Thank you TFL

redhawk41

I have been lurking at this site for several months now and have finally decided to join.

I wanted to start off by giving a great big giant THANK YOU! to the many TFL members who have contributed to expanding my knowledge of firearms. If you can't tell by my sig, the current crown jewel in my expanding collection is a Ruger Redhawk, 5.5" stainless in .41 magnum with Pachmayr Decelerator grips. My current load is 16.8 grains (min load, have not worked up yet) of AA#9 under a 215 grain cast SWC tidied up in Winchester brass and set off with a CCI 300 primer. I would most definitely not be having as much fun as I am with this combo without my favorite web firearm reference, The Firing Line.

Thanks again all and I look forward to giving back what I can!

BillCA

Welcome Redhawk! Welcome to the addiction to turning money into noise!

I hope you're enjoying your .41 Mag Ruger. The cartridge itself is sweet. Sounds like you're reloading for it too. Smart move. Keep in mind that most folks find that the .41's accuracy plummets quickly below about 900fps.

I used to roll my own SD loads with a 215gr LSWC running at 970fps (according to the manual) which were easy to control but with enough thump behind them to be satisfying. For hunting boar, pushing a 220gr jacketed SWC at (per the manual again) around 1200 fps would anchor a 130lb pig pretty well.

Here's my latest addition - a 1981 S&W Model 57 NIB w/presentation case that will come home in just 7 more days.

M57_0338.jpg

KSFreeman

Welcome to TFL! :)

*Here's a little warning to you kids--don't type and check your voice mail at the same time. :D

Last edited:

PKAY

BillCA - Where did you find that Model 57?! I've been looking for one like it for the past 3 years as a consignment or PPT. Lucky you, Bud!

redhawk41

BillCA,
it took a while to wipe the drool off my keyboard, i may have to get a new one :)
just before christmas i saw a model 57 on gunsamerica for $389. only problem was i had already commited $350 to another firearm, doh!

anyway, that one is definitely in the queue, hopefully one surfaces sooner than later. i was fortunate to find the redhawk when i did, i initially wanted blue, but am now glad i got the stainless. i will post a pick when i get some new batteries for the camera.

BillCA

It's odd about that .41 Mag...
It's at a local San Jose (CA) gun dealer close to my house that I don't often go to. Store is crowded with all sorts of guns, a lot of 'em used and consignments. Bad lighting in his display cases and stuff seems disorganized (to me, he seems to find stuff okay). And most of his handguns are collector grades with prices over $500 and sometimes into the thousands (like the Colt Gold Cup with serial number xx018 that was pristine).

I was checking his cases and found a nice little jewel in a Colt Police Positive Special .38. I'd always wanted one of those and a Colt Viper (aluminum version) -- Think Detecive special with a 4" bbl. So I bought it for $350 as it was sans box but looked like it hadn't had more than 50 rounds through it. On the way out, I tell him to keep an eye open for any S&W .41 Mags.

He pulls this out from under the counter. Had it for 5 years and forgotten it tucked away in a corner of the vault room. He'd just checked it the day before and hadn't put it out yet. 1981 model S&W M57, not pinned but recessed cylinder (transition model). Gun is NIB, probably unfired. NO cylinder ring. Has all the T's... TH, TT, RR, WO. All the papers, sealed cleaning kit and.... a presentation case!

For over 5 years I've mentioned the lack of .41's in his shop and he's hidden one all this time! (grumble) But I pick it up next week!

Now on my list is a Lew Horton stainless steel M657 .41 with the 2.5~3" barrel, K-frame round butt grips that were made circa 1986 or so. And a blued 6" M57.

I figure I can be happy if I have a snubbie .41 along with a 4" and 6" all at the same time. I could die happy if I had a Model 58 to go with 'em! :D

If I come across any others, I'll certainly give you a shout.

Samuel2001

Mr. BillCA,
Sweet piece there, Cant stop drooling.
If you don't mind my asking. How'd you git around the Ca "LIST"? Cause I also know of a shop that ended up with a couple of Colts in their inventory, that were recently re-discovered in the back of a safe. The guy that owns the shop is realy cool and gave me first crack at em, but we don't know what to do about the list thing.

Well thanks for giving us something to drool at!

BillCA

Samuel2001,

Hmmm... if they belong to the gunshop then I fear you may be out of luck. But that's what a shop owner pays an attorney for -- to advise him on the laws. Ask him to consult.

As far as how I "got around" the list, it's quite simple. The gun is listed as a consignment gun. As far as my understanding goes, a consignment gun is essentially a private party transfer. In this case, the seller pays a fee or percentage to the dealer plus any dealer costs for storage/records.

California has a "one-handgun-a-month" law, but as I've been told by several dealers, private-party transfers (PPTs) don't count. Nor do consignments.

Non-listed guns purchased by dealers when someone wants some fast cash will end up being sold to out of state dealers. If you know someone who wants to sell, encourage them to do it via consignment or advertise on the 'net. It may take longer but the gun can stay in CA.

Regards,

Samuel2001

BillCA,
Thanks for the fast reply! I was kinda figuring you were going to say consignment! Unfortunately these colts belong to the shop and are not listed in the DOJ list. :( However My Grandpa in KC Mo. migh buy them for himself ;) and let me borrow them some time! :rolleyes:
We are working out the bugs to ship them there! Just waiting for the Mo. FFL to arrive and then they git shipped out.
Just can't wait till I go to Mo. in the summer to see em again.

I guess I can have them if he gives them to me, Right? Under the grandfather clause! Lets se, he was going to will them to my dad but he is no longer arround, so I guess I get them! Now hows that?

Thanx a bunch.

PKAY

If a CA FFL directly purchases an "unlisted" handgun, with the exception of those that are exempt (Single Action revos, C&R revos or pistols, Single Shot handguns, or Olympic Target handguns) and wants to resell it in CA, let's say as a part of his "personal" collection, he must have evidence of having held and owned the arm in his possession for at least one (1) year prior to sale. The legislation was crafted in this way to discourage CA FFLs from "exploiting a 'loop hole'".

If your grandpa from out of state wills you unlisted handguns, with the exceptions noted above, you may only possess them imported into CA for a period of sixty (60) days during which time you are to either store or sell them out of state. If you do not store or sell them out of state within the designated time period, you must hand them over to the nearest local law enforcement agency for destruction. Failing to do any of the above makes you a felon in the eyes of CA law and subjects you to prosecution, fine, confiscation of ALL firearms you own (both legal and illegal), possible imprisonment and prohibition from ever owning a firearm again (UNLESS YOU MOVE TO A FREE STATE).

This is fascism by obfuscation and red tape, the modern left wing method of making almost everything illegal and bringing government and law enforcement down on your head when you commit a "state transgression".