Texas Annual Public Hunting Permit

XLT

Anyone use public land with this permit as their primary hunting access?

I just recently moved to El Paso, and can't seem to find much availble in the area. Don't really want to have to go to NM, it's close but nonresident fees are quite a bit higher, and the system looks quite a bit more confusing than Texas.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions are welcome, informed thoughts and opinions even more so... :D

fisherman66

I am for the first time this year. I don't know what to expect, so I look forward to the responses too. I think we will be looking at Sam Houston for rifle/Whitetail.

Dearhunter61

Yes

I used it for a few years. I have taken deer from it before but it was only after a couple of creek bridges had been washed out where I went and took my four wheeler in to scout. Then after scounting and finding a good area I walked in on the first Sunday evening of the first weekend and got me a nice 8 point...but this is the only buck I ever took from a type II hunting area. A lot of hunters...scary proposition. The last time I hunted it I did not go until the weekend before Thanksgiving to make sure the crazies had all gone home. I saw deer but none were bucks...After that I gave up and hunting on National Forest land and experienced pretty much the same. I broke down this year and decided to get on a lease...I am glad I did too!

Good luck

Dearhunter61

fisherman66

Good Luck...keep your head down!

Also if you have not scouted out the area you really need to start ASAP! If you plan to have any success.

Dearhunter61

Anderson County

The above county is where I got my best buck on Type II. At the time it was over 23,000 acres. If it was not soooo crowded it would be a great place.

fisherman66

I'm going during weekdays before Thanksgiving to avoid the rush as you mentioned. I don't have an opportunity to scout, so I plan on pushing as deep as I can still hunting. I have 5 days, and if I hunt hard I figure my odds are fair. I'm really looking forward to getting off a stand and away from corn feeders. I'm also taking a good friend for his first hunt. Worse case scenario we have a respite from work and enjoy the outdoors (hopefully staying dry and warm) and eat well.

Greybeard

My experience with TX Public Land says lots of scouting required to get far enough away from the crazies (and sometimes still not then). Pretty slim odds unless in a unit/county that lets ya take does.

With bow season opening tomorrow, you can bet your britches those guys are gonna be trying to get first chance at the best that are out there.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've not done any research, but there is the Sierra Diablo WMA near Van Horn. Probably got mule deer hunts by drawing; dunno the cut-off dates for that. The WMAs are generally open to self-registered quail, though.

The game wardens are generally pretty helpful. TP&WD has an 800 number and a pretty good website.