thanks for advice on grips - Ruger Vaquero

btmj

Thanks to all who offered advice on grips for my New Vaquero. I love the gun, but I just could not abide those black hard polymer grips that come from the factory.

I went with Eagle Gunfighter grips, rosewood with no checkering.... It makes for a sharp looking revolver, in my opinion. The gunfighter profile makes it easier to get a consistent grip. I recommend Eagle Grips.

Jim

Attachments

• L_DSC06438.JPG
    L_DSC06438.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 188

btmj

The fit was good. One of the stocks fit perfectly. The other required some light sanding with 120 grit up at the top near the hammer. The area that was sanded is completely enshrouded by the grip frame / lower receiver, so none of the visible finish of the rosewood was affected. It took about 3 minutes.

Honestly, the fit was so close, I probably could have forced it. On a cooler day, with less humidity, it might have fit perfectly. Wood is funny like that.

wheelyfun

Look great!
I have Eagle grips on all my single actions, and have used them for a S&W double action revolver as well!

dgludwig

No, the frame is biger on the old one.

Thanks. I knew that the frame was larger but I thought maybe the grip size might be the same. For instance, the grips from a Ruger Blackhawk fit on my SuperSingleSix perfectly.

Hawg

The Blackhawk, Vaquero, Single Six and Old Army all use the same grip frame. The New Vaquero is different.

dgludwig

Thanks Hawg Hagen. Is the New Vaquero's grip the same as any other Ruger sa revolver or is it unique to itself?

savit260

Is the New Vaquero's grip the same as any other Ruger sa revolver or is it unique to itself?

The New Vaquero shares the same grip frame (and grips) with the mid frame, Flat Top New Model Blackhawks, and also the large frame 50th Anv. 44 Magnum Blackhawk.