Tell me about the Savage Mark II 22lr

CarbineKid

Tell me about the Savage Mark II-G
I've been looking for a decent 22 bolt action rifle. I really like this rifle, but I can't find much info, or reviews on it. Im looking for info on how well the gun is made, fit & finish, and reliability. Any help is appreciated.

coolridelude

i have one in lefthand. i bought it at wally world. have shot about 5000 rounds since may 2005 and it works flawless. goood groups at 50yrds. with just regular site. i ahve the wooden stock. smooth bolt action. some people say that you might need to do a trigger job on it but i like it the way it is. very reliable so far. comes with a 10 round mag. the mag might get in the way. but it does not make a big diffence. shoots better than my friends ruger 10/20. check out. rimfirecentral.com gots a lot of good info

ba_50

I bought a LH Mark II and wanted a refund but Savage wouldn't do it. It wouldn't extract, eject, and had 3 misfires. The trigger felt like 8-10# pull. It took them 13 days to sent parts. I changed my mind about fixing it myself and sent it in 3 weeks ago tomorrow for repair and they just shipped it back yesterday. Their rifle range was down for 1 week they said. They had to ream the chamber, and probably change a spring on the bolt. They checked the accuracy at 100 yards and it sounded excellent with Federal Gold Medal ammo. I can't remember exactly what it was.

I will no doubt do trigger work on it when I get it back.

There really isn't any excuse for not testing it before they sold it. They would have found out on the first shot it wasn't right.

So it looks like it will be about 2 months since I bought it, before it is possibly shootable. If I have anymore trouble with it, back it goes.
I guess you can decide for yourself if you want to take the chance on getting a good one.

psycho nut

I too got a lefty Mk. II and don't have any problems my only complaint is that the rear sight isn't windage adjustable. It's a good rifle for 100$ or so.

Last edited:

mgdavis

I got the standard version, mounted a bushnell 4x scope. couple thousand rounds through it, it's very reliable and accurate.

gfen

I too have an FXP.

Never used the winky scope, and loathe the plastic stock, regret not purchasing the wood stocked model.

Did the home trigger job with shim stock, worked like a champ.

The 5rd mags from their other models work just fine it, well, so everyone says. I never bought one. :)

Cheap, accurate, fun.