Texas CCW wait

Thumper

It took mine almost two months, but that was awhile back.

My friend just sent her packet today and wants to know when she'll have her permit. They told her 60 days.

Has anyone recieved their concealed handgun license in Tejas lately? How long did it take?

alamo

That's how long I waited almost 3 years ago and that's how long a friend of mine waited a year ago. Doesn't look like anything has changed.

brouhaha

It took min about 45 days

That was about 1 1/2 years ago. We were warned in class NOT to call the DPS and ask them about our liscenses. My instructor told us that they can and have flat out refused to give permits to people that bother them. Then you have to take the class all over again and wait some more. She should have it within 60 days or so.

spiderM9

I'm on day 65, and it was hand delivered to DPS in Austin :confused:. I'm like a kid checking the mail every night.

RT

Mine took about 75 days. I was told it would take 60; so I spent over 2 weeks checking the mail every day and wondering where it was.

Gopher

Dont remember for sure but I think they have 90 days to get it back to you. I do know when mine came back in 96 it took almost the full waiting period. It came with about 3 days to spare. I think the wait is part of the mind game. :D I will say this they were a little more promt returning it after I renewed it. How long is this one gonna be good for? My first one was for two years and my renewal was for four. I had heard the newer one's were gonna be for six years. Its a pain in the butt to have to retest and requalify but thats a good thing in the long run.

JimFox

Time

Mine was 56 days from dropping the forms in the mail to receipt - that was a year ago. I have heard that renewals are a bit faster - but not often by a whole lot.

DPS0348

Texas Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Division is bound to inform applicants concerning the status of their application on or before the 60th day from its reception by them in Austin. If you call or email before the 60 day period, they do not throw your application out. BUT ... if you DO call or email prior to the 60th day, they WILL pull your application out of the process and put it at the back of the line such that the 60-day process begins again. If you have not heard from them following the 60th day, though, you are certainly justified in calling or emailing requesting an explanation of the delay. When there IS a delay with no notification, it usually means that an individual application has become "hung" in the process for whatever reason ... not necessarily reflecting badly on the applicant but there having been SOMETHING in the background check which has impeded the process of the particular application. Yes, 60 days is a long time to wait and, yes, MOST of us who have received our CHL have waited approximately the entire time period, but they do process a large number of applications and they do run a fairly extensive background check on each applicant, which I appreciate very much.

The current licenses are for a duration of 4 years as are the renewals. There is no legislation at this point requesting a change in this length of licensure.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by DPS0348 on 03-02-2001 at 12:36 AM]

HankB

I heard from a credible source that even when the CHL is "good to go" at DPS, they put it in a pile for delayed mailing to MAKE you wait almost the full 60 days. (I guess initially a few people received theirs in less than 30 days, and someone decided to put a stop to that.)

I hand-delivered my application to DPS in Austin and received the CHL in the mail 56 days later.

It's legitimate to call if you haven't received yours in 60 days.

Within our family last year, CHLs took between 56 and 68 days, the longest spanning a couple of holidays.

You friend can use the wait to her advantage if she is not a regular shooter. Now might be a great time to do some serious work at the range, maybe get in a class or two, and use the time to practice carrying concealed at home. By the time the license comes, she can be fairly proficient as a shooter and also have figured out what parts of her wardrobe cater to carrying concealed and what parts doesn't. When the license does come, her practice might be such that no one will ever know. That is a real good idea since in Texas, being concealed is very important to the license.

Thumper

Thanks, spy...

And everyone...she saw this thread.

She wants to let Spy know that she regularly shoots IDPA and attended Defensive Handgunner 1 at Thunder Ranch.

She already has a permit in Ga. and is a seasoned carrier.

:)

iso1

75 days? That's all?

Here in Nevada, it took 120 days (the max allowed by law) before they approved my application......

elector

FWIW, when I submitted my application for Texas CHL renewal in mid-year 2000, DPS was--according to the Texas State Rifle Assocation--experiencing computer problems that caused processing delays in issuing new and renewed licenses. So my CHL arrived about three weeks after the statutory deadline.

Since then, I have not heard whether DPS is still having computer problems, or if it's not, whether it's caught up yet.

Then again, she could already be proficient as hell and have a fine wardrobe that caters to carrying concealed and no one in Texas knows. D'oh!

I talked with a couple CHL buddies. There is no good that will come from bothering DPS prior to the 60 day mark AFTER they received the packet and they keep track of the day it arrived, not when it was mailed. Their goal is to get thing back in the mail by the 60 day limit. With slow mail, that means it can easily run 65 days or so between when you sent it and when you got the CHL without any delays. While you can prompt them, they don't have to issue the CHL within 60 days. Various things may cause delays that are out of their hands, especially if they are trying to track information for a person who recently moved to Texas or who is applying for a Texas CHL and who lives out of state. Getting out of state information can be troublesome.

GSMD Fan

Hey all you Texans,

didn't know Texas had an out of state permit.

I will be moving back to Texas in a few months, anyone have a link they could put up that refrences the procedure/rules for applying for CCW license in Texas?

I could look it up myself, just lazy, besides you guys all ready know.

Thanks

Thumper

GSMD

Q: I spend a lot of time in Texas, but don't live here year round. Can I get a license?
A: A new revision to the law allows people who live in states that don't issue concealed handgun licenses to apply for Texas licenses. Additional fees may be charged to out-of-state applicants to cover the cost of conducting background checks in other states. If you live in a state that issues concealed handgun licenses, check to see if a reciprocity agreement is in place. Also, if you have a permanent residence in Texas and a Texas driver license or identification card, you may apply for a license even if you do not live here for the entire year. (You must have had the permanent residence for at least six months before applying.)

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

ckurts

Applied ca. July of 1999. Best of my recollection, it took more than the 60 days, but not much more; less than a week.