temperature sensitive powder

dntorbert

NOw we really dont have that much cold here in alabama but the other day I took out some cast bullet loads in 7.62x39 with heavy bullets at what c.e.harris had listed as near top loads with aa 1680 powder that had run like a champ back in the summer and they wouldn't cycle my sks...anyone else experince this

Tom Matiska

It isn't uncommon for a load to shoot 75-100 fps slower in cold weather. Any chance this is a lubrication problem? Greases or oils with to much parafin can get sluggish on a cold morning.

Tom

john kilgore

I live in E.Ga, but grew up in E.AL. I does get cold !! 20degrees w/70% humidity and 20mph wind is plenty cold.
It is probably a combination of things.... I too have an SKS and shoot that load. I actually prefer either 2400 or IMR (H)4227. They work the action a little more briskly too. For best cold weather function, be sure to clean well and remove all remnants of bullet lube from action after shooting. This may have "gummed" up the works a little too. I've been meaning to try some H4895 with the 155's, but have put it off because the IMR3031 I tried really threw the brass into right field !!! These two powders may be the solution youre looking for.