Ten round drum, MSRP $185

jthuang

Just got the latest Shotgun News. I wish I had the ad in front of me, but there is an advertisement for a Sidewinder 10 round drum for the Mossberg pump guns. MSRP is $185 (ouch!).

I had not heard of this drum before, only the version that TacStar is supposedly introducing later this year. Anyone know any more info about this drum?

Justin

DML

Wow! Jeez! Cool! Just what I want on my shotgun. Something hanging under it that gets in the way and screws up its handling qualities. Hey! Let's toss on a sidesaddle, heat shield and maybe one of those slings that holds 15 shells. Let's not forget the wheels and skid plate so we can drag this thing arould. Gimme a break.....

DML

Ahhhhhhh.....perhaps I was a bit harsh in my last post. On second thought, hi-cap magazines and quick change magazines could have a practical use. I'm thinking of riot control and maybe for use in prisons.

I still don't think the average citizen or cop has any use for something like this except for the "gee whiz" factor.

Fatcat

Still, you must admit, the "Gee whiz" factor is pretty big.. and imagine the looks you'd get at the range. :)

No way I'm putting one on my 870, though.

magnum_force

Has any one purchased Knoxx Industries Shotgun magazines or drums? How about their folding stock or recoil reducing stock?

The stuff on Knoxx Industries' website is innovative but does it work and is it reliable?

Apeach

Your right, a civilian has no use for one of those. But that's why they're trying to market it to police. Although, that does fix my one beef with shotguns (their reloading time). And, it allows you to use box magazines on your favorite shotgun that you can get for less than $300, as opposed to the USAS12 or the SPAS15. And I don't even know if civilians can get those.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I've some small experience with both drum and hi cap mags for weapons other than shotguns. Some major drawbacks with either.

I doubt that anyone could do an effective low prone with that thing attached, and my guess is it'll add 8 lbs to the weight when full. Note that the weight is not published.

And while some extra weight on a "Serious" shotgun's a good thing, this drum is low enough to possibly set up a pendulum effect, causing control problems.

Are any of us GOOD with a 13-15 lb short range shoulder arm?

IronBalls

Cops are moving more and more to SG for entry. The 14" 590's and 870's are rolling out of custom shops for DEA and entry teams alike. Check out the Serbu.com page for their shorty SG- these things are awsome little pieces, but only hold 3 shells usually (major drawback)- and thats the primary target for the drum. It would be quite a compact and effective entry tool IMO

Badger Arms

Civilians have no "USE" for one?

I beg to differ. I don't think it says anywhere in the Constitution that we can only own guns if we have a "USE" for them. As far as utility (a word I think is more appropriate than use). I've told the board this a few times before but I used to work Animal Control where I had need to fire so many times in a row that it helped to have a second person there for firepower with the 870. There was one utility.

Another is somebody who doesn't WANT to carry around a handful of shotgun shells but also doesn't like the idea of running out. Home invasions, gang shootouts in your neighborhood, and riots come to mind.

While these are narrow instances, it should also be noted that the utility for Criminals of such a cumberson aparatus is very limited. Criminals want concealability and something that goes bang when you pull the trigger and isn't difficult to reload. Very few would have the desire, funding, or knowhow to modify their own guns (usually stolen) for only a marginal increase in utility.

oddguns

knoxx

I purchased 2 of their kits almost 2-1/2 years ago.
They are total pieces of junk. made my reliable shotgun useless and dangerous. also have been constantly lied to by Larry Graff regarding sending the drums and exchanging out the kits with the new versions that never seem to make it to production. Warning avoid this company.
Just add a tubular mag extension to keep your shotgun reliable.

oddguns

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I too ordered a kit from Knoxx at the 2002 SHOT Show. It never showed up. Every time I emailed them I would get some excuse and be asked to wait for a couple more weeks. After a year and a half I finally cancelled my order.