That One rifle you wished you had back.

AL45

For me it was a Winchester Model 9422m .22 magnum. I bought it when I was young, dumb and broke, and had to sell it in order to pay a car repair bill. It was deadly accurate and felt right at home in my hands. I have never forgotten that gun. Excuse me while I grab a Kleenex.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Three, really. One is the Rem 550 I had as a kid.

Then, an 1892 in .44-40, NRA 85%-90%.

Last, an 1895 saddle-ring carbine, .30-03, military proof marks, NRA 90%.

nate45

My first pre-64 Model 70 Winchester. It was a standard grade .30-06 made in 1939. It had a Lyman 48 peep sight and shot beautiful groups. I have a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight .308 made in 1954 and a 1962 Model 70 Alaskan .375 H&H now, but neither one takes the place of that old .30 Govt' 06. :( I needed trade money to get other stuff back then. I traded it on a Mauser Model 66 with a Kahles Scope and three barrels, so it wasn't like I suffered too bad. :)

Last edited:

farmboy

How about one I held once but never actually bought but should have?

I screwed up and didn't buy a Marlin 1894CB in .32 Mag. How can I regret the loss of a rifle I never owned?

PawPaw

Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. I never reloaded for that rifle because it was so darned accurate with green box factory ammo. I lived on a farm then, and I'd shoot crows with it at 250-300 yards to stay tuned up for deer season. Before long, the crows learned to stay away from my fields. I lost that rifle during the financial dynamic of a divorce. I miss the rifle a lot more than I miss the woman.

eastbank

i had a win 1886 special order 45-90,double set triggers, tang sight,three leaf rear sight and extra four inchs of barrel in 96-97% condition. a friend started stacking up one hundred bills when they reached 6000.00 i folded and he got the rifle. i get to visit every once in a while. eastbank.

AllenJ

The first rifle I ever purchased, a Remington model 700BDL in 30/06. That gun shot sub MOA with my reloads (150 grn Sierra SBT and IMR4350) and I had no idea what I had. I sold it to a friend to fund purchasing a Browning A Bolt in 300 Win Mag. I've never got the A Bolt to shoot sub MOA and the friend, after shooting the Remington, was quick to point out that I was an idiot for ever selling it. What are friends for:eek:

L_Killkenny

2 for me. An early 90's Mini-14 ranch and a 70's Winchester 94 .30-30 Trapper with a bad (i.e. rusted) receiver. I'd buy back either if I had the chance.

RevGeo

A very nicely sporterized M-96 Swede carbine in 6.5x55. I shot deer and elk with it and packed it over a lot of mountains and fields. It had a nice Lyman receiver sight, 18" barrel and was a tack driver. I usually loaded 140gr bullets over H380 powder. Man, what a great gun. My ex-wife got it.

Cheapshooter

Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine. Bought from a Army/Navy surplus store as we ued to call them back in the 60's. First deer rifle. In new condition still packed in cosmo for thirty five bucks.
Traded many years later, 10 or so ago, for a Hakim.
Guess what was one of the main reasons for my signature line?:eek: