Tell me something Please

DBOUNCE1

Once again i have unsuccessfully tried using the search, but i'm curious.

can some(without being an ass, and talking to me like i'm stupid) tell me what a 1911 is just curious

any help is greatly appreciated

rha600

do all 1911's look the same???

those links steel put up should answer that.

I'd say they are all basically the same. but the sizes differ. but no you're not going to see a 1911 that looks like a neos.

dallasconundrum

Well, it's not really my field so I'll readily stand corrected (usually you'll find me in the revolver forum) but I'll try to throw some more stuff out there for you. John Browning (yup THAT Browning) came up with the design originally for Colt in 1911 (or at least that's when it first came out). The Colt 1911 saw use as a military side arm for years (don't know what years or how long but someone can probably fill you in on that). Now many different firearms companies make a version of the 1911: Colt, S&W, Kimber, Springfield, Para Ordinance, and Taurus is/has developed one and there are several others. All of these share a common design and at least closely resemble one another. The original design and most all of the later "copies" are single action only, although Para Ordinance I know had a double action only version. One of their more appealing features to many over the years has been their ability to be carried "cocked and locked" with the hammer cocked and the safety on, allowing you to quickly flip the safety off and give a light, short trigger pull.

OneInTheChamber

They are like cars: come in different shapes (slightly, like different mag wells, and competition set ups), different colors, different calibers (I've seen them in .38 super, 9mm, .40, and .45).

DBOUNCE, why don't you go to the a range that rents them and find out how you like them? You'll also learn a lot about them just by handling them.

poppy

FWIW, when someone refers to a 1911 today, they are normally talking about the model 1911A1. A true model 1911 was produced before about 1927, when modifications/improvements were made to the original design.

So a WWI 1911 would be a model 1911, and a typical WWII 1911 would be a model 1911Al. Most of the clones made today are based on the 1911A1. poppy

Dwight55

Chaingunner, . . . I really don't understand where you are going with your last post, . . . whether it is a 1911 or a 1911a1, . . . it is one of the safest firearms on the market. I don't have one, . . . but I am sure that there are quite a number of those old war horses still out there shooting that are 90 years old+ .

With the hammer cocked and the thumb safety on, . . . it takes three separate and individual events to occur to shoot the thing, . . . and very few other handguns have those overlapping safeties.

Go to any gunstore in your area (if there are still any in Southern Cal), . . . and they can give you a showing of what is legal for you to own.

May God bless,
Dwight

rapier144

Chaingunner

In the magazine Custom Combat handguns #46 is an article about a gunsmith who makes 1911. His name is Terry Tussey and he's in nevada. His web site is www.tusseycustom.com. i haven't finished reading the whole article or been to his web site yet. So thats all i can tell you.

Don P

:cool: The 1911 was first made by Browning around 1905 and the military decided to use it as a side arm in the year of 1911 !!! Hence the name/ number designation as we know it today. Other than metaloligy changing a bit the pistol is unchanged in 102 years. :cool:

Dwight55

From what I have always been told, . . . it is totally true.

From personal experience: in Nam I bought a grease gun, . . . old WW2 style with an external cocking lever, . . . back of the bolt said it was made by the American Can Company, 10-44.

Gunny and I figured it was made in October of 1944, . . . before I was even born. Shot real good though.

May God bless,
Dwight

TheGunShack

If memory serves me right, during WWII, the 1911's were made by several different company's including: Remington, Colt, Ithaca, Union Switch and Signal Company, Singer, the Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal.

poppy

22-Mag
Other than metaloligy changing a bit the pistol is unchanged in 102 years.
Not true. Again, there were modifications made around 1927 and the model was changed to 1911A1. poppy

invention_45

Hehehh. Don't feel bad. When I went to the gun shop to buy my USP45, I saw all these 1911's and I had to ask the same question face-to-face.

rapier144

In 1925 the 1911 was redesignated the 1911A1. The main differance that you notice between the two are the scallops cuts in the frame at the rear edge of the trigger guard. Plus it has a shorter trigger than the 1911. The grip safety was redesigned to stop hammer bite. The sites were changed made bigger.And the back strap was changed also to a curved model to help with the gun shooting low.