Tell Me About Your SW 625 in 45 ACP? Buy or Pass?

jtduncan

Just love my Smith and Wesson 610 in 10mm with the large N-frame. I really absorbs that recoil and stabilizes the shots for some great accuracy.

And the moon clips are really fats for reloads. And the trigger is unmatchable.

Just got a nice cash windfall before GW's $600 gift to us married guys and have the funds to snag a NIB SW 625 with a 5" barrel for about $519 plus tax.

Is that a good deal and does anybody know what dealer cost is?

How much are 625s going for used?

Any models to avoid in the 625 line? I want stainless steel for durability and looks to match my 610.

Should I snag it or wait around for a nicely used 625 with some accessories and some wear on the trigger action and a pocket a nice $125 in savings?

I already shoot 45 ACP in several different guns so I already own all of the reloading equipment.

And with the powders most of use for 45 ACP, most if not all of the powder can be burned up in almost 3 inches. You may get some additional fps out of the 4 and 5 inch barrels. But most reloaders use fast powders like W231, Bullseye and TiteGroup.

I think the ideal length for the SW 625 barrel is 4 inches. Short enough for CCW and IPSC competitions and light enough engage quickly. And it may be better balanced.

What is the deal with the 625 and the shorter barrels? Are they just as accuracte as the longer 5 inch barrels? Recoil more or less?

Your impressions and comments please.

For those of you have or have shot the different 625 length barrels or other N frames, is the four inch barrel ideal for 45 ACP?

I don't have an IPSC revolver and understand they just went to a 4 inch max. The gunsmiths are chopping barrels left and right. I may shoot IPSC when my schedule permits. I alos shoot steel plates and bowling pins.

But I think a 45 ACP reolver is a nice buy for someone who already shoots 45 ACP. Just more time behind that double action trigger pull.

Buy the 625?

Your 2 cents . . .

lonegunman

625 is my favorite revolver, even above Python.

Personally, I like the 5 inch barrels because 230g ammo gets the most out of a 5 inch.

A short barrelled 625 isnt going to make a good CCW, the cylinder is pretty thick, and the gun is very beefy.

Another nice thing about it is you can shoot 45 auto rim through it and not have to use moon clips at all if you dont want to.

Its a wonderful gun... $515 isnt a bad price either.

Other possibilities

I've got a 625 and I like it.

Lew Horton, incidentally, is having several dozen very small batches of older smiths made again. Several will be in 45 ACP. Today they have about 150 or so NEW 1917's. Might want to look at their web site. These are a LOT more money, of course, but they would, I think, be a good investment. Assuming you took care of it you should be able to shoot it and still have something that might gain in value.

I've bought one of these so-called Heritage revolvers in 45 Colt. I only wish that I had the money to buy one each. There will be AT LEAST two dozen different such guns.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
My 625 is, to me, one of the sweetest sixguns I've ever shot. I've shot three-, four- and six-inch ones, as well as my five-inch 625-4.

I think the full-underlugged 5" tube gives the best combination of balance, pointability and control of muzzle flip during rapid fire.

GrandmasterB

Is that a good deal and does anybody know what dealer cost is? I don't know what dealer cost is, but $519 sounds reasonable. Does it have the hammer mounted firing pin, or is it frame mounted?

How much are 625s going for used? I've seen several posted on online auction sites for $400 to $500, most of the time

Any models to avoid in the 625 line? I want stainless steel for durability and looks to match my 610. I don't think there are any models to avoid. If you are thinking about using it for competition shooting, I would get the 4" model at least. The 3" is too short for competition in my opinion.

Should I snag it or wait around for a nicely used 625 with some accessories and some wear on the trigger action and a pocket a nice $125 in savings? Most 625's are in that general price range, even used.

I don't have an IPSC revolver and understand they just went to a 4 inch max. -- IPSC does not have a 4 inch restriction. That is IDPA, and the rule does not go into effect until October 2002. You can shoot 6" guns in IPSC.

jtduncan

Tamara and GrandmasterB:

Thanks for specifically answering my questions. Very concise. :)

It seems that the general consensus is that the longer 5 inch barrels are getting most people the best accuracy and feel.

My 610 is a 6 incher and my Redhawk is at 7.5 inches so I perform fine with longer tubes.

Now how often do the used ones pop up?

I can put my finger on a dozen used 629s, several 686s, and three or so 610s but the 625s are harder to find. Is that generally the case?

jtduncan

Does it have the hammer mounted firing pin, or is it frame mounted? Probably fresh off of the production line.

I've seen several posted on online auction sites for $400 to $500, most of the
time $430-450 used is what I'm seeing in general now.

Any models to avoid in the 625 line? I want stainless steel for durability and looks to match my 610. I don't think there
are any models to avoid. If you are thinking about using it for competition shooting, I would get the 4" model at
least. The 3" is too short for competition in my opinion. Thanks

Should I snag it or wait around for a nicely used 625 with some accessories and some wear on the trigger action and a
pocket a nice $125 in savings? Most 625's are in that general price range, even used.

I don't have an IPSC revolver and understand they just went to a 4 inch max. -- IPSC does not have a 4 inch
restriction. That is IDPA, and the rule does not go into effect until October 2002. You can shoot 6" guns in IPSC. So I can compete in IPSC with it, just not IDPA past 10/02. Thanks. I've got dozens of toys that may work anyway. I just want a nice 45 ACP to increase my revolver trigger performance.

zeke

JT-the full underlug 5 inchers are very accurate with most loads, recoil less (compared to Mt gun).

When going to the range however, usually pick the 4 in Mt gun over the 5 in. Much prefer the balance of the 45 acp Mt gun (ain't used to long heavy target barrels), although it recoils more with full powered loads and is more picky of what it shoots accurate with.

Darkangel

I've owned the 625-2 5 inch full lug for a number of years, its one of my favoret weapons. Mine is outstandinly accurate, and well balenced, control seemes much better than the 2 or 4 inch. I use it at the bowling pin shoots quite often. I now can eject and reload much faster then any other weapon. The full moon clips make it so easy. I looked at the blue book and it seemes to be
$550.00 at 100%, $430.00 at 98%. You can't go wrong with this weapon.
good luck
DA
:D

BADSBSNF81

I've been shooting a 5" full lug for the last 10+ years. Accurate, reliable and shoots anything you can find or dream up (within reason and safety standards) Don't see them on the used market in my neck of the woods. You won't be disappointed if you get it.

Alleycat

My 625 took some work to get really right, but it's perfectnow. Primary IPSC gun.

Get the hammer mounted firing pin if this will be worked on for competition--they say you can get about 25 % lighter than with a frame mounted pin, and that's held up in my experience.

I think the 5" barrel is perfect in this combo, and I'm looking for a 610 to cut to 5" also. Perfect for me!

Steve

jtduncan

robert:

I took back the used 610 to the dealer who promptly refunded my money.

It was a tight used Smith but the charge holes in the cylinder appeared to be to deviate to the point where my spent cases would not eject freely and that was factory ammo. They sent it back to SW for a new cylinder.

I just bought a NIB 6.5" 610 with the funds.

So it resolved. I still trust my dealers around here.

jtduncan

UPDATE:

Yesterday I bought the NIB SW 625 with the 5" tube.
:) $519 plus tax. Best price in Seattle for NIB and some of my dealer were asking up to $580 to "order" it for me.

The balance and feel on the 5" was just right for me.

And that glass bead blasted finish is a nice touch. I'll just need to get used to those target sights.

As soon as I bought it, I tendered it over the Chuck McDough (sp?), the gunsmith at WSI in Bellevue WA.

Chuck does some great trigger action jobs on Smiths and Rugers. Like butter. So I'll have to wait maybe 2-3 weeks but will have the smooth action I want.

Now, who has some nice 200 grain SWC plated recipes that work well in their 625?

Alleycat

Rainier 200 gr SWC plated
4.1 gr Titegroup
Federal Large pistol primer

There you have it. 4.1 gr is a little light, and may leave some unburned powder, but it's a VERY accurate load in my gun.

For IPSC I load to major, and accuracy goes down a little, but with good pressure, titegroup gets spotless. There's some soot, but who cares, as long as there's no powder or other grunge to tie up the gun? I've gone 1500 rounds or more without even brushing out the cylinder at the IRC (sharing the gun), and reloads stay fast and the gun stays free of powder flakes, etc.

Good luck!

Steve

JoeHatley

jt,

Congrats on the new purchase!!!

For accuracy, I load:

4.5 grains Bullseye
200 grain SWC Rainier or cast bullet
Federal 150 primer

For my 625's I use a roll crimp, helps with loading and clean power burn.

Good Luck...

Joe

7th Fleet

I have a Model of 1989 625 with a 4" barrel and it is my favorite revolver out of the many that I own. I did an action job on this gun and it is unbelievealbe how smooth and slick the action is.

7th

dewey

JT-
6.0gr.of 231 may be on the fast side at 975 or so
but you'll find it VERY accurate.GOOD LUCK...dewey