Testing new camera so you folks have to suffer

jar

through my getting to know it period. Sorry but I figure I'll get more feedback here than at that other board.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Radicalcleric

Two observations. 1: When photographing reflective surfaces (like a highly polished knife blade) be aware of what is being mirrored in the surface. You either want nothing to show, or you want what you specifically want to show. But never just random objects or light appearing.

2: Remember the rules of composition. The center of the field is boring. Try to locate objects in the primary points of interest. These are the four spots just in the from the corners in a rectangular field. Divide the field into three equal parts on the horizontal and the vertical. This means two lines going each way. Where the lines cross are the points of interest. This is where the eye is naturally drawn when looking at the image. Always try to have something interesting in at least three of those four spots.

Also, you want enough information in the composition to be interesting, but you don't want it too "busy." Don't overload the composition with objects.

Of the examples posted, I think the one with the knife and coins is best. The lighting and exposure on all of the images looks good. Very nice work. Try using a wide-open aperture setting. The larger the aperture the shorter the depth of field. It makes for some intriguing photos when the nearest object is in focus and the ones in the back are just a little fuzzy even though they are just a few inches away. It's a means of identifying the most important subject in the composition, too.

Oh, one more thing. Try to avoid crowding the edges of the field. When the subject is very close to the edge it creates a lot of tension. Now, if that what you want, then fine. But these images sort of strike me as relaxed and sophisticated. Either leave a nice cushion of space at the edge or go ahead and let the object escape the confines of the composition a little. It's routine to cut the very top of the model's head off in fashion photography.

9mmepiphany

i also think the knife and coins were the best...i found the reflection of the plant, on the blade, a bit distracting...the diagonal is always more interesting then straight up and down...otherwise i liked the knife and stein.

in the side by side shot of the m-27 and m-28, it looks like the focus favored the m-28. if you were trying to show a comparison, a harder focus on the checkering of the m-27 show more contrast...not much detail on the plain m-28 topstrap anyway.

a very good display...much better than i've done in the past :)

dZ

looks like camera shake in pix 2 & 3

try getting closer with the lens set wider rather than zooming in
and slowing the shutter

i try and avoid the built in flash and instead set up
fill spot & key lighting with warmer lights

its also amazing what a fill card of foam core can do to bounce light

the more light, the faster the shutter,
fast shutters tend to produce sharper images

so what flavor of camera produced these pix?

dfaugh

Is that a digital camera? I doubt it(pictures way too good!), but if it is lemme know what kind...I wanna buy a good one

dZ

you might be surprised what a Nikon Coolpix 950 from 3 years ago, that sells for $350 on eBay can do:

Attachments

• roger.jpg
    roger.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 52

jar

dfaugh

It's an Olympus 460Zoom that was $199 at Wallgreen.

Thanks for the comments folks. That's what I need.

Sisco

I've been testing my new on over on the revolver fourm. Kodak DC3400, $165 on ebay.

Attachments

• sptarget.jpg
    sptarget.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 40