun like a Wilson or find a good 1911 gunsmith and go full custom.

M1911

They have fantastic customer service, and their custom ship does spectacular work.
A friend of mine sent his Springfield to the custom shop for service. They did a very attractive melt job on it. In addition, the fit of the slide to the frame when viewed from the rear was really very, very nice.

Unfortunately, the barrel lockup was poor. There was noticeable movement when I pushed down on the barrel hood. The trigger had noticeable creep. We fired it side-by-side with my 5" series I Kimber (with 5000 rounds through it) and the Kimber was noticeably more accurate than his brand new Springfield.

His Springfield sure was pretty, though.

Sorry, but I just can't recommend Springfields. The two that I've seen (mine and his) were just not acceptable.

Hornett

I can't recommend one over the other, but I can relate what happened to me. I had issues with my Para LTC. The hammer followed the slide every now and then. I sent it in and they fixed it and I got it back in 3 to 4 weeks.
Their CS is not in Canada. They have a domestic CS that you ship the guns to. It was in Tennessee. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

YukonKid

I can't give insight on any of those particular models but I choose SA over Para so thats where I stand. I think that base model guns are fun and they let you customize them yourself.

YK

45_Shooter

I had a couple of bad experiences with Springer, one very bad (slide broke in half). The guns I had must have been flukes, as most people seem to have pretty good luck with Springfields, and I wouldn't hesitate to try again. My gunsmith favors Springfield over Para as well, so thats probably what I'd go with.

OneClownDown

I'm another with problems with my Springfield, its a SS Loaded model. When I first got, I had numerous FTF's with any type of hollow point, it feed RNB just fine. While shooting RNB, it shot 6" low point of aim vs point of impact at only 10 yards. Sent back to Springfield. FTF's went away with a polish job, sights were replaced, and POI was raised to where it only shoots 2" low at 10yds. After buying my Sig GSR, I probably won't be buying another Springfield 1911 again.

torpeau

I have a SA Mil-Spec and I absolutely love it.

There's your answer -- go with the one that has good customer service.

88cupfan

My Springfield TRP eats any type of ammo I feed it and has never had a hick-up of any kind. Its an Operator Model with a Bull Barrel and is more accurate than I am. The trigger is crisp and the Armor Kote finish is tough as nails. It is as custom-like a 1911 as money can buy and with the Loaded coupon that you recieve with a new purchase, you can order extra mags and other gear from Springfield at a very reasonable price. I dont know about their lower priced pistols, but for a guy that only throws 600-800 rounds down range a year, the TRP is a great pistol for carry and HD.

michael t

Lesseenow, where is Para made?

And can a gun needing warranty service easily be shipped to Canada?

I am NOT knocking the ParaOrdnance family of 1911s.

Their warrenty service in TN I know I used it. No Para fort me.

For the money Make mine a Dan Wesson Best 1911 I own . Better than my Kimber or the several Colts I have.

Norrick

i can't realy compare shooting them because I've only ever fired my Para. I've held plenty of others, and its all preference.

The customer service for Para is good from my experience. I had a poor fitment issue and there was some wear on the dust hood. I sent it in and they adjusted it to tolerance, refinished the slide and replaced the hammer, firing pin, and one of the springs while they were at it, free of charge.

WESHOOT2

mine

I notice I now own three 5" Springfield Armory 1911s, one each in 9x19, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

All were bought or traded into used; that's why they're the brand they are (to me, an "acceptable" brand).
All, surprisingly, were flawless upon arrival.
NONE remain as they were when they got here; all have been customized (two modified radically, the 40 still closer to the 'way it was').

I don't care about brand name; I care about quality.

Last edited:

bikerbill

I have a Springfield Loaded Champion, absolutely love it ... it's my nightstand gun because 1. it's got excellent night sights 2. it has NEVER failed to feed or fire, after more than 1,000 rounds ... except for Corbon DPX ... it won't take the first round out of the mag from slidelock ... I use Pow'RBall 165gr +ps, it's fantastic .. have no experience with Paras; just bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II today; wanted a Springfield EMP but they are impossible to find, also over $1,000 at the same gun show where I got the Kimber for $675.

Doctor K

I have a Para Tac 4 and it is one of my most accurate pistols. It has the LDA trigger system and I feel completely safe carrying it. Almost as accurate as my Kimber Gold Match.

Doc