Telling employer you're carrying?

Shorts

My husband and I were at the store last night fitting carry holsters for me (I found a good comfy one) :D I mentioned carrying at work (at an auto dealership, late nights, big lots, lots of demos with strangers), and he said as a courtesy I should let my boss know that I would be carrying. I thought it was none of their business (although my coworkers and boss do know I posses a CCW and that I do have my carry pieces ready to go).

So my question, should a person inform their boss of their option to carry?

Avizpls

Try to dig up any company olicy on it before hand. If it is said to be ok, tell them. If not, Dont ask dont tell.

garrettwc

Since your boss already knows, I would have a private conversation with him about it. Review company policy on it and get his input.

I would not recommend "don't ask, don't tell". In the event something happened, your dealerships insurance carrier and their lawyers would hang you out to dry.

mete

If you tell your boss it might be much better if you can show him you've had proper training and of course you shouldn't be carrying unless you've had training.

FirstFreedom

I'd say, in most circumstances - hell no. Don't ask, don't tell is good. If you tell, then he may be obligated to take steps disarming or firing you that he (a) doesn't WANT to take, and (b) wouldn't have to take if he didn't know for sure. All this assumes that carrying is in fact against company policy, or if company policy is silent on the matter.

If, OTOH, it's specifically acceptable within company policy, then I'd say yes, do disclose.

So, the answer is, it depends. :)

70-101

So my question, should a person inform their boss of their option to carry

Unless its clearly stated in your company handbook employees are allowed to carry firearms on company property. You should recieve written permission before carry firearms on the job. Mainly,because, IF you ever have to use your firearm at work you will need your employer on your side to prevent possible serious legal hardships.

Ignition

my boss takes me out to the range sometimes. heck we even have convo's about guns and misc stuff related to. granted i work for a locksmith and its not quite a huge conglormorate with harsh views on everything

AK103K

In the event something happened, your dealerships insurance carrier and their lawyers would hang you out to dry.
I think they would do that anyways. Their responsibility it to your employer, not you and I would think they would do their best to distance themselves from you. I would think you would need your own lawyer and I'm sure your homeowners or what ever else they could go after would take a hit. Most large companies(and small ones too, for that matter) employees manuals have the "no weapons" clause in them anyway, just for CYA. I would agree with the dont ask(or even if they do) and dont tell. If you do your part, they will never know, and if you really need it, it wont matter.

XavierBreath

I would not tell, unless the companies policy specifically REQUIRES me to carry a firearm. When it comes down to saving your life or dying, it's no more their business than what color underwear you wear. You are not going to use the weapon for anything other than saving your life, and you have every right to do that. Revealing this tidbit of information could lead to your dismissal.

Shorts

Actually, I mentioned it in the initial interview and my boss just chuckled :D the folk around here are all prior Navy/military (including boss who is a retired Capt.), and they're fairly conservative in their views. But I also get treated like the young daughter with plenty of dad's running around. So I can see how they'd "say no". I'm still looking for my emplyee handbook to see if anything is referenced in there.

As for my dealership's insurance and lawyer trying to hang me out to dry, it seems that would only be the case if I were to go postal and be stupid with my carry. If the stuff ever did hit the fan, for serious and legitimate reasons (...ie, I get attacked in the back parking lot after closing up after dark), my having a firearm actually doesn't seem so bad afterall.

joab

So my question, should a person inform their boss of their option to carry
Only if you need to give him reciepts for him to reimburse you for the expenses
A justified shoot is a justified shoot with or without his consent or notification

Indy_SIG

A justified shoot is a justified shoot with or without his consent or notification

This suggests a poor understanding of the ways of the world.

I'd read 70-101's post in this thread. Not only should your employer know, you need an acknowledgment from them that they know and approve BEFORE the unlikely day comes when you have to use your weapon.

Without it, you're a lawyer's dream just waiting to happen.

joab

Not only should your employer know, you need an acknowledgment from them that they know and approve BEFORE the unlikely day comes when you have to use your weapon.
And that shows a poor understanding of the CCW laws as they stand today

I do not need my employers permission to exercise my 2A rights unfortunatly I do need the states.

And as far as being a lawyers dream. I would prefer that to being the undertakers customer or, as is the case so many times, the rape counselers case

70-101

Shorts

I don't know if your familar with Packing.org or not. click here But,in case your not this site offers a ton of very valuable information pretaining to every states law's to help and guide those of us who legally carry concealed handguns. I wish you good luck and hope you never have to fire in anger or in self-defense.. :)

covert

At work CCW

I would first review company policy, if any even exists. Inform your employer, in private and in writing, being sure to document proper training, legal requirements, etc. If they deny permission, find another job. Your description of employment conditions sounds dangerous, a perfect oppertunity for a car-jacker or other criminal. Covert.

Ohio Annie

No carry at work

If your employer forbids weapons on the premises, be aware that they probably have the right to search your car or fire you if you refuse since you are on their property. I worry about this a little bit. I work for a huge company with a no weapons policy and there are some people I worry about who get angry over the littlest thing and hold permanent grudges. Seems like a recipe for disaster. We have security people but they are limited to pepper spray or mace. I see they have big cans of it on their belts. :)

I will not bring a weapon to work because I like my job but my Mom knows to sue if something happens to me because of this policy since I am her sole caretaker. :eek:

obiwan1

Two words.......... Smart Carry. See what kind of legal trouble that you can get an employer in if he (she) wants to frisk your groin........ can we spell "sexual harassment"? :D

Shorts

I just went through my handbook and absolutely nothing is stated regarding weapons or firearms. There was plenty on drugs and alcohol though :D I'll metion CC today to my boss.

joab

Don't ask don't tell

Concealed means Concealed

Don't start, won't be none

It's easier to get forgivness than it is to get permission

And basically every other cliche that I can think of that amounts to It's none of their business .

What if he says no?
Are you prepared to get another job?
If not then carying is not that important to you, so why bother bringing it up?

MeekAndMild

my coworkers and boss do know I posses a CCW and that I do have my carry pieces ready to
Joab is right IMHO. There are some things that it is best to not mention in polite company and this is one of them. If I were you I would consider this to holster to be a "good comfy" foundation garment and not discuss it any more.