That New Kahr Smell

larryf1952

I've entered the world of polymer framed, DAO pistols with this new Kahr CW9. I picked it up on March 1st, but haven't shot it yet. I might have some time to get to the range tomorrow...I hope. I've heard a lot of positive reports about the CW's, and I liked the way that it feels for such a light and thin gun. Can't wait to try it out!

KahrCW9-1.jpg

notoriousM3

I've owned a PM9 for 5 years and I love it. Its my daily concealed weapon of choice. I think you've made a great decision.:)

JCP281

My advice: once you take it to the range and get your hand grated off, go snag a brooks tactical Agrip. It ads no thickness to the grip and gives you an EXCELLENT purchase on the grip. I used to have one on my old CW9.

PSP

Some people find the Hogue or Pachmayr grip sleeves a good addition to the polymer Kahrs. I like the finger bump for a little firmer grip feel.

Remember to lube the rails in the frame dust cover.

I suggest you read the manual to pick up on the Kahr needs and idiosyncrasies.

Here's a link to a good video on trigger control, very appropriate for the DAO Kahr trigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdXmcdB5WE

Have fun with your new Kahr.

kahrwithhoguehandall.jpg

Last edited:

franco45

I solved the grip problem (if you want to call it that) with a Crimson Trace laser which wraps around the trigger guard and the front of the grip. My CW9 has been a very reliable and concealable friend.

CWKahrFan

FWIW I guess I must have thick-skinned carpenter hands... like the feel and performance of the stock Kahr poly-grips the way they are... but it's all good. Whatever she's wearing (or not), CW9's a sweet shooter. Mine has been 100% reliable since round one. Congrats... Hope you post a range report when you get around to it...

JCP281

Mines out for delivery....:D cant wait to get the call from the dudes at the shop. They better call today lol

El Fumador

CWKahrFan said:
FWIW I guess I must have thick-skinned carpenter hands... like the feel and performance of the stock Kahr poly-grips the way they are... but it's all good.

:D Same here, I love my CW9. Enjoy yours. :)

Squibb

Great choice; and love the play on words in your title. I collected 3rd Gen S&W pistols, but the CW has replaced them all as my EDC. I use the Hogue Jr. add on, as well; but I turn it upside down. For some reason that ridge is too high, otherwise.

I also carry the CW45, now and then. And, I'm just waiting for the CM9; it's going to be the same size as the PM9, only a couple of hundred less, as it is a'la CW.

EdInk

+1 FOR THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!

Congrats on the new pistol. I have one and really like it. The Hogue Handall Jr. is a great investment. It really helps improve the grip.

bikerbill

Been EDC a PM9 since '04, never failed in any way, accurate at SD distances ... the grips are a little rough, but I don't shoot a thousand rounds through it at a sitting, a box every range session is plenty ... good choice, enjoy ...

WVsig

I got one for Valentines Day from the wife. :D I like it so far. My only issue is the long DAO trigger. When I shoot it back to back with a BHP or even a Sig DA/SA I really notice it.

It is a smooth trigger but it is longer than I am used to. It seems like I am waiting on it and really have to pull through it vs just break it. As a defensive weapon I think it will work. I found it to be accurate enough in my hands to fit its intended purpose. I have shot about 300 trouble free rounds and it is currently loaded up with 127 grain +P+ Winchester Rangers.

larryf1952

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement on the new CW9...and for the rare inspiration regarding the thread title...those happen much less frequently as I get older, so I have to take advantage of them when they strike. :D

I didn't get to shoot the gun today, as the wife said that she'd like to try it, too, so I'm going to wait until she's available and we can both go to the range together.

Thanks also for the tips on the grip sleeves...I've heard tales of the rough surface textures on the Kahrs being a bit of a problem for a lot of people, but I've never shot one beore, so I'll have to see for myself. I like the looks of the sleeve with the finger bump that PSP posted. Is that a Hogue or a Pachmayr?

Anyway, since the wife couldn't go to the range with me today, I opted to take the new Desert Eagle 1911 instead. I still had fun. ;) Hope everyone has a great weekend!