tell me about the .327 mag

headbangerJD

I am looking at buying a new revolver and just got done reading a wikipedia article on it. I've seen the .327 cartridge mentioned a few times but haven't found out too much about it. Please inform me about this cartride and guns that are chambered in it.

Qwiks draw

Here's the scoop on it.
In revolvers there is the .32 H&R magnum or the newer .327 Federal magnum. Less muzzle flash,recoil and shock wave than the .357 magnum. These are not better than the .357 magnum or the equal of the best .38 Specials ( there are some exceptions), but they beat .22lrf, .22 magnum, and the 25 ACP while providing a decent level of protection.
This tells of the .327 magnum:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=147.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4917.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3279.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3845.0

Also add:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=15127.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5795.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=29072.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=22509.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=20342.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=28558.msg331499#msg331499

There's a lot to like about this cartridge.

Qwiks draw

There are those of us who like the .32 calibers.

Need a fun cartridge or for practice? The .32 S&W Long or the .32 H&R magnum can fill the bill.

Need something for medium sized varmints? Both cartridges can do that,too.

Don't need a lot of muzzle flash and kick? With the 4 incher and longer barrels there will be little to worry about. Granted, Rugers are 3 inch only and the Charter Arms gun is a 4 incher, while the Taurus and others are snub guns.

Getting people into shooting for the first time or just having fun give these cartridges the edge over the .38s/.357s and on up. Little noise and muzzle flash.

Want something that hits harder and has a decent level of power without .357 magnum recoil, then a 115gr. Speer or the loads from Federal can get the job done. Granted, noise and muzzle flash will be there, but not as harsh as for the larger more powerful calibers. There are some exceptions.

There are those in the shooting fraternity and sorority that are recoil and noise shy. For them these cartridges are better for them in most cases over the .22lrfs,.25s, and even some .32 ACP loadings.

Even the .327 can be worked up to by the recoil and noise shy types. Not all,true.

Where does it say that only the .38 Special or .357 magnums and up are the only way to go?

Anyone in the shooting sports can shoot what caliber or gun they so choose and should not have to worry about others decrying their pick or criticizing such choices.

For example, I own many .38 Special/357 magnum revolvers. No problem. But the wife and daughter are a bit sensitive to .357 magnum level noise or .38 Special +P bark.

Since we need a house gun for them the .32s atrike a nice balance as something that they can use other than their .22lrf pistols or rifles for defense.

The same goes for going to the local range or club and having a nice family day out. Rest and relaxation. No need for the big boomers for that.

So while it is wise to realize the strengths and weaknesses of the .32s, they do have their place in the great scheme of things.

There are those of us who are reaching past middle age. For those of us who are the .32 calibers can be a nice alternative to the larger calibers if health or just getting older gets in the way. Nice to have these to shoot other than just .22lrf anything.

At the local indoor range for most of the fall and winter there are bullseye competitions. Revolvers as well as pistols, both rimfire and centerfire are used. .32s have been and still can be used for bullseye shooting with wadcutters. The .32 caliber guns were the yardstick at one time by which target guns were graded. That still means the .32s are great for that if one cannot shoot a .45 ACP.

For me .45ACP ammo is getting prohibitive. So there is an alternative.

For defense the Gold Dot Speer round churns up Velocity(in feet per second) Energy (in foot pounds)
Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards
1380 1240 1130 486 393

For Federal:

327 Federal Magnum Jacketed Soft Point
Products > Handgun Ammunition > 327 Federal Magnum Jacketed Soft Point

Jacketed Soft Point With American Eagle you get quality and affordability. Whether you are looking for contemporary calibers or a couple of classics, AE has what you're looking for. Enjoy the accuracy of AE Indoor Range Training (IRT) handgun loads and they'll make sure you're ready when game time comes.
Printer Friendly Printer Friendly

Load No

Caliber

Grains/ Grams

Bullet Style

Brand

Use
AE327

327 Federal Magnum

100 / 6.48

Jacketed Soft Point

American Eagle®

Self defense

Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)
Click to Enlarge Velocity Graph
Velocity
Load No

Caliber

Muzzle

25 Y

50 Y

75 Y

100 Y
AE327

327 Federal Magnum

Energy in Foot Pounds (To nearest 5 Foot Pounds)
Click to Enlarge Energy Graph
Energy
Load No

Caliber

Muzzle

25 Y

50 Y

75 Y

100 Y
AE327

327 Federal Magnum

That ain't to be taken lightly folks. That's from a 3 inch barrel for either brand.
Can you say Ruger SP101.? :rolleyes::D Thought so.

Those equal a number of 9mm. loads that are deadly and have very good actual real track records for stopping miscreants' attacks.

The .32s have versatility, less kick and noise, and if need be, a good level or power for defense purposes. Pick the proper ammo for the proper job and let it go at that.

Last edited:

Qwiks draw

If you don't like the .32s, that's fine. The other calibers are filling your needs. Fine. But our needs are being filled as well by the .32s.

I will still shoot my .357 magnums and larger caliber guns that I have for some time to come. The smaller calibers have their place,too.

Blondie.357

I'm not saying this is a girly round, but lots of women don't like to shoot or just plain can't handle .357 magnum out of small concealed type guns. It's not a .357 but its got quite a bit of punch for its size and is easier to handle.

Seems like a good compromise to me.

gak

If mentioned, I apologize for not seeing, but: really decent "pow" with 6 rounds in formats where the .38/.357 class is limited to 5. Same is true of its now smaller brother and predecessor the .32 H&R Mag, just to a lesser degree like all "specials" are to their magnum kin. Six shots out of a J or other small frame--especially snubs or other short-ish barrels--that'd beat you up in prolonged shooting even with standard .38s, not to mention +Ps. And, in SD situations, can you say "follow-up shot placement"? The .32 Mags are great!

oneounceload

but lots of women don't like to shoot or just plain can't handle .357 magnum out of small concealed type guns.

Most men don't either - 357 out of a snub is not something that should be repeated past the first time

L_Killkenny

Most people who diss the .32's have never shot them. Most of them also have a hard time believing what the numbers say they can do on paper.

Not much I can tell you about the .327. I don't have one but do have it's little brother the .32H&R. In factory loadings the .32H&R is fairly anemic. The factory stuff can not be loaded to the full potential due to the early H&R revolvers chambered in .32H&R but Ruger revolvers in .32H&R can be loaded beyond factory specs. The .327 was developed to rectify the issue and give us a true .32 mag. It's what the .32H&R could of been in the first place.

Everyone who shoots my .32 (loaded with my reloads) loves it. I'm not talkin kids and women although they do too. Big guys can have lots of fun with it too. Kinda sucks because I rarely come home with any ammo. Snubies hold six rounds compared to 5 of the WEAKER .38sp. Recoil is manageable but not non-existent.

The .32's are great rounds as anyone who has shot/owed them can attest. You won't see many used available. Why? Because no one want to sell em.

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

You know the rhetoric like 'girly' rounds, isn't impressive or make you a tough guy.

Also, generalizing about the supposed shooting inferiority of women on TFL as if you are a pro, doesn't impress either.

This is a hint - if one gets my drift.

GEM

Jim Downey

As I have said before, and elsewhere, I find it to be a very interesting cartridge. I hadn't thought much of it until we tested the round last spring, and with that I shot a Taurus. Now I'm just waiting for a rough & tumble J-frame to be available in it (not a Pro Comp model, that is).

Jim D.

CraigC

You know the rhetoric like 'girly' rounds, isn't impressive or make you a tough guy.
Agreed. There is a lot of macho rhetoric where shooting is involved. Physical strength has very little to do with handling recoil. Men typically have larger, tougher hands but 90% of recoil management (and shooting in general) is between the ears. Luckily, my ego has never been tied to my shooting and I can have just as much fun (if not more) shooting .22LR's and .32H&R's as I can .44Mag's and heavy .45Colts. Truth is, the .32H&R is a wonderful cartridge in its own right. It's plenty potent for varmints and small game but recoil is very light. It's a wonderfully destructive plinker as well. The .327 just gives us more of a good thing. It's what the H&R should've been. I'm just waiting on Ruger to offer it in the Single Six.

Glenn E. Meyer

I've a 432 but I'd be interested in a 327 snubby platform. I wonder if you could make a 7 shot J frame or LCR?

That would be a fun snubby and nice pocket gun.

CraigC

I don't think you'll get seven shots out of anything smaller than an L-frame. It 'might' work in a K-frame. The cartridge is a little smaller than a .357 but you have to bear in mind that pressures are 45,000psi.

carguychris

I don't think you'll get seven shots out of anything smaller than an L-frame. It 'might' work in a K-frame.
The K frame was originally designed to accomodate 7 shots in .32 Long, but S&W never produced this configuration because 6 shots of .38Spl was seen as potentially more lucrative from a sales standpoint (which was probably correct; the later .32 M&P sold extremely poorly, albeit in a 6-shot configuration, but I doubt an additional round would have made much difference).

From a standpoint of cylinder diameter, it will work, but the problem is whether the cylinder will withstand 45k psi of peak pressure. Unlike .357Mag, it shouldn't pose as much of a risk to the forcing cone because barrel shank will be thicker due to the smaller caliber.

I sure hope it will work because I want my "616" 7-shot 4" .327Mag K frame. :)
I wonder if you could make a 7 shot J frame or LCR?
6 yes, 7 no. The cylinder is too small in diameter.
I'm just waiting on Ruger to offer it in the Single Six.
I say this in every thread about the .327Mag, and I'll say it again.

In order for the caliber to take off, we need:
  1. A full-size double-action revolver (S&W "616"?)
  2. A single-action revolver (Ruger "Single Six Plus"?)
  3. A lever rifle

L_Killkenny

I'm just waiting on Ruger to offer it in the Single Six.

I was at the gunshop awhile back and we pulled a box of .327's off the shelf and checked their length vs. a Single Six. The .327 was to long :mad:.

LK

gak

QUOTE:
I was at the gunshop awhile back and we pulled a box of .327's off the shelf and checked their length vs. a Single Six. The .327 was to long . LK

------
True, the cylinder is too short, and therefore "just" reaming it out for the .327 won't work...or else local smiths would be busy doing just that for a relatively "cheap n easy" conversion.. Ah, but the window is large enough--apparently without modification (of the frame)--for a new cylinder sized to .327 (that will also shoot the other .32s). The cyl/barrel gap may need to be "adjusted" in the process, but Bowen, Clements, et al., are very popular for this conversion. So, for Ruger, it is entirely do-able...with a new cylinder and appropriate attention paid to the barrel/cylinder relationship, etc. Brand new cylinders and related precision work by custom shops can be fairly pricey, however...thus the clamoring for Ruger to step in and do the right thing.

Last edited:

Hammer It

Hello
I have always liked the .32 round in any S&W revolver. Accuracy is key with me and the .32 round is a Natural for it no matter what round you chose be it .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum or the new Federal .327 Magnum

I recently had my S&W Model 16-4 revolver chambered in .32 H&R magnum converted to the new Federal .327 Magnum Round. Hamilton Bowen from Friendsville, Tennessee who owns Bowen's Arms did the Job for me.

He Takes the existing .32 H&R Magnum cylinder and extends the cylinder throats another 1/8" to allow the Federal .327 magnum round to be fired. It is very reasonable at only $95.00 to do the Job and the results are fantastic.

One problem I had when I got the gun back was there was No factory ammo available for it. With Federal being the sole Manufacturer of it, you have to wait them out to get any factory loaded ammo in your Hand.

I chose to hand load some for my revolver and reached out to a friend for some once fired Brass. I found that this round Likes to be Pushed hard. It responds well and it seems the harder you Push it, the better it groups.

My current favorite load consists of 10.2 Grains of Accurate Arm's Powder on top of a CCI 550 Magnum small Pistol primer with a 90 Grain Sierra Hollow Point copper Jacketed bullet capping it off. I have found that this round is very crimp sensitive, so make certain all your cases are trimmed to equal length or Poor accuracy and case collapse while crimping will be the result.

If you re-load for it, Start out Lower than what I used to see how well your gun reacts and to be safe. I was able to obtain a One Hole Ragged group with the Load mentioned, from a sand Bag rest at 15 Yards and the Primers appeared to be heavily flattened, Yet extraction of the spent rounds was easy. I did have some Case splits and I suspect it was caused by shoddy brass rather than High pressures. Be careful loading it, this round is at most times Double the Pressure of the former .32 H&R Magnum.

I have found this round to be very Potent and super accurate which is why I Like the .32 rounds. I took my Bowen converted S&W revolver Deer hunting with me this year in anticipation of a Possible Deer kill with it. Instead of a Deer Kill I was given a chance to take a Large Wild Cat with it, {See The Scale Picture Below where he weighed 41 Pounds Dressed Out}. It had to be over a 50 Pound Cat beofre I dressed it out.

On Opening Morning I saw no Deer yet there was Plenty of sign that they had been there. At 7:55 a Wild Cat was coming my way as I saw him approaching me I raised my S&W and took aim. When I cocked it, he heard the noise of my action cycle and stopped. He then went into Stalk Mode and Hissed and Growled at me. He was a little farther out than I really wanted him to be, but I felt the distance between us was safer, so I squeezed off the shot and it Piled him up instantly.

My slug entered his front chest cavity and exited his right rib cage. He dropped Kicked about twice and died at once. Upon dressing the animal I notice that my Bullet tore through his Heart and right lung before exiting. The Federal .327 magnum did just what I thought it would and the shot was a true 35 Yards with Zero Bullet drop. It hit right where I held.

In conclusion, This is the Hottest .32 caliber handgun round I have ever fired and also one of the Most accurate. I am Hoping the caliber catch's on better than it's weaker brother the .32 H&R Magnum did as this one really shines. I have much larger center fire caliber choices all the way up to the .44 Magnum, but I felt this one would more than do the Job and that it did. Below is the fruit of the Labor of the new Federal .327 magnum round and I know it is now one of my Favorites...Hammer It

Kitty-Kitty_001.jpg

Kitty-Kitty_0021.jpg

Kitty-Kitty_002.jpg

Last edited: