Tell me about your Glock 21 or 36.

Target Shooter

I'm interested in the Glock 21 or 36. Who here has one or the other and likes it, or dislikes it.
How's the accuracy? Muzzle flip or recoil? Reliability? Trigger pull? Ergonomics? Etc??
Looking for good information not ..."They're Junk" or "They are Great" with no explanation.
Give me some of your personal reviews of the handgun.

Keep in mind I'm a 1911 kinda guy...but I want one.

Thanks,
TS

One last thing....What would you consider a good price for a new one or a Like New in Box?

Bob Locke

I own roughly 15 different firearms of various configurations and cablibers. Of all of them, my Glock 21 is my favorite. For me, it is an absolutely perfect fit.

I can get chest hits on silhouette targets out to 50 yards with it (never tried beyong that) every single time. That's obviously not target competition quality, but I've found it to be far more than just "combat accurate" (to borrow a term).

Followup shots are a dream come true. Shooting IDPA, I've gotten to where I can put two shots into each of three targets at about 10 feet in roughly two seconds. That's from holstered to the last shot being fired. Double taps are just sweet.

The one drawback to the G21 in general is actually a plus for me, and that's the overall size of the gun. I'm a pretty big fellow (6'3, size 14 ring), so having a lot of gun to hang on to is a GOOD thing in my book.

The trigger on the Glock is going to disappoint you if you're a serious 1911 shooter. Because I never was, I had no preconceived notions to overcome. Also, I had the 3.5 pound disconnect installed in my gun by a Glock armorer buddy of mine. Not sure if it makes a LOT of difference (I never even fired it with the standard trigger disconnect in it), but the package I have right now suits me to a tee.

Also, the grip angle on the Glock is pretty different from most other firearms. If you hold your wrist at the same angle with a Glock as you do your 1911, you'll end up with the barrel about 10 degrees high. For me, they point naturally.

Capacity is where the G21 generally excels over most other .45's. Obviously, 10-rounders are shipped with the pistols, and 13-rounders can be had, but for the price of just a handful of them you could buy another pistol. That's a two or three round advantage over most 1911's with the 10-rounders, and almost twice the capacity if you pony up for the 13's.

As far as reliability goes, I have something in the neighborhood of 1500-1800 rounds through mine and it has never, not once, failed to perform. No malfunctions of any kind.

Because of the mass of the gun, and the low bore axis, recoil and muzzle flip are negligible IMO.

Okay, I'm done! :D

Bob Locke

Forgot to talk about price.

For a brand new G21, I would expect to pay something just shy of $600, depending on where you live.

For a LNIB, I'd probably go $450.

.357SIG

Since I have limited experience with either, I can't comment too much.

Ergonomics for the G36: go into the garage and grab a 1x2 board (a 1x3 would be better, but who has those sitting around?). That is almost what the G36 grip feels like. The G21, OTOH, feels great. It does not mold to your hand, but it is not a brick either.

Never fired the G36, but the G21 has less muzzle flip than my USP .45. Like all GLOCKS, it is more accurate than I could ever be. I have no trouble making a big, ragged hole with my friend's G21. Maybe one day I'll get my own.:)

johnwill

I have a Glock 21, and I like it a lot. I have small hands, and the one problem I have is the grip is a bit too large. One day, I intend to have a grip reduction done on it, that should help a lot. Mine has never failed me either. I bought mine well used, and sent it to Glock for their upgrades, it came back like a new pistol, cost $0. I also got a real deal on it, $300 with two early hi-cap Glock mags. While they're not the so-called "drop-free", they have no trouble acting like they are, and the price was right. I have never even picked up the G36, can't comment on that one.

Chemistry

As for my Glock 21...

It's the softest-shooting .45 ACP pistol I have ever fired. Even the stoutest of +P .45 ACP loads are no problem at all.

It's also ironclad in terms of reliability. No problems with hot loads, and no problems with the somewhat lighter loads.

So far, it's eaten about 5000 of my own reloads, and has yet to hiccup from an ammunition-related problem.

I did have a problem when using a magazine that had a worn spring, but after changing the spring and follower has fixed that problem.

Target Shooter

WOW...I guess I should have known I would hear good things about the 21 and 36. I'm not exactly Glock Free either.
I've owned the Glock 19 and currently still have a Glock 17.
I have to admit I don't shoot it all that much but the 3 or 4 times I had it out it ran flawless. Accuracy was more than acceptable and it fits me fine.
The only reason I got rid of the 19 was accuracy. I could hold a 2" group at 15 yards off hand but that's not accurate enough for me. My 17 will make one hole the size of a quarter at the same distance.
I actually fired the 21 once about 8 or 9 months ago. A guy put 5 rounds in a mag and I ran them through. He was shooting at 25 yards and I fired on his same target so not sure exactly how I did.

Thanks for all the replies....especially Bob who really took the time to explain in detail. (Not to take anything away from you others, I appreciate all your comments!)

Anybody else has comments I would like to hear them also.

TS

Arizona Eric

I have had a 21 for about five years. I have put probably around 1200 rounds of my reloads through it without problem. Kept my eyes open for "cheap" regular-capacity mags, there ain't none, but I was able to pick up one or two at a time without going broke. Put some Trijicons on it and I am good to go. I like it a lot.

JJCII

The G21 is easily one of the best .45ACP pistols on the market. Off-hand 25ft one-ragged hole accuracy with preffered ammo (Winchester Whitebox 230grn). Simple to maintain and operate. As others have said it's a soft shooter (i.e. low muzzle rise due to low bore axis). I've had two and lament selling them both. I have yet to see much less shoot a G36, so no opinions there.

JJCII

3dcool

Hi Target Shooter............

I own both the Glock 21 and the Glock 36. I love both. Here's the advantages and disadvantages that I see:

Glock 21:
+ Holds 10+ rounds
+ Larger, thus easier for *me* to hold onto
+ Less recoil
+ Slightly more accurate due to less recoil
- Concealed? Forgetaboutit. :)

Glock 36:
- Holds 6+1 rounds
-/+ Small, but still easy for me to grip, and still comfy. + or - depending on your size. :)
- More recoil than 21
+ More bang than 21! :)
+ Mags MUCH easier to load
+ Easy to conceal

Both 21/36 are identical for cleaning and for operating. Very easy to use both even for a newbie.

Hope some of this helps!

-Ben

Ignatius

I have had my G21 for less than a year and it's only the second Glock I've owned (started with a G23 after almost exclusive use of 1911's for twenty years).

Here's what I like:
1. Once I got used to the grip and the general "feel" of how it should sit in my hand I have very little muzzle flip.
2. The slide, at least on mine, feels like it's on ball bearings.
3. It is very consistent at ranges up to 50 yds and would do even better, I'm sure, if I did my part consistently.
4. The grip feels great in my hand despite what others have often said about it being too large, bulky, like a two-by-four, etc.
5. Even with its size it is easy for me to carry concealed.

Here's what I don't like:
1. My natural point of aim with 1911's is better, I tend to shoot the G21 a bit high.
2. My slide stop lever is stock and is therefore not a slide release lever . . . I know I can change it out for an extended release but I like keeping the gun stock.
3. It's pre-ban so I can use the 13-round magazines but all my 13-rounders are non-drop-free.
4. The 10-round magazines I have don't seem to like having 10 rounds put in them and I usually just place 9 (one in the pipe and 8 in the magazine).

bfj2

I have the Glock 30 which is like the 36 but thicker and holds 10+1 rounds. I LOVE it. It shoots great and has little kick. Everyonh that I let shoot it is shocked about how little of a kick that it has. Besides it is a Glock. They are the Timex of guns.

John

Target Shooter

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Guess I'll have to put plan "B" into place. That would be the search and rescue mission on the new Glock handgun.

TS

IanS

No, Glocks are like Timex or G-Shocks not Rolex. We're not a bunch of snobs who feel they have to pay more to know what time it is!

(Its just a little jab related to another thread. wink wink nudge nudge Please don't take it so seriously)

jtduncan

Target Shooter:

Go to GlockTalk and ask. The G30 rules the 45 ACP Glock roost. Thicker than a G19 but basically the same size. Ideal for CCW and raneg training or competing.

I've shot the G21, the G30, and the G36 many times at WSI. For sheer CCW with little shooting, the G36 is fine. But for lots of shooting, the G21 or G30 is the way to go.

The G30 can use the G21 hi caps and you can get an A&G mag extension so it feels like a G21 in your hand. And of all three, most shooters statate the G30 is the lightest recoiling of all of the 45 aCP Glocks due to its double recoil spring assembly.

I love my G30 but hate that it doesn't feed SWCs. That's the only reason I'd buy a G21.

My G30 outshoots my range's G21 all day long. As it does for most Glock shooters.

And the G36 is too thin for most Glock shooters. Mixed reviews.

See you're a WA guy.

I shoot at WSI and the Seattle Police Range. Email me and we can shoot!