Thank you to the American Pistolsmiths Guild

dakota.potts

Wanted to say a thank you to the American Pistolsmiths Guild for recognizing the issues facing gunsmithing students and the reality that there is a lot going against aspiring gunsmiths on the path to learning. They have created a scholarship for gunsmithing students nearing graduation, which I am happy to say I have been awarded.

Not only is the financial aid of the scholarship greatly important for a student to meet their goals, there are other great benefits such as student membership to the guild and full support of other members. I also received a number of parts from supporting industry partners. This includes drop in 1911 parts from Cylinder&Slide and Caspian Arms, Ten Ring Solvent, Tripp Research Cobra 1911 magazines, C More Colt Python sight inserts, an SDM 1911 frame holding fixture, and a couple assorted other small tools and supplies which I look forward to using.

The groups that directly supplied things to me are the American Pistolsmiths Guild, Brownell's, Mag-na-port, Ten Ring Precision, SDM, Cylinder&Slide, Caspian, Tripp Research, and C-More. More about the scholarship and its contributors can be found here http://americanpistolsmithsguild.com/scholarship-program/

This is a huge opportunity for me as it allows me the flexibility to focus on my studies, gain valuable contacts, and some flexibility in trying new projects and tools. Wanted to say thanks to all of the groups that made it possible.

5whiskey

Dakota I remember a lot of your posts and know you have worked hard to try and live your dream. I pray that it works out well for you man, and one day when I'm old and gray I hope I can order a custom Dakota pistol/rifle/shotgun. I have dreamed of opening a LGS/gunsmith business for about 10 years now, but alas it seems like for every one that makes it 10 of them fold in a year or two. So... I just keep with my crummy career in law enforcement, trying to do a few side gigs (legally) here and there like make custom grips and whatnot. Mostly try to somewhat compete in already flooded markets... what I have really done is acquired a decent tool collection that I have mostly (but not quite) paid for with the work I've done. Maybe one day I can actually make it into a legitimate side business. BUT, I wish you the best in your journey and hope you succeed.

I am glad to hear about that scholarship. I plan to bookmark this and reference the supporting partners, and purchase their parts first for any future projects. I like giving business to companies that give back.

Sevens

5whiskey just saved me a lot of time and keystrokes, it's been a pleasure following many of your posts here at TFL for what actually seems like quite a while. Chasing a dream that so many of us have probably pondered. (I personally know my limits and that is for certain my most valuable skill... and I have long appreciated the ability that other's have that I know I do not)

Bottom line? It's been very enjoyable to read about your journey and projects and while I will never be ordering a custom rifle from you... boy, I look forward to the handgun stuff for sure! :D

I look at the names associated with the APG (sorry, I don't know if they ever abbreviate themselves this way) but you should be awfully proud when you share this with us, like we are to have you on these pages. It sure would be a kick to be able to say "oh yeah, I knew that guy way back before he was famous!" ;)

dakota.potts

Thank you everybody. I am hoping I have a job offer to announce in the next month or so which would allow me the opportunity to build custom firearms, but if not I hope to include the scholarship award on my resume for finding a custom gun company to work for when I graduate (this May). At which point, I will be happy to begin taking custom orders

I took a total tally of the 1911 parts they sent me... a bunch of Caspian small parts, a frame holding fixture, two magazines, a "trigger pull reduction" kit from Cylinder&Slide... and, long story short, the math tells me I am now obligated to build a 1911 with the parts :D

Thanks for the help over the years. I started the forum with a post on trigger reach problems with my then brand new CZ 75 and very little gun knowledge. Since then I have worked at a holster making company, worked in firearms retail, written articles and blog posts semi-professionally about firearms, and am now close to graduating school for gunsmithing. I have to think starting on this forum had a hand in all that.

Evan Thomas

Dakota, it's been a pleasure watching you grow as a "gun guy" and as a person since you joined TFL. I hope you'll be with us for a long time.

FrankenMauser

One of my current favorite quotes is a bastardization of Ghandi, but I think it is somewhat applicable here...

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

And, honestly, dakota.potts, you are not a change, but a constant I want to see in the world.
A future with another passionate gun-lover, that isn't just an AR-15 parts-swapper, getting into the 'smithing trade is never a bad thing.

When you're up and running, we'll have business (a.k.a. customization/modification) to discuss.

Hold fast.
Our future is questionable and rife with danger. But your future, if you stick with it, is bright.