Tendenitis of the trigger finger

vito

I normally go to the range about once a month, more if I can find the time. When I go I usually shoot 100 to 200 rounds. Two weeks ago I went and fired about 75 rounds of 45acp from my Ruger P97 which has a nice trigger pull, but right after shooting I found that my trigger finger was "locking". Its been two weeks of taking it easy and things are not any better. My doctor told me to give it some time, it is likely tendinitis and there is not much beyond taking OTC pain meds that can help. I don't know how common this but I may be forced to try to train myself to shoot left handed if this persists. Getting older is no fun! Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

FoghornLeghorn

I suffer from tendonitis in my elbows. I had to pretty much give up weightlifting because of it. I can lift, but only infrequently and with much lighter weights.

I also suffer from it in my wrists. It was the darndest thing, but shooting my Sig stainless 220 was painful. My non-stainless 220 never bothered me. My 1911s never bothered me. But the 220ST was painful. I sold the gun.

There is no cure. One simply has to stop whatever activity that's inflaming the affected area.

You might ask your doctor for a prescription for Voltaren Gel. I use that periodically on my lower back.

wogpotter

A bit less drastic than shooting left handed, try this & see if it works for you & your rifle's layout.

Use the second finger as your trigger finger with the first (trigger) finger pointing along the right side of the stock. Lee-Enfield shooters have been doing this for years.:eek::cool:
DSCF6308.jpg

As you can see I'm using the "trigger" finger to work the bolt, but you can just keep it pointed & flip the bolt with the ball of the thumb & close it with the palm so you might not need to bend your trigger finger at all while still shooting right handed?

Kilroy08

A cortisone shot may do the trick.

I ended up having to go under the knife and get it worked on, now I have an inch and a half long scar under my left index finger. That was 18 years ago and not a problem since.

The funny thing is, it was kind of, sort of shooting related. I went gonzo one day with a cap gun and spend an entire afternoon burning up caps. Then my finger started acting goofy. As a 6 year old kid, I thought nothing of it, until I started playing violin 4 years later.

603Country

Kilroy is right. A few years ago I had a thumb that was locking up. Doctor explained that there was a small tendon that goes through a similarly small passageway in the knuckle and that my tendon was inflamed and had developed a knot (bump, whatever you want to call it) right where it passed through that tiny hole in the knuckle. The locking up is the knot being on the other side of the hole and resisting coming back through. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot and said that it might help, but doesn't always help. Thank goodness that it did help. The shot hurt like blazes, but my thumb gradually got better and today it's Ok.

bshefa

I am a physican and not sure of the legal ramifications of giving advice on an internet forum, so I won't. I will say however, the above post is correct. I stress I am not telling you what to do :rolleyes:, but if it were me I would ask my doctor for an orthopedics referral.

As a side note... Kind of a sad state of affairs when laws and lawyers have a physician afraid to give advice