Tell me about the SKS!!

denfoote

Ok, I'm about to open up a can of worms here!!! This question probably gets raised here about as often as the Glock 3.5lb connector gets it over in handguns!!! But, here goes. I just got a Norinco SKS. Other than the fact that it is a gas operated, semi automatic rifle in 7.62x39mm, I know nothing about it. This is only my second rifle. The other being a Marlin 30-30. BTW, I've figured out what all those stripper clips do!!! :rolleyes: Help me guys and gals!! What kind of a beast have I here!!! There was no manual provided!!!:eek: Where can I find one??? Eventually, I'm going to have to field strip it. (sooner than not, I think because of the gas operation. ;) ) No, I have not shot it, yet!!!!:D
Thanks for any info in advance!!!:cool:

AR-10

http://pub7.ezboard.com/bsurvivorssksboards

Go to the link above and read all about it.

Learn how to strip it and clean it before you go shooting.

Always treat it as though it will slam fire when you chamber a round. Never happened to me, but it can happen.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the trigger, and cleaning it after shooting that crappy Russian ammo. It is a fun gun,though.

Jamie Young

Make sure you clean it right and DON'T USE WD40 ON IT!!!!!!!!!

Be carefull about all the Junk accessories for it. Most of the scope mounts don't hold Zero. I had 3 Mounts and NONE of them held zero after I took the gun apart.

Don't try and turn it into an AK by getting those Detachable mags. Stick with Stripper clips and you'll never have a Jam.

The Iron Sights don't mean anything (Trust Me) except the little U setting. Just sight in the gun on that little U and leave it.

Jeff Thomas

Great rifles. You've made two good choices already.

Go to any gun show, and you can usually find a few SKS manuals around. Here are some other links you'll find useful:

http://www.net1plus.com/users/oscar/sksmanual/sksmanual.html

http://home.cdsnet.net/~lannyaf/manual.htm

http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_Rifles/officialsksmanual.asp

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/sks/tc9_56.pdf

I found those just by doing a search with Yahoo. I'm sure there's lots more. However, having a paper copy is quite handy.

You'll enjoy the SKS. Very dependable ... brother to an AK, in a sense. Reasonable accuracy.

Have fun. Regards from AZ

Redlg155

Just curious, did you get one of the older version Norinco SKS's or the newer "neutered" versions? The newer versions have no provision for bayonnet attatchment and have part of the front sight hood ground off.

Many of the scope mounts available replace the upper reciever cover. These are terrible for holding a zero. If you can find one that mounts directly to the reciever you have a better chance of getting one to hold its zero.

You also have a jillion accessories/aftermarket parts you can install. I personally would enjoy it just like it is. You have a great reliable weapon that is a lot of fun to shoot!

Good Shooting
Red

denfoote

Quote by SodaPop

Be carefull about all the Junk accessories for it. Most of the scope mounts don't hold Zero. I had 3 Mounts and NONE of them held zero after I took the gun apart.

I have a Norinco scope and mount, but it is not on the gun. I'm not much of a scope man myself, so it might just sit in the drawer!!

Don't try and turn it into an AK by getting those Detachable mags. Stick with Stripper clips and you'll never have a Jam.

Why would I want to do that?? I already have the 20rd Chinese fixed mag installed!!! ;)

Quote by Redleg

Just curious, did you get one of the older version Norinco SKS's or the newer "neutered" versions? The newer versions have no provision for bayonnet attatchment and have part of the front sight hood ground off.

Mine has the Bayonet!! However, I am told it is illegal to install it!!! :rolleyes: The ATF ( :barf: :barf: ) must think I'm going to do a drive by stabbing!!! ;)

Azrael256

Not only is it illegal to install the bayonet for your own use, but it's banned on the battlefield. It makes a wound that has to be significantly expanded to suture.

I think the SKS is a neat rifle. It's a lot of fun to shoot, relatively easy to clean, cheap ammo, and the 7.62x39 makes it feel like something substantial without making it difficult to shoot.

One tip. Make SURE the bolt is closed before you pull the receiver cover off. That will save you a bruise or two (or three, in my case).

As for the scope... The receiver cover mount is a poor place to mount a scope to begin with. It's not going to be too terribly accurate, but it'll work as well as the iron sights, and it's a little easier to use. I say attach it and have fun. If you don't like it, take it off.

Two questions... Is it the Paratrooper model, or the standard? The paratrooper has a 16.5" bbl. Are you sure it's a 20-rd? The standard mag is 10.

Tropical Z

I've been thinking about installing a fixed 20 rounder in my Norinco.Let us know how it works Denfoote.Also,just make sure after you clean it that you can hear the firing pin slapping back and forth when the bolt is off the rifle.

songdog_sniper

i have norinko full lenth (not paratroper) model with a 20 round fixed norinko mag and it wors great!!! when i bought mine it had an ati draganouv stock. it's pretty cool. but i tell you i put a cheap red dot scope from tasco on it on a norinko weaver style receiver mount and it also works well.

it's a gun you can toy with and some cases have to for instance for me to get the reciver cover off mine with that dragonouv stock i had to cut the little tip off behind it. go to www.simonov.net and it will have al the info you could ever need.

Snowdog

When I purchased my first unissued Norinco SKS type-56 in '93, I figured I couldn't go wrong with it having a $90 price tag. I was somewhat impressed with the cost of Norinco 123gr FMJs at the time too, going for $5.50/20 (silver box).
It was one of the best purchases I've made.

My luck continued as I ordered 100 rounds from a mail-order company that same week and received 100 rounds of Norinco yellow box ammunition (steel core). These are next to impossible to find. Though I'm sure it was an accident, I received 5 boxes of steel core Norinco for $25 + S&H. Ofcourse, I held on to them.

The only PIA disassembly is to remove the trigger guard. Simple enough, but I'm too prone to scraping my knuckles as is... I always seem to loose some skin while doing this (removal is necessary to replace the fixed magazine).

I'll just say you have a rifle that continues to appreciate.

hksigwalther

"Why would I want to do that?? I already have the 20rd Chinese fixed mag installed!!!"

Ahh, but did you paint the little stars red yet? I've got one too and it has worked great.

Now my Norinco SKS was bought in the very early '90s well before any bans and restrictions and came with a spike bayonet attached. Is this not legal?

denfoote

Two questions... Is it the Paratrooper model, or the standard? The paratrooper has a 16.5" bbl. Are you sure it's a 20-rd? The standard mag is 10.

Azrael,
I don't think it's a paratrooper model. Yes, the mag is 20rds. I also have the standard 10rd mag too.

HK,
No, I haven't painted the stars yet!! ;)

Rome

Your new SKS

All the previous posters have given you the great links and information, especially about the "slam fire" scenario. The SKS is prone to it so don't load it unless you're at the range or somewhere you can control the muzzle. (especially in your living room!)

The "normal" routine the very first time you shoot is to only load one round, fire, two rounds, fire, fire, and then three rounds. If you strip a complete magazine, you might have a real mess on your hands if it slams. Also, cleaning the bolt and firing pin will avoid that problem. One other note, make sure you pay strict attention to the placement of the firing pin. It can go in upside down which will guarantee a slam fire!!!

As semi-autos go, the SKS is a piece of cake to own and operate. It tolerates just about any ammo: clean or dirty, it rarely if ever has a stoppage, parts are abundent, there aren't any gas valves to clean or get dirty, it looks evil, and is really cheap to shoot.

I did a lot of reading about the history of the SKS and learned some interesting facts. First of all, it has a chrome lined barrel. The recently imported Yugos do not have chromed barrels, btw. Properly cleaned, the bore should shine like a new quarter. I've never seen a poor bore on an SKS, ever.

Secondly, they always shoot. The Vietcong used them extensively and I've read that after being dragged through the mud, they would simply pee on it to clean it! When I told that so my buds at the range a few years ago, they all offered to clean my rifle for me!

During the fall of Saigon, the Vietcong had planted hundreds of SKSs in secret hiding places throughout the city. When they went to grab them, they discovered that the termites had eaten the stocks. That didn't stop them from using them, however. I've seen a photo of a Vietcong soldier shooting his SKS with the butt wrapped in a shirt! I mean these rifles are damn near indestructable.

All of that said, I shoot mine from time to time but prefer a more "manly" semi-auto to the tiny round these rifles shoot. They are a great primer for newbies to rifle shooting as they get you used to semi-auto fire without the huge bang a larger cartridge supplies.

One other note about ammo. I don't shoot the Wolf any longer. I don't like the mess or the smell although it is cheap. I much prefer the brass cased South African ammo you can buy everywhere now. It costs a fraction more but is much cleaner and accurate.

Whatever you do, don't "sporterize" or bubba-up that rifle. Keep it original and enjoy it for what it is. It's fun, lightweight, accurate, and interesting. Spend some time researching the sites the other posters have provided to you. You'll be impressed with the history of this rifle. One last note of warning. Don't be tempted to build an "auto" version of the trigger group which you'll see mentioned here and there. That would be bad in many ways.

Rome

Gewehr98

After swearing I'd never get another one...

I sold my first SKS, a Chinese "Paratrooper" variant, back in 1991. I paid all of $89.00 for it, new in the cosmoline. I sold it after using it to qualify for my DCM Garand, and used the money to help pay the $165.00 cost of the Garand.

Fast-forward a few years. Now they banned mounting of bayonets on any Chinese SKS made after November of 1991. Prices have gone up on them, and the vintage Russian C&R eligible variants have about dried up.

I walk into a local shop today, and there sits a Yugoslavian SKS, complete with bayonet, integral grenade launcher, gas cutoff, and grenade sight, milled receiver and trigger group, drenched in cosmoline. A quick check on bore condition, and now it's on layaway in my name.;)

One thing about disassembly for cleaning.

Make DAMNED SURE that the bolt is closed BEFORE you try to take the receiver cover off!

If you don't, it will take off on you.

sleeping dog

Stupid SKS tricks

One little thing I learned is that you have to be careful taking the safety off. It's easy to snag too much of the safety lever and pull the trigger as the safety comes down.

No big deal, as long as you always keep it pointed in a safe direction (whew!).

These things are super reliable and fun to shoot. Cheap, too.

Regards.

Another thing I learned is .223 ammo doesn't work all that well in them.