Tell me more about CZ?

2ndamd

I have always been a fan of how accurate the CZ75 can shoot.
The DA trigger pull kept me from buying them. But, I went into the local gun store and tried a CZ P07. WOW! That new Omega (?) trigger seems to have come through very well. The SA trigger still feels crisp but, not like the steel models.

Do you CZ fans have any experience with the P07?
It looks to be almost exactly the same dimensions as the P01 but with a polymer frame. Now, if I get the P07 for ccw then, you know I'm going to have to get the P01 as well :)

What is the knock on CZ's designs?
I have heard they may not be as durable as some other makers when it comes to high round counts. Any validity?

If I get the P07 and the P01? I have to have a CZ 75 :)
Here's one question I have:
So, if I have a CZ 75 B. I insert a full magazine and rack the slide. The hammer is cocked. But, the model I have is not a decocker model but, it's still called a da/sa model by CZ. Is the CZ 75 da/sa without a decocker like a revolver? Meaning I can safely lower the hammer (while releasing the trigger) and the hammer is blocked from hitting the firing pin until the trigger is pulled all the way to rear again?
I have shot this model but, I was shooting and not carrying.
I know I can carry it cocked and locked but, can I safely carry it with a round chambered and hammer down?

Thanks to all the CZ experts here. I think I might really like this P07. It felt great in the hand. I will be using it for ccw. Then, I will have to get a CZ 75 for fun at the range. I can see another gun disease coming on...I feel faint :)

jdncsu

off the top of my head... I am pretty sure CZs are some of the MORE durable pistols out there. Some tests using the P01 have very high round counts.

Be aware that the P07 does not take the traditional CZ75 magazine.

I have the P01 and love it. flawless through ~2000 rounds.

Cliff47

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Do you CZ fans have any experience with the P07? I've fondled one at a gun show, felt good, but not like the full size 75B(personal preference, you know).

What is the knock on CZ's designs?
The word is getting out about the CZ, slowly, but it is getting out. The design is a modern high-capacity 9mm(or 40 S&W if you prefer), that is built like a tank, will outlive the original purchaser, and deliver accuracy that is so good it's almost scary. Ther have been some parts failures, but those are few and far between(mostly competitive shooters with HIGH counts). Springs seem to be one point for replacement.

Be warned, CZs tend to breed in the bottom of your range bag. I can speak from personal experience that they tend to follow me home from gun shows, too.

Is the CZ75 like a revolver? The CZ can be carried with a live round in the chamber, hammer down(this gets you the looong DA trigger pull). There is no transfer bar to block the hammer from the firing pin(as in some revolver designs), but the decocker versions(CZ75BD is one) leave the hammer on the half-cock notch. I feel safer carrying my CZ75B like the 1911, all I have to do is swipe off the manual safety and I am in business.

Hope this helps.

Tophe

I also have a P01 and I love it. I have read that they are also MORE durable, and have had lots of testing.

You are making me want to go checkout the P07! I also am wanting to get a 75B, but I may get the BD because then the functions are the same as my P01.

I thought the P07 was larger than the P01 though? but I havent held one yet.

These guns are amazing. I ran into a guy at the range with a 75 and held it and like it alot. I am considering getting one so that I can keep my round count down a little bit on the P01 which is my ccw right now.

Glad to see you have drank the GOOD Kool-aid.

kiov

I have a CZ85 combat model. Its just like the 75, but with ajd sights, ambi controls and drop free mags. It has never failed in any way after many many rounds. I put the first 500 thru without cleaning it.

The only drawback is a poor trigger. You could get that worked on, or buy a model with a better one.

mark_will

Just bought the 07 Duty.. and really like the firearm a lot.

Have put about 200 rounds through it from a variety of types and weights of ammo.. not a single misfire or jam! Also, at 30 feet.. running groups of about an inch.. not bad right out of the box (with the trigger issue I ref. below). I also own an XDm 9 and the 07 rivals if not exceeds it for accuracy.

That’s the good news..

Bad news is that I am also experiencing a case of mag sticking... which I could live with.. however, the trigger is also sticky, or grainy if you will.. DA is real bad.. SA is fair, but not acceptable. I was hoping that after a couple hundred pull it might smooth out.. no such luck.. I ask my guunsmith to shoot it last night.. not mentioning the trigger at all.. seeing if it was my imagination... nope, first pull, he put it down and said send it back.. another shooting partner.. same thing.

So I called CZ.. great response and service.. got a RA and am in process of sending it back to get the trigger and Mag issue worked out..

For the price a good firearm.. feels great in the hand, and perfect size for CCW which is why i bought it...

I would highly rec.. but before you take it home.. check out the mag drop and trigger pull..

matolman1

Own 2 P01's and love them both. Had a trigger job done by CZ Customs and the trigger is now great, smooth and light.

schmeky

It seems the majority of mass produced firearms have less than optimal triggers, the CZ is no exception. On the plus side, a CZ trigger is pretty easy to improve. In fact, a few of my CZ's have SA triggers that rival the best 1911's. It is not uncommon to get CZ DA pulls in the 6-7 pound range.

As an added bonus, when the trigger "sweeten's" up, the group sizes typically get even smaller. Whoa!!

greghalliday

How many times do I love my CZ? A million. It is the softest shooting of all my, albeit limited, supply of guns. It also has the best trigger (although I have been really surprised by the pull of my new RIA 1911.)

Get one. It doesn't matter which, apparently you'll end up with them all eventually anyway.

Greg

tekarra

I have owned and shot cZs for over twenty years. To me they are one of the finest, if not the finest, pistol. Many thousands of rounds later, I have never had a real problem.

Walt Sherrill

I was a moderator on the CZ-Forum for years. (You might want to visit there for a while to get the latest word on the guns. There is a new trigger mechanism design that I'm unfamiliar with, for example.)

While there I read thousands and thousands of messages from owners and members. I have had a number of CZs myself -- still have an 85 Combat and 75B SA (Single Action), and a couple of CZ clones (including a Sphinx.)

What's wrong with them?

Nothing really, but there are three design features you should understand:

1) an extractor design that allows gunk to build up under the extractor -- easily cleaned, once you're aware of it. If the gunk builds up, it can cause crappy extraction ('cause the extractor won't close tightly on the rim).

2) A really long double-action trigger pull. Not an issue if you're comfortable with cocked-and-locked, or use a decocker model. (The decocker models decock to and start from the half-cock notch.) The DA pull can't be shortened, and is a fundamental feature of the gun. People with small hands or short fingers find the DA pull challenging. The SA models don't have this problem, and with a little tweaking can have a trigger almost as crisp as a tuned 1911.

3) Early 75Bs had a roll pin retaining the firing pin rather than a firing pin stop, and that pin could break with a lot of dry firing. They've since upgraded the firing pin retention roll pins (doubled them) and that design quirk is apparently no longer a potential problem.

The firing pin block design (the "B" in the 75B nomenclature) probbly isn't the best design, and complicates trigger jobs a little. But gunsmiths can make the triggers good -- and just firing them a lot will smooth them up. (400-500 rounds, maybe. Dry firing with a snap cap will help, too.)

For a period, about three years ago, CZ had a run of bad trigger springs and bad extractor springs -- easily replaced. That seems to be history.

The standard finish -- called polycoat -- isn't as pretty as a blued finish but very durable. Some models are available in a nickel finish; there are also models available in three different "gloss" levels of stainless steel, along with duo-tone models with a matte slide and nickel-plated frame.

CZ also makes an IPSC line of guns that are quite a bit more expensive, but comparable in performance to guns 2-3 times their price.

Good, solid guns that are about as reliable as a Glock or Ruger or Sig. Point aboust as naturally as anything on the market. Ergonomics are superior.

You could do a lot worse -- particularly if you find a used one at a good price.

---------------
I'm unfamiliar with the newer polymer-framed guns.

2ndamd

Thanks for all the responses.
Very informative.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me understand.
I'd say you guys went above and beyond. Thank you!

I checked again and the P07 has almost exactly the same dimensions as the P01.

I understand the decoking to a half cock but, is it safe to carry one in the chamber on, say a 75B. CZ calls them da/sa. But, you chamber a round, the hammer is cocked. You squeeze the trigger, releasing the hammer (which you have caught with your thumb or other hand). You release the trigger and lower the hammer. Where does the hammer sit? Is their a firing pin block. Nothing like a tranfer bar safety but, something? Or...if i drop the gun on its hammer, there is nothing blocking the hammer from striking the firing pin?

One last question. Are parts easy to come by? I live in KCMO and CZ-USA is on the other side of the river from me.

Once again. Thank you. I really like this design.

I will examine the P07 before I buy it. Looking for a sticky mag or trigger. thanks for the heads-up. :)

dairycreek

One last question. Are parts easy to come by? I live in KCMO and CZ-USA is on the other side of the river from me.

Yes parts are easily available and the gunsmith at CZ-USA, Mike Eagleshield, is really knowledgeable and helpful if you have a problem. Since you are just "across the street" as it were you should find yourself in good shape.

I suggest that you take a look at the CZFORUM is it is a wealth of knowledge about the CZ and, currently, there is a lot going on there about the P-07. You will enjoy it a lot if you do purchase it.

Boarhunter

2ndamd,

I have both a CZ75B and a CZ P-07, and I like them very, very much. The 75was my carry gun for a good while, and I used it in local IDPA matches. I have run thousands of rounds through it without the first problem. Though I still have and shoot the 75, the P-07 replaced it as my primary carry gun simply because it shot just as well, but was significantly lighter. And for a compact gun, it does not fail to perform well in local matches. After many hundreds of rounds, it seems to be just as reliable as other CZ products.

The P-07 double-action is not particularly impressive, but since I carry cocked-and-locked, that is not a concern of mine (I personally do not care for any DA/SA pistol.). The single-action pull is just fine.

I cannot conceived of your being disappointed with either the 75 or the P-07 (or any other CZ product), again, particularly if your preference is a manual safety over a decocker.

Boarhunter

fxdrider

2ndamt sez:
Where does the hammer sit? Is their a firing pin block. Nothing like a transfer bar safety but, something? Or...if i drop the gun on its hammer, there is nothing blocking the hammer from striking the firing pin?

The hammer, when at rest (with a live round in the chamber) sits on the firing pin stop and the rear tip of the firing pin. The firing pin is of the inertia type, like the 1911. That is - it is shorter than the distance between the firing pin stop and the breechface, and relies on the energy of the hammer striking it to drive it far enough forward to strike the primer. When at rest, it is not long enough to touch the primer. As such - it would be extremely difficult to ignite a live round by dropping the gun on its hammer. Some of the CZ models do come with a firing pin block anyway - presumably to prevent discharge from firing pin inertia should the gun be dropped square on its muzzle.

For USPSA Production division, the starting position for a DA/SA gun is hammer all the way down on a live round, whether or not the gun comes equipped with a firing pin block. The gun is designed to be carried this way. Carry it that way confidently.

Lunker

Does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about CZs in 45ACP? I don't care for 40, and I have two 9mm pistols already. I have enjoyed shooting various 9mm CZs, but I have never tried one in 45.

Cliff47

I have a CZ97B in my collection, smooth trigger, but the pistol itself is heavy. Ten rounds of 45 ACP will definitely drag the trousers down. As with all CZ pistols, scary accurate.