Tell me about the S&W 3rd gen autos

SC4006

I've had my S&W 4006 for many years now, and I absolutely love it. It's a good looking pistol, and is built like a tank... And probably weighs about as much as one too. It was my first pistol as a matter of fact. I unfortunately don't shoot it nearly as much as I'd like to, and I've honestly never really taken the time to learn much about it until now. I'd like to know more not only about the 4006, but the 3rd gen autos in general.

As I recall, the 4006 was the first pistol ever designed for the .40 S&W cartridge, and was released along side it in the 90's, is this correct? Also if I remember correctly, the first two digits in the model number refer to the caliber, and the last two refer to the material the frame is made of. Besides that I don't really know too much else about them like the history, different models, etc.

Also it doesn't seem like the 3rd gens are talked about a whole lot even though they seem like great pistols. How popular were they when first released?

stormyone

My first handgun was a 2nd gen Glock 19 back in 1992. I remember the 2nd & 3rd gen S&W handguns from that time. But I was never interested in them. My brother's dept issued him a S&W 45 back around 1995. I thought it was too heavy - I was used to my Glock which was much lighter. I was hypnotized by the polymer pistols.
Of course, you never realize how much you want something until you can no longer get it. I was a fool. I can't believe I never bought a 3913 Lady Smith because it had "Lady Smith" on the slide. I let new 6906's sit on the shelf while I looked at the newest high capacity tupperware.

If only I could go back.....

db4570

This is a good reference:

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-smith-wesson-semi-automatic-models/

I have a 3rd gen S&W and like it, but don't love it. It's a CS9, which is a very nice compact 9. I don't love it because it's stainless, and I prefer blue/black. Also, being the compact version, it's a bit stubby looking. I am keeping my eyes open for a full size.

But the Gen 3s have a great reputation for being very rugged and reliable. I also like them because they have the Beretta 92 style safety, which I'm used to.

Go over to the Smith and Wesson Forum and you'll find a lot of guys who are really into their Gen 3s.

Enjoy!

David

TunnelRat

Also it doesn't seem like the 3rd gens are talked about a whole lot even though they seem like great pistols. How popular were they when first released?

They have a pretty strong following here and elsewhere. They're no longer in production so it limits the exposure, not to mention when people think DA/SA they often think of SIG or Beretta instead. Striker fired pistols are the rage these days too. I've owned a 5903 and a 908. I liked them both, I'm just not a big fan of slide mounted safeties. I was always impressed at how short of a reset they had for a production pistol.

Last edited:

745SW

Stuff I dislike about some of the metal Smith's is the wrap around grips, prefer side panels. At first look I like the 945 (45ACP) and 952 (9mm) but prefer a bushingless barrel. They appear to have been high precision and pricey, not my thing. :eek: My 745's use side panel grips and the barrel is the bushingless type.

Last edited:

bac1023

Stuff I dislike about some of the metal Smith's is the rap around grips, prefer side panels. At first look I like the 945 (45ACP) and 952 (9mm) but prefer a bushingless barrel. They appear to have been high precision and pricey, not my thing.

Those two are totally different than your run-of-the-mill 3rd gen Smith autos.

Its apples and oranges. :cool:

WaltherRuger

My son collects the 3rd Gen Smiths and carries them. They are good shooters. The triggers are nice.

There is a great following over at the S&W forum. Good bunch of guys.

dgludwig

QUOTE: As I recall, the 4006 was the first pistol ever designed for the .40 S&W cartridge, and was released along side it in the 90's, is this correct?

You are correct but with the caveat that, although the Model 4006 was "introduced" in 1990, there is some evidence to show that Glock made the first pistol chambered in .40 S&W to actually make it to the buying public (by about a month's time, I've read).

I'm a big fan of Smith's "Third Generation" pistols and have long believed they are some of the most sturdy, reliable and well-made semi-autos ever produced.

Sevens

They did! :mad::eek: In a dirty turn of events. Rumor was that S&W intro'd the round at an industry show with the pistol to be available "soon" and someone was able to squirrel away with a round of ammo and Glock rushed out a G-22 chambered in ".40"

Anyway, the 3rd Gens are a bit of a passion of mine. I have two 4006's and a few other 3rd Gens also. As most of them are DA/SA (or sometimes referred to as "TDA" traditional double action) they are kind of old news by today's semi-auto pistol happenings.

I could talk about them endlessly but the conversation could literally go 15 different directions. Specifics?! Shout 'em out! Let's hash this out! :D

745SW

At the time most didn't know Gaston Glock at Shot Show. He got a handful of sample 40 S&W carts and is said took measurements at the show. As recalled from the book, The Glock, America's Gun.

TunnelRat

As recalled from the book, The Glock, America's Gun.

Is that worth reading? I've been debating picking it up for some time. I wasn't shooting at the time Glock came on the market, but there were a lot of decent pistols (S&W 3rd gens included) and I always wondered how Glock got the inroads they did.

745SW

The book is one of the most interesting reads and I have a history of not reading or not wanting to read.

SC4006

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess there are a few more people than I thought interested in these fine pistols! I just wish there were more aftermarket parts available for them. I'd like to get a suppressor for my 4006 someday but finding a threaded barrel is next to impossible.

Also thanks for that link db4570, that's exactly what I wanted.