Tennis elbow from recoil.

Groundhog

I have had a problem for about 20 years with tennis elbow in my right (strong) arm. It only manifests itself when I overdo things. I have been shooting regularly since last November and can put hundreds of rounds through my 9mm guns without issue. I have been to the range with friends that had .40's and .45's a couple of times and when I shot them, (the guns, not the friends :p ) I found myself with that old familiar pain the next day and for several days afterward.

Have any of you experienced this or know someone that has and have found a way to get past it? I'd love to shoot the heavier calibers but I will have to get past this first. Suggest away!

Texshooter

Have had some "elbow", but my main problem has been torn rotator cuffs.

.40s and .357s had to go to safe.

9s are fine, but my 24/7 .45 is so soft shooting, that it is now my primary and the "aches" have not come back.

CarbineCaleb

Well, it may just be me, but if I had tennis elbow for 20 years, I'd be a lot more worried about my arm than shooting heavy calibers.

The main thing you'd need to do is to rest it. After that you can look at physical therapy type treatments to improve flexibility, circulation and strengthen the muscles and tendons. Much better than something like cortisone injections. Be aware that this can become a degenerative condition (i.e., getting increasingly worse as a one-way process).

The basic acronym for early PT in these types of situations is RICE... but I'll just point you to these sites with some good info:
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=132
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec21/ch324/ch324g.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tennis-elbow/DS00469/DSECTION=1

BreacherUp!

One of our instructors had the same problem. He placed a velcro band around his forearm, just below his elbow, when he practiced/instructed. It helped him a lot.
You can buy this high-tech gizmo anywhere.

chris in va

I had some horrible tennis elbow a few years ago when learning to paddle a kayak. Clamping down on the paddle shaft plus doing repetitive motions just simply blew it out.

I rested it for a week per doctor's orders, then started building up my tricep muscle using a gallon water jug. A few days of that and my problem hasn't come back.

You should have seen the bruising though. My whole elbow looked like I smashed it through a window.

Nigelcorn

The suggestion about RICE is right on. Switch to a 22lr for a while for things to get sorted out. You should also start doing some exercises for your biceps, triceps, and rotator cuff (I'm sure you can google decent exercises). It would also be a good idea to stretch and strengthen your wrist flexors/extensors and your elbow pronators/supinators. Again, so as to not waste space here, it should be really easy to google decent stretches and exercises. I would also throw in some finger flexion/extension exercises. This type of injury is very common (though not so much with hand-gunners). It can be caused by a lot of things, but is typically related to overuse or imbalance in the sets of muscles listed above. Technically, you should see your doctor, but realistically conservative management is best anyway. If the RICE and stretching/strengthening don't work, then you really should go to your doctor. For what it's worth, I recently read a study that showed that chiropractic cervical adjustments coupled with standard PT treatment showed faster recovery of tennis elbow than just the traditional PT treatment.

good luck

ps-I forgot about the brace; those do help with the pain, but do nothing to treat the cause of your problem. If you need one for the short term-go for it; but make sure to do the exercises/stretches so you eventually won't need anything.

Last edited:

CarbineCaleb

You definitely do not want to just behave so as to keep this area chronically inflamed. Inflammation is part of the immune system response. Short term (acute) inflammation is actually very useful. Long term (chronic) inflammation is seriously detrimental, and depending on the duration and intensity can have quite dramatic effects.

The reason I am saying this is that you say you've had tennis elbow for 20 years. That's not good. I don't know the severity and frequency of your symptoms, but if it's at all in question, you'd probably be best off seeing a competent orthopedist for an assessment and then getting referred to a physical therapist who has a lot of knowledge of this particular type of rehab - a sports medicine outfit perhaps.

At the very least, read the links I gave above thoroughly if you want to try "do it yourself" assessment and treatments.

Best regards,
Caleb

Groundhog

Clarification

I didn't quite mean that I had been 'suffering' from it for 20 years! :p SO sorry I gave that impression, LOL. What I meant to say was that I had never had it prior to 20 years ago. It only occurs as a very occasional flair up if I do something that affects it. Lots of hammering, other kinds of hard use, and unfortunately, shooting a .45. Most of the time I don't suffer from it. I was just wondering how to get through it, past it, skip it, etc. Sounds like those exercises might do the trick.

Thanks,

Jeff22

shooting related injuries

I have experienced the same thing a few times over the years. About 3 years ago I suffered from it for a while after doing lots of one hand only shooting with a heavy High Standard target pistol (indoor bullseye competition). I rested the elbow and got one of those velcro band things and that seemed to help.

This spring I experienced the same thing, this time caused by shooting lots of .45.

I confined myself to shooting .22s for a couple of weeks, and my elbow recovered.

Twice in my life I have shot so much in a short period of time that I got tendon inflammation in my strong hand. Rest and limiting my range work to the .22s for a while fixed that too.

Getting old is hell . . .

seed

With all due respect to all, rest is NOT the thing to do. Yes, you do need to have periods of recovery and in severe cases of injury, rest (i.e. not exercising the joint/muscle(s)) may be the only option for a short or intermediate period of time, such as with a broken bone...but even then, there are modalities which will not only help you to recover more quickly, but also to a point where you are actually stronger in the region of the injury, barring such nasty usually age-related realities like auto-immune diseases such as arthritis.

That said, you need to know what you are doing and really focus on the exercises as you perform them. Additionally, it will help immensely if you get in good cardio shape and get lottttts of sleep. You will need to perform specialized exercises which target the injury and do lots of very clean reps with relatively light weight...which will increase over time. You also need to do what I call bulk exercises which are the common exercises you would do if you were healthy...just less of them at first and with lighter weights than before and after. Done wisely, this will help the injury heal and prepare you for a full work-out when you heal up (actually before you fully heal). Oh and very important: STRETCH and STRETCH. You may need someone to show you how to do special stretches...someone other than the recent high school grad/junior college student 24 Hour Fitness pays $10 an hour to pretend they know something.

Meals are important...Plenty of timely carbs and enough (no shakes necessary) protein. Fat is to be minimized.

All this said, you will run into no shortage of "experts" who will tell you that you need to sit on your a** or even get surgery, etc. 99% of the time, this is nonsense in the case of chronic nonspecific-event injuries. Yes, if you tear a miniscus or something along those severe lines and are highly athletic, surgery may be necessary. But usually no. And be careful with NSAIDS. Doctors tend to recommend them or prescribe them like they give out candy on Halloween. Stay away from them as much as possible. Ice is good, but this too is an art. Done improperly, at best nothing good will come of it...At worst, minor damage can be done (rare though). Done right, it can be one of your best friends. Ice is fantastic, done right. I'll explain later if you wish.

One last thing, in the case of the elbow, the common belief is that full range is to be avoided. Hell, that seems to be the consensus for all exercises these days. Short of calling BS on that (which I personally do), you need to make that decision yourself. If you do decide to go full range, know what you are doing. You will have to reduce the weight a little bit and may need a spotter at first. That aside, you should know that with elbow rehab, full range exercises done with an almost exaggerated light weight will help you heal like nothing else. Done with correct stretching, you will be amazed at how much better your elbow will feel. It will be like the fountain of youth! Your elbow will feel better than it has in many years...and it will be permanent.

All of this is stuff you need to be shown, rather than told. Once you get in tune with your body, provided you are relatively intelligent (which I'm sure you are) you will be able to figure out what works and doesn't...over time, with experience. Be patient though.

Good luck.

Reyn

You need to back off from doing whatever it is that irritates it. Tennis elbow will not get better by continuing to irritate it. Try some Glucosamine with chondroitin(sp?). Also wrapping the area and putting pressure on the area helps.

PeteQuad

You know, I might be getting this from shooting also. I have recently started shooting every week, and last wednesday I fired about 200 rounds of .44 special. Since then (I'm only making the connection now) my right elbow has been a little tender, and when I move it in certain ways there is a twinge.

Darn, I hope I'm not going to have to stop shooting. I love the .44 spl and magnum.

Jim Watson

I had a not too severe case a while back. Some of the recommended mild exercises directed at the area and one of those arm bands during shooting or other excertion let it heal.

Nigelcorn

Pete, it is actually pretty common to get something like this when you start shooting more often than you had in the past. You have to use muscles more than you have before, and that can sometimes cause problems. It isn't to say that you will have to stop shooting. We would all benefit from stretching and strengthening the flexors and extensors of the wrist. There is really no reason (barring some anatomic abnormality) that this problem would chronically affect anybody if they take the time to strengthen and balance the forearm muscles. Just google wrist flexors/extensors and supinators/pronators for some exercises. They are very simple to both stretch and exercise, but if you have any questions, your doctor can help.

I do have to agree that NSAIDS are not the answer. Neither is any time injection or surgery (except in rare, extreme circumstances). The outcomes for both aren't very good.

CarbineCaleb

It is not a simple matter of exercise is good or exercise is bad. If that's all there were to it, then there wouldn't be the prospects of atrophy waiting for a person from disuse and overuse injury resulting from excessive use.

If you are experiencing chronic pain, swelling, and loss of strength in an area that is already being subjected to stress, then it's just common sense to eliminate the stress for a time to allow this to recover. Swelling and inflammation responses, while both genetic adaptations developed to protect the body, can in fact be injurious, and egregiously so over time.

After swelling and inflammation have subsided, one can begin a designed program to strengthen the afflicted area and managed at a pace that is productive, rather than counterproductive.

Groundhog

So it sounds to me like the general consensus is that there are exercises that can help you NOT get it, and rest with therapy can help you RECOVER from it>

Unless I am missing something anyway. :)

Lots of good answers here, thanks guys!

Last edited:

FM12

Operating my reloading presses (any of them) causes me more trouble than anything. For a topical analgesic, try Theragesic cream...stinks, but may provide some relief, works for me anyway, both joint and muscle trouble.

seed

Groundhog, find a good sports therapist who is interested in getting you able. If they are good, and you do the homework they prescribe, you will be well on your way.

Groundhog

OK, here's one more silly(ish) question to add to this.

Do any of you think (or know) if I went to the range and fired a small number of higher caliber rounds and then increased that slowly over time, that I might be able to avoid the TE? Just curious if that has a chance of working in lieu of the exercises?