Testing magazines

Opinated

For the present moment, ammunition availability in most calibers is not a problem and prices have softened a bit but still are not cheap.
Testing can burn through a lot of ammo.
My idea is that one can start testing a magazine by fully loading the magazine and then just firing a couple of rounds from it. The next test would be with just two rounds in the magazine and see how that works. The premise is that if the magazine works OK in those two situations, it is likely to work OK at loadings in between.
Anyone ever tried this technique? Did this procedure prove to be a valid testing method?

wogpotter

Its the first part.
You don't have any idea about how the magazine will function at the other end of the scale though. Most mags that will feed at the beginning will feed in the middle. How will they feed on the last 2 rounds is important too.
Personally I'd suggest from full to empty in 2 or 3 round rapid fire.

Sevens

I don't know how your testing might work, doesn't sound like a magic formula but also doesn't sound like a horrible idea.

However...
I simply test my carry gun and my magazines by regular shooting. 50-150 rds on each and every range trip, usually ends up being 2-3 trips per month.

We all are constrained by some manner of a budget with both time & money, but limiting your hands-on live fire with a handgun you place in the role of defensive carry seems like a bad idea to me. Not knowing that your carry gun (and magazines) will be ready to answer the call seems like a large hole. YMMV.

hartcreek

I start my testing of my mags by first testing how the spring and follower work with a dowel rod. Then I progress to live ammo or snap caps and just use my thumb.

I have had to pull many mags a part to clean out junk and clean up burs.