Tell me about the Glock 20

riffraff

I'm not a huge striker pistol fan and those trigger safeties kinda annoy me even, normally want to reach for something metal with a protruding hammer but I have always been intrigued by Glocks, the aftermarket support, the story, the mags. and every time I shoot one I'm impressed..

I really want a 10mm pistol, not happy with the offerings I'd usually lean to and recently shot a Glock 20, similarly was real impressed with how it muted the recoil, the weight, even the trigger was decent, and the capacity is just outstanding. I want one but am Glock illiterate. What is there to know, what options/models are out there on this model? Educate me.

Thanks in advance!

Dan-O

If it’s gonna be a range toy, I’d get a Lonewolf from the bottom up.

If it’s gonna actually see carry use then the stock 20 is pretty decent.

If you don’t reload, you’re wasting my time and your money.

Google and YouTube are your friends regardless. Don’t be afraid to educate yourself and form your own opinion.

Last edited:

USNRet93

I'm not a huge striker pistol fan and those trigger safeties kinda annoy me even, normally want to reach for something metal with a protruding hammer but I have always been intrigued by Glocks, the aftermarket support, the story, the mags. and every time I shoot one I'm impressed..

I really want a 10mm pistol, not happy with the offerings I'd usually lean to and recently shot a Glock 20, similarly was real impressed with how it muted the recoil, the weight, even the trigger was decent, and the capacity is just outstanding. I want one but am Glock illiterate. What is there to know, what options/models are out there on this model? Educate me.

Thanks in advance!
Reliable, accurate..TONS of aftermarket stuff..Ammunition expensive when compared to other more common HG ammo..

LOTS of Glock in general and Glock 20 specifically, videos, opinions, etc..but 'opinions' are just that.
and every time I shoot one I'm impressed..

You are 95% 'there'....Many used ones..nice think with Glock, 'used' means it will still probably be an excellent handgun..2 out of 3 of my Glocks were 'preowned'...both 100% reliable.

44caliberkid

I love the long slide version, but either one are fine handguns. Lots of aftermarket accessories. As it has become more popular, ammo cost has come down, Fiocchi and Privi are $18 for a box of 50, American Eagle is $22. You can keep a mag loaded with Sig hollow points for "just in case."

riffraff

I'm sure I will buy it new, Glocks just aren't that expensive and I am very meticulous with my guns, so for me an extra $200 is worth it to know from day 1 good practices were followed. As mentioned the ammo isn't outrageous, had I have looked into 10mm years ago I would've already owned one, always wrote it off as some expensive fringe caliber - recently realized both it's worth and that it is actually not all that much more than .45.

As far as the frames go, anyone have a preference to SF versus standard? Generally speaking I have a shorter grip, no problem with HGs people bitch about like full size Sigs but in an ideal world I would always prefer a smaller grip.

bamaranger

G20

If you've handled and shot one and found the "feel" of the gun to your liking, you are over the first hurdle with the big Glocks. The second is dealing with ammo cost. That would be a good excuse to learn to reload. As noted, some complain about the grip radius. I've never found 10mm recoil that offensive, and liken it to little more than a stout .45 acp, regardless of what make pistol.

Regards models Glock models in 10mm, in addition to the G20, there is the G29 and G40. The two prior come in the SF configuration (I think). The G40 is a 6 inch version and can be had with the slide ready to take a dot sight. The G29 is a compact version with 3.78" barrel and shorter butt that takes a 10 rd mag, the full size 15 rd mag from the G20/40 will fit in the G29 also, but will protrude from the shorter butt a bit.

My G20 is an early version with no finger grooves on the butt. It has been absolutely reliable, I don't know that I've ever had a failure to feed or function. It has also been eerily accurate with jacketed 180 grain bullets. Early on I installed a Ghost trigger kit, that has been the only mod.

The 10mm is oft touted as being .41 mag like in power, which is not quite true, as it runs on the heels of the lead "police load" .41, but well behind the jacketed .41 fodder. The 10mm is indeed superior to most if not all .357 mag loads. The boutique ammo companies take the 10mm to its full potential. Some run of the mill factory ammo is little more than hot .40 S&W.

I see the G20's greatest virtue as offering magnum revolver performance in a package that carries easier and provides more shots in hand. My G20 has largely retired my mag revolvers as heavy woods pistols.

Hammerhead

Love the G-20.
I had a KKM .40 s&w conversion barrel for it that was real slick, very accurate and reliable.
Kind of like a 357 revolver with the option of firing 38's.

jmr40

I see the G20's greatest virtue as offering magnum revolver performance in a package that carries easier and provides more shots in hand. My G20 has largely retired my mag revolvers as heavy woods pistols.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I've had a G20 for years, but a few years ago added a G29. I end up using it a lot more. I give up about 50 fps with the same ammo but there is no difference in accuracy for me. I can always use the 15 round magazines In the G29 too.

I can buy 10mm ammo locally for the same price as 40 S&W ammo and cheaper than 45. In fact 40 S&W ammo will function just fine in a G20 or G29 with no modifications. Just load in the magazine and fire. I can tell no difference in accuracy nor POI. But since 10mm ammo is now the same price as 40 I see no advantage to doing so. But it is nice to know in case of an emergency.

The better loads will push a 200 gr hardcast bullet from a G20 at about 1300 fps. I get 1315 fps over my chronograph with DoubleTap ammo. A 41 or 357 mag will beat that with 8" test barrels, but when the magnum rounds are fired from 4" revolver barrels in the real world 10mm does beat 41 mag. and a 4" barreled revolver will be an inch longer and full pound heavier than the G20.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/41mag.html

If I were buying a handgun specifically for big game hunting I'd still prefer a 6" or longer barreled magnum revolver. From longer barrels the magnum rounds have a decided speed advantage. And with better triggers, and longer sight radius the revolvers will be more accurate. But for large predator defense along with 2 legged protection the G20 or G29 is the perfect dual purpose choice.

J.G. Terry

I really enjoy my G20.3. The gun is powerful and runs well. I reload so the cost of ammo is not a concern. I have a Lone Wolf barrel in the gun right now. The only change I made in the gun is an extended take down latch. Using a striker fired handgun is an experience to newfers on Glock's and the like. Try the G20 as it is a unique experience.

MarkCO

Love 10mm and my G20SF. I have a Bomar rear and fiber optic front sight. On the trigger, an overtravel stop and 3.5 pound connector with an XP trigger spring. Cleans up the trigger mush all through the travel, but the most at the end.

riffraff

Thanks guys!

I'm definitely sold on it.

Going to go with what I shot, which was a Gen4 20. That size to me feels just right.

DaleA

Please come back with your views if you get one, I'd be interested.

As far as information goes, I got questions but no answers for you. There are Glock folk here that could easily answer or correct me on the following and I hope they chime in.

I think the 'short frame' Glock 20 was not needed for gen 4 versions and you won't find an SF gen 4 20.

I don't know if the unsupported barrel is a thing for the 10mm. That is, do Glock 20's bulge casings? Is this really a problem for reloading? If it is a problem for reloading will an after market barrel fix this problem?

How versatile is the Glock 20 for switching to other calibers?

Well color me embarrassed. As soon as I posted this I did a basic Google search and found this video about Glock conversions. It's too late for me to watch it now so I'll just throw it out. The video claims 11 caliber conversions for the Glock 20 and 21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZUkMESzSw

riffraff

Ya I got to the same place in SF versus gen4, so just gonna go gen4, mind you it's what I shot and liked already..

As far as calibers, I could care less about converting this pistol because I'm buying it to get 10mm. Glocks are also fairly inexpensive, at least out of the box, so if I decided I must have another caliber I'd probably go for a different pistol.

As far as the casings, provided they are ejected I'm happy :).. I just don't have the time to get into reloading, my brass is returned to the earth where it started.

Ruger45LC

To me the G20 is the best Glock 10mm, especially as a Gen4. To me the G29 is too short and fat and the G40 is a bit too big. It's powerful enough, although as weird as it may sound, I'm not a huge 10mm fan. It's not the most powerful, that reward goes to the G21 shooting .45 Super or 460 Rowland, but it's a good option nonetheless.

There's a lot of bad info out there, the 10mm definitely isn't a .41 Mag or above, it's more akin to a .40 caliber version of the 357 Magnum. But frankly I think any person wanting to use 10mm for the woods would be just as well served with a .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

PatientWolf

When I was lookin at G20s, the # of magazines that came with the Gen4 more than offset the price difference vs the Gen 3 SF model and there is no Gen4 SF, simply leaving off the palm extensions gives you the SF dimensions.

Ruger45LC

jmr40 said:
I can buy 10mm ammo locally for the same price as 40 S&W ammo and cheaper than 45. In fact 40 S&W ammo will function just fine in a G20 or G29 with no modifications. Just load in the magazine and fire. I can tell no difference in accuracy nor POI. But since 10mm ammo is now the same price as 40 I see no advantage to doing so. But it is nice to know in case of an emergency.

The better loads will push a 200 gr hardcast bullet from a G20 at about 1300 fps. I get 1315 fps over my chronograph with DoubleTap ammo. A 41 or 357 mag will beat that with 8" test barrels, but when the magnum rounds are fired from 4" revolver barrels in the real world 10mm does beat 41 mag. and a 4" barreled revolver will be an inch longer and full pound heavier than the G20.

You must live in a special place, online the cheapest 10mm is about the same a 45 ACP and still more pricey than .40 S&W by about $3-4 per box, which is greater than the difference between 9mm and .40.

I too have ran 200gr hardcasts to the ~1300 fps range in a G20, but the same 200gr in the 1250 fps range in a Glock 35 .40. By comparison in a 4 5/8" .41 Mag Blackhawk you can run heavier bullets than 10mm can, and a 265gr cast will run a bit over 1400 fps from a that gun, which is well above 10mm, which means really the 10mm is closer to the .40 S&W, by a good bit and thusly why I say the .40 can do anything the 10mm can.

m&p45acp10+1

If you plan on shooting a whole lot then a conversion probably will not be needed. I have 4 guns in 10mm. All 4 will shoot .40 S&W just fine. I shoot the .40 stuff when I know I am not going to be able to recover the brass. Also in the even that 10mm can not be found in the store. .40 S&W usually can be found.

Also note I reload. To be able to get the potential that 10mm gives reloading makes whole lot of sense, as the rounds that give the full potential tend to be very expensive. (In the neighborhood of $.75 to $1.00 a round.) Reloaded with quality components using new brass you still beat that price.

Scorch

My advice would be to get out and handle one before you buy. As a full-sized pistol they can be a handful, so if you have smallish hands it might be uncomfortable to shoot. Other than that, the Glock 20 is a nice pistol.

bamaranger

cases

The OP states he does not reload, but somebody asked about the Glock chamber and bulged cases. My early G20 does not have a fully supported chamber and a HOT load will bulge a case.

I do not normally load to that level. Stupidly, I managed to bulge a handful of cases or so on one run of reloads, by switching primers with a load that was already max using a relatively fast powder. I should have reduced my charge and worked back up as all advice and precaution advises. I did not get through a full magazine before I realized something was up and ceased fire. Not every case from that episode displayed the bulge, but I ended up pulling that whole batch and recharging them lighter, and swore off that primer, and switched to a slower powder too.

The cases that were bulged, were scrapped.