Texas CHL ?

Incursion

If the DPS shoots your application back for address information and SSN, does the process start all over once I send it back? Do I have to wait another 60 days, or do I have to wait 180?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Probably the shorter time----

---Assuming you've furnished ALL the proper information required.

As an instructor from the first, I've been very impressed with the courtesy and helpful attitude of ALL the DPS personnel involved in the CHL program. They'll go well out of their way to help students, applicants, licensees and instructors.

BUT THEY HAVE NO PATIENCE AT ALL with incomplete or incorrect linformation. There is no such thing as them picking up the phone and asking you for information which SHOULD be in a certain blank. They just bounce it back to you. ;)

Best of luck - - -
Johnny

tawakoni

There is no rhyme or reason to the "waiting time" for a TX CHL. However long it takes is how long it will be. Two of my CHL students from the same class had their applications kicked back by DPS about 3 weeks after they were submitted. One was returned because the applicant used a PO Box as a residence address. She received her CHL about 50 days after she submitted her application the first time.

The other one was kicked back to clarify a 3 week gap in the applicant's employment history (he was a full time college student during that period and between jobs). He had to wait more than 90 days (from the first mailing) for his CHL.

Texas is a "shall issue" state and DPS has 90 days to get it done or notify you. Another student received a certified letter from DPS on the 86th day telling him they (DPS) needed more time to complete his background check. He received his CHL on the 90th day.

Best,

tawakoni

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Agree with tawakoni - -

It takes as long as it takes.

BUT--The TDPS CHL Section people are NOT like some bureaucrats who delight in tooling people around. I talked with the Crime Records boss there a while back and he said they went out of their way to assign clerks who have a good record of attaboys and good letters from outside. At the same time, they are STRICTLY instructed not to let anything through that is not properly done. They know they are under scrutinty by the anti-gun types, who will jump on any irregularity in the issue process.

The whole program of strict precautions combined with extreme courtesy really seems to be paying off. I'm proud of the whole group.

Best,
Johnny

Wingshooter

Do I have to wait another 60 days, or do I have to wait 180?

Once they recieve the corrected paperwork your 60 days starts all over again. I messed up on my address section (should have used the other hand to count to 5). My total time ended up being almost 90 days.

So to answer your question- Yes, might as well go ahead and reset the old calendar.

tawakoni

Right on, Johnny. It's always a pleasure to deal with any member of the staff in the DPS Concealed Handgun Unit. I approached my first contact with them several years ago with some trepidation. You know, typical bureaucrats, huge run around, don't care attitude, don't know, yada yada. What a surprise I got. They could not have been more helpful and courteous. And they always return phone calls and answer emails.

The week I spent at DPS when I got my instructor certification was very enjoyable. I expected professionalism and courtesy and that was there in abundance. What I didn't expect was the KINDNESS I and everyone else received. These good folks are rightfully proud of the TX CHL program and it shows.

Best,

tawakoni

Drizzt

It CAN take another 60 days, but it probably won't. I have to admit as well, that I was duly impressed with the folks working in that department. They were very professional, and never had any problem letting me know the progress of my application when I asked. My paperwork got returned to me, and it took a total of 71 days from the day I first dropped off the paperwork at DPS, to the day I received my license. Of course, they are probably processing more applications now than they were at that time.

Incursion

Apparently, there's a gap in my address history. I knew I shouldn't have put my college residences since none of them have been permanent.

geegee

Those folks are outstanding ! I've had two instances where they (and a Texas DPS Trooper) went way beyond their normal duties to help correct a mistake. Very courteous and helpful.

I had a friend from California tell me (kind of smugly) that it was much more difficult to be able to carry a gun in California. I told him I knew it was. He asked "Well, why do you think that is?" I said that by and large, people elected to state government office in Texas are sensible enough to stay away from infringing on our freedoms." Well, some are anyway. ;) geegee