Tenth round in the Glock 30/30s magazines

Elerius

I'm going to finally be picking up a Glock 30s in the near future which I intend to carry. I've never owned a .45 Glock, only the 22 and 19. I'm aware of the difficulty in getting that tenth round into the magazine, and possible malfunctions as a result of the pressure.

I am very interested in this gun for carry because of the frankly incredible 10+1 capacity for its size. So, I want that tenth round, especially as I don't carry spare mags. My question, is it worth it to try breaking in the magazine to try to hold the last round? I worry about a potential problem to either weaken the magazine spring somehow so that it doesn't feed correctly, or if it doesn't weaken, running into reliability issues from the pressure on the slide. Which option, in your opinion, is safest? I'll bend and carry 9 rounds if this problem seems real.

Never heard of the problem. That last round is a beast to get in, and you have to be sure the mag locks in place. Other than that, I've never had any problem. I keep 10 rounds loaded all the time. I used to swap mags just for peace of mind, but I haven't even done that lately. I've had the glock 30 for some where over 4 years and it's held 10 in one of the two mags the entire time.

Bart Noir

OK, just to be sure we all know....

You will truly rupture a gut trying to put the 10th round into one of the 9-round magazines :D

But I can strongly recommend the UPLULA loader for stuffing double stack magazines. Just have a sturdy table or bench to press down on.

Bart Noir
Who uses the 9-rounder for concealment and a 13-rounder for reload. 23 rounds is enough for concealed carry.

Backroad

I've had a G30 for a couple of years now and have yet to get 10 rounds in any of the 3 factory mags I have for it - even with a Lulu reloader.

al

thedudeabides

Depends on the Glock and the mags. My 30 has a hell of a hard time fitting the last round into the mag. The second problem is slamming the gun against something to seat the mag so it doesn't fart out when you fire the chambered round.

Glocks have a habit of half-locking full mags that give you the impression that they're in.

Elerius

So, it isn't sounding good... I have a uplula loader, I'm sure I'll be able to actually get the 10th one in, just a matter of problems after the fact.

People always say that keeping a loaded mag will not weaken the spring, but if you can "break in" the mags by loading it up for 2 weeks, obviously the spring undergoes some bit of weakening.

Perhaps this is a better question: for those of you who cram the last round in, have you ever had a malfunction that appears spring related anytime afterwards?

barefoot

I've got a new 30 gen4 and I have no problems getting the 10th round in any of the mags. The last round is more difficult, but that's to be expected as the spring approaches it's limit. I've also never had any malfunctions in firing with a full mag or racking the initial round into the chamber from a full mag. When inserting a full magazine, you have to press hard, but the catch has always been very positive in my experience. (I don't slam a full mag in, I'll press it firmly/slowly until I hear the catch)
This goes the same for the G27 that I've had for years - no problem getting all 9 rounds into the magazine, though some folks download by one due to the difficulty of getting the last one in. There's either some fluctuation in spring strength in the Glock mags or just a different in comfort level of mashing the last one in.