Test drove a Browning HP 40!

defjon

I have to say, I really liked this gun. This was my first experience with the .40 S&W round. I'd considered getting a G22 earlier and posted on here. I was always a little concerned, because I heard it was snappier and had more perceived recoil than a .45. On the 1911 platform, I really love the 45. I feel this is the best platform for the round, what a sweet shooter.

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as a lot of people say. It was pretty fun, like a 9mm with a little bit of attitude :). I loaded up a mag and paced off to a dozen yards sighed up the milk jug and let fly. I figured I would blast the milk just apart, as I would consider myself a pretty decent shot.

The milk jug didn't FLINCH.

Well, my face reddened and I looked at Scott, my Fiance's mother's beau and just shook my head. I attrrbuted it to my first time with that gun and caliber. I still figured I'd hit it once though! So while Scott loaded a new mag I walked over to the jug to check out if I even nicked it.

There was a full 10 holes in it (full mag capacity!). The FMJ we were using was just cutting through the jug like butter and not moving it! I guess those little suckers travel pretty dang fast. It was funny, and I felt a lot better about myself after that..(phew).

Shot another 300 rounds or so, only one FTF. A really nice gun that seemed to absorb the recoil great. The 40 took a little getting used to, it is a little jumpier than a 9 and more noticable than a 45. ( gotta get myself a 1911 when funds allow...prolly Springfield Mil-spec)

Anyway, it was a good time. I also shot a double barreled 410 derringer. Not so fun! Although not as bad as some other hand cannons I see at the range. The little milk jug had to be replaced though...

The wifey didn't so much enjoy the 40 though, so looking at getting her something in 9mm or maybe 380. She almost lost the piece on the second shot, my heart kinda jumped when it went sideways. She was in the national guard too, so she has gun experience.

Looks like I won't be getting that G22 anytime soon... ;)

Fill the jug with water next time. :D

I am looking into getting a BHP in 9mm. Glad to hear you enjoyed the .40 version. Was the BHP you shot all steel, or did it have an alloy frame. I prefer the extra weight. :)

payne

I second the recomendation to fill the jug with water next time. One shot through it will make it look like a bomb went off inside it. I like to blow at least one milk jug up a day.

The 40 is a great round. :)

IanS

The BHP .40 is a great gun. Too bad not many people get a chance to try one. I've owned Glocks and SIGs in .40 and the BHP .40 is probably my favorite .40. Although its a bit larger the Glock 35 is awesome too. But for a more compact gun it is very shootable.

By the way, as far as I know BHP's have always been all steel. Current BHP's have the stronger cast frames.

defjon

The one I shot was all steel, maybe that is why I didn't think the 40's recoil was anything to worry about! It felt great, really did. Great handling piece...I'll probably pick one up in the next few years when funds allow. Damn accurate too, I might add.

I was plinking at a tree that was idunno, probably a good fifty to seventy five yards away and just a couple inches thick :) The BHP had that inside of a couple rounds. Great gun, and nice replies!

StrikeEagle

Shot another 300 rounds or so, only one FTF.

Eek, friends... doesn't it bother you that it had a failure in only a bit over 300 rounds? With FMJ?

What do you attribute it to?

That would drive me up a wall from a BHP in 9mm... is the .40 less reliable somehow? I really like the BHP and it's my very favorite 9... but this disturbed me. Am I alone?

StrikeEagle