Tell me about the .300 Whisper

Bigfatts

So I help out part time at a little gunshop once a week and work for store credit. I was reorganizing his ammo shelves and came accross a couple boxes of Corbon .300 Whisper. I got to looking at it and wondering about it and now I can't stop. I usually let my wife use my Mini 14 for hunting because she never really wants to take the shot, more or less just wants to have a gun of her own when she's hunting with me. I, on the other hand, would like her to have something more potent and capable of taking a hog or deer.

So I got the idea in my head of building her a rifle in this .300 Whisper. Looks like it would be about as potent as a .30-30 and supposed to be pretty mild with recoil, real important. Can't find much info on it though. The only things I've seen chambered in it is a couple Encores and a custom Remington 700. I would probably start with a Savage or Mini Mauser action since I can use a standard .223 sized bolt face. I think finding the bbl would be the hard part. Of course if it comes down to it I could always get a blank and go from there.

So who out there has a .300 Whisper? How do you like it?

How heavy were the bullets on the factory ammo :confused:

I've always wanted one, but my understanding on the cartridge is its a very low powered, ( reads efficient ), subsonic cartridge with very heavy bullets, & the rifling to stabilize these heavy bullets with great ballistic coefficients... I thought it was originally built for the military, by ( I think ) SSK, who builds lots of Contender barrels & cartridges...

... I've never seen one fired, but look forward to a response by someone who owns or has shot one...

Bigfatts

These were 150gr loads. The box says they move 2000fps. It is supposed to be a great cartridge for use with a supressor and subsonic loads, but it also packs a little punch when loaded hotter. Somebody out there has to have one...