Tell me about the 686 pro 4"

Schnitzjr

I'm thinking of selling my low mileage 686 plus snubbie that I really enjoy shooting because my local dealer put an 8 shot 4" 686 pro series in my hand, the one with the cool looking barrel. Man that thing feels good and the trigger, especially in DA feels really sweet. It's marked $899 plus tax. I'm not seeing this gun around. Is this a good price? Am I nuts? :D

J A

You are not nuts.

Those are sweet looking guns. Life is short. If you want the 8 shot pro series 686 don't hesitate. The snubby 686 you have now should be an easy sell. Snubbys seem to move faster than longer barrel guns.
I would guess the asking price to be near what a new one costs. I did not check around but a google search would be easy to find what one costs new.
If you buy it be sure to post pics and a review. :)

Nullcone

I have a 686 SSR 4", is that the one you're talking about?

Mine holds 6, to get 8 I believe you need to go up to an N frame 627.

I like the looks, action is really only so-so but I'm hoping it improves as it gets shot. The 3" M10 I picked up from Bud's a while back is noticeably better.

Mine was $729, but I had to add shipping and a transfer fee to that.

It's more accurate than I am (at least I haven't found anything that's inaccurate in it). It's diet so far has been mainly Blazer .357 158 JSP and S&B .38 148 HBWC as I've yet to get back into reloading.

hth

Schnitzjr

Yeah, I was a little confused because I wasn't seeing any info online about a 686 8 shot (Everything seems to be either a 6 shot or 7 shot) but this particular gun is indeed an 8 shot, 686 "Pro Series".

WIN1886

I own a S&W 627 Pro series with a 4" barrel and eight shot cylinder...I have heard of a 686 Plus version with a seven shot cylinder and the 686 SSR version with a six shot cylinder in the PRO Series ! The S&W website does not show an eight shot version of the 686 ! :confused:

Schnitzjr

Thanks for the info. Yes, it must be a 627 based on what I'm seeing. :eek:
So now I have to do more reading on the 627.
Anyone care to compare the 627 and 686? They felt identical to me in the hand.
Then again, S&W seems to have a knack for making revolvers that feel similar to each other.

bikerbill

I always open threads asking questions like this ... I've learned more reading them than poring over books and magazine stories, by far ... nice to be a part of such a knowledgeable group ...

savit260

Anyone care to compare the 627 and 686? They felt identical to me in the hand.

The 627 is bigger, wider, weighs a few ounces more and has two more shots than the 686.

I find the N frame has nice balance with a 5" barrel, and the L frame balances nice with a 4" barrel. May be different for you, but that's my observation.

Neither are hard to carry with an appropriate holster and belt, but the 686 would be a touch easier of the two.

Last edited:

WIN1886

I can't give you a comparison but I can tell you a little about my S&W 627 Pro Series ! First , it is the smoothest action and the easiest .357 magnum revolver to shoot DA style with accuracy that I have ever owned...it has a Wolff power rib mainspring ( bossed mainspring ) and not sure what else they do to the action ! The cylinder holes are chamfered and you can use moonclips ( it comes with three) if you like but it can be loaded and fired without as well ! The front sight or blade is easy to replace ( just push back and lift out ) and can even be done at the range.....no retaining pins or extra hand fitting to deal with for changing ! The rubber Hogue grips fit my hand well but I prefer wood and may replace at some point and I really like the duller matte finish of the 627 Pro ! This revolver really is a great shooter...I've been impressed how accurately I can shoot it even when comparing to my 6.5" and 6" barreled target style revolvers ! It does weigh near 41 ounces when empty but it feels nice in my hand and I can field carry it all day long ! I would like a lighter S&W model to accompany it someday....maybe a Model 60 Pro ! ;)