Thanks

kaylorinhi

Last night.
My Wife, Myself and a friend were driving home from the 2115 showing of Tourist at the local Cinema Cafe. After merging, the black in color BMW 5 series, in front of us, starts acting like he is preventing me from passing during a NASCAR short track race. So I ask my wife if I am following to closely, she is very defensive in driving nature, she says no, I am three car lengths at about 50 mph. I decided to pass him after watching him disregard both side lane markings. Probably a duece, but not my call, so I hung back and took my jacket off, If I had to exit my vehicle it would be a deadly force situation. I decided to just lag back a bit and wait to see what would happen. I also pre-staged my phone to the emer call button and and my wife put his plate number in her phone as a note just to have it. Nothing ever came of it and he exited before I felt safe calling the police and it was a mojor housing area after the exit and knew it would be a ghost chase. At one time I would, probably, had provoked it! Maturity and advise go along way. Thanks Guys

montelores

Just curious - was there any reason that you didn't pull over to the side of the road and let him go on his way? Maybe I don't understand the situation.

Driving on public roads is where I fear for my families safety more than anywhere else. "Arrive alive" is my motto.

Monty

kaylorinhi

The "offending" driver (in left lane) got beside another car (right lane) and matched speed so I just got over (right lane) and stayed behind the "sane" driver and waited for him to get off at his exit, best mix I guess?

Mike

sirsloop

For real... if you are preparing your jacket, phone, etc you probably should have just abruptly pulled over. Ya know, pull over, let the dude go on his way, 1 minute later pull back out into traffic. If the dude was really out to get you, he would have pulled over and waited. Then its time to get your phone and jacket ready. I don't see how a guy preventing you from passing would be a deadly force situation. If the dude has his mind set on not letting you pass at speed... who cares. Let him block. You'd trade a couple minutes on the road for shooting someone cause you wanted to force a pass? :confused:

I know its difficult some times to swallow your pride and "let these people get away with it". Fact is when you are carrying a pistol you have to let it go. If you can't you probably shouldn't be packing.

mrgoodwrench76

Its good that you did not provoke it intentionally but by your statement

I am three car lengths at about 50 mph

and according to every state law that I've lived in, thats too close. 1 car length per 10mph is the general rule of thumb. I try to give it a little more, mainly because of instances that you speak of. There are some very angry, easily provoked people out there that your just better off staying away from.

Considering this statement

If I had to exit my vehicle it would be a deadly force situation

and the fact that this is a firearms forum, are we to assume that you were armed? Putting myself in your situation, I think readying my firearm would be a bit premature at that point but again, based on assumptions. I wasn't there so I dont see the true reality of the situation.

Fact is when you are carrying a pistol you have to let it go. If you can't you probably shouldn't be packing.

Excellent point!

All in all, I'd say you handled it very well, and I for one am glad you made it home safely. At the end of the day, thats what its all about.

jglsprings

In Colorado we have have a special cell phone number "*CSP" that allows you to report aggressive drivers directly to the state patrol dispatcher. I've done that a number of times and once they actually tagged the guy a bit farther down the road. I've also used that number for non emergency issues as well. (Homeless people walking on the interstate at night, etc)

I do that instead of getting wound up and then the police have the tag numbers on file if anything happens later on.

You never know what is setting someone else off. My job is to get back home to my wife and kids.

jeepstrapped

Congrats on staying calm.

My routine, now that I am calmer.
Pull into a rest area, getting that age anyways.
Slow intersections on Interstate, pull on the offramp, look really hard both ways, cross the highway get on the on ramp.
Then again, I live in the western midwest. Not really something you could easily do on the Jersy turnpike.
In general, whatever it takes to get 5 minutes of time. But, I'm not real big on pulling over onto the side of the road. There are crazy drivers behind ya too.