Tell me about S&W metal frame autos

Willie D

I've always thought of them as "cop guns" and for a while was under the impression they were all DAO. I keep seeing them used now and think they are quite handsome. Are some DA/SA? How do they compare to other popular guns in the same class/price? Good triggers? Reliability? Are any particular model numbers desirable?

dwatts47

Well. Though I don't carry one personally, My wife does.

She shoots the stainless double action only 9mm model 5943. The model number in this case tells you everything that I just described about it.

Its heavy enough to disapate harsh recoil from +p+ defense ammo ( my wife is a 5'00" tall, 102lb 26 year old with TINY hands) She says that it does not feel as harsh as some of my other guns.

So far she's had it around a year, no malfunctions, good trigger, 2 levers on it for simplicity (slide stop, mag release). It fits her hand well and it's accurate.

I used it in 1 IDPA match and I liked it, but not as much as my Glocks or sigs.

All in all, I think its a great gun. I could buy any gun she wanted/liked and we got this one for like $275 w/ 3 factory mags and night sights. For the price I thinks its better than the ruger autos and shoots better for her too.

And yes the 5906 models and several others are Da/Sa and the few that I've shot have great triggers.

18DAI

I've used S&W 2nd and 3rd generation semi auto's, for the past 20 years.

I've yet to have a bad one. They are well built (some models in 45, could be described as tank like) reliable, accurate, and I find some of the models, such as the 4506, 4516, and 3913 aesthetically pleasing too.

Because they are bad mouthed so often on the internet (IMHO by people who probably haven't shot one, much less owned one) they are very under valued, and most models can be found for cheap. Police trade in 3rd generation S&W metal framed pistols, are a best buy, IMHO of course. Where else can you find a compact single stack 45, with ambi safety, and three mags, NS, for under $400 ?

Some models are DAO, the 4586, 4553, 3953, and 4053 come to mind. There are also many TDA models available in all calibers.

Two of my favorite S&W metal framed pistols are the 3913, a compact, TDA single stack, aluminum framed 9mm, and the 4516-3, a compact TDA single stack 45, of all SS construction. Both of these pistols have been reliable and accurate for me. I stake my life on the 3913 daily, thats about as much praise as I can give any handgun.

I'm not a S&W fanboy, and have no use for the M&P pistol. In fact, personally, I think the current company calling itself S&W sucks, but I will continue to buy all the nice 3rd generation metal framed S&W pistols I can find, if that tells you anything. Good luck with your decision, hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.

Spenser

I love the third gens. I'm a big fan of the Chief's Special CS45, as well as the 4513T and 3913T. Not a single problem with any of them.

SW40F

The 9mm Model 5906 seems to be the most desirable of the bunch - TDA (DA/SA) trigger, short trigger reset, decock/safety, high-capacity magazine.

scorpiusdeus

I used to own a S&W 4516. I really regret selling it. It was a sweet little weapon. I'd like to replace it with a similar model, but in .40 S&W.

StrawDog

I guess the first generation had some issues. But the subsequent guns are built like tanks. Evidently, not very popular, these are undervalued - or in other words a good value - even the high end target models are a very good quality and value. The 41 my dad gave me 30+ years ago continues to shoot well. A couple of years ago I picked up a 952 which is great. Accurate, great trigger and good grip. These are some of my favorites.

The only negative item is the location of the safety (IMHO). Works better on the frame than the slide.

StrawDog

I guess the first generation had some issues. But the subsequent guns are built like tanks. Evidently, not very popular, these are undervalued - or in other words a good value - even the high end target models are a very good quality and value. The 41 my dad gave me 30+ years ago continues to shoot well. A couple of years ago I picked up a 952 which is great. Accurate, great trigger and good grip. These are some of my favorites.

The only negative item is the location of the safety (IMHO). Works better on the frame than the slide.

darko

I had a 4566. Bought it new back in the early 90's and carried it through the first several years of my LE days. It was tough, reliable, and one heck of a nice pistol. I went to a gun show one year and got the fever for a new pistol, (can't even remember what it was) and the 4566 was one of the only things I had at the time that I could trade. So off it went. I've bought and traded many guns over the years and there are a few that I regret and vow to buy again. That 4566 was one of them. For some reason these guns don't do very well in trade or resale. I took a pretty good hit when I traded it and most of the dealers didn't even have any interest. The good thing is that I should be able to pick up a replacement fairly cheaply. The last time I went to the gunshow they had one with NS for just under $400. If I had the funds at the time I would have bought it.

oldandslow

Willie D 3/26/08

As has been mentioned above the 3rd generation SW metal framed pistols are accurate, reliable, simple to operate and can be had for a great price. I have five, three in 9mm (3913, 6906, 5906) and two in 45 (4516-1, 4566tsw).
I like the aluminum framed ones for carry (3913, 6906) and the 4566tsw does daily duty as a house gun. Simply put- they are a great pistol, you won't be disappointed if you buy one.

best wishes- oldandslow

El Paso Joe

I have had two 39's, two 59's, and a 639. Loved them all. Not target grade trigger pulls but good in the field. I can usually cover all (50+) shots with the palm of my hand at 25'. That is more than good for a field grade (day to day carry) gun. But the guns are great.

Icopy1

I have had a 4566 and a 4006. I still have a 4506. All have been 100% reliable and very accurate. I like to carry my 4506 hammer down and off safe because I have a hard time reaching the safety with my thumb. Being all steel guns, they soak up the recoil of even the harshest loads.

squarepeg

Good to this kind of response. I did a quick search of the same thing over the weekend and found simmilar responses. There were a few who say that S&W is a revolver company and their autos suck, but they also said that they had never shot a S&W auto. I just picked up a used 3914 Monday and cleaned it last night. I like the way it feels and am anxious to get to the range soon to try it out. Good price, good looks.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
S&W Metal Frame Semi-Auto's

YES, it was originally designed as a "COP GUN" as you say; but saw
some use in Viet-Nam as "the hush puppy"~! ;) I'm speaking of the S&W
original model 39 (all steel), and the 39-2 (aluminum alloy frame). I
own one of the 39-2's now, and have owned many more over the
years; without ever having issues with any of 'em. ;) :D

MWM

I believe we do not see many for sale, relative to other types, because they are, by and large, great pistols. Folks who are hip to their quality tend to hang on to them. Very few are lemons and they are built in a robust fashion that is meant to last. I finally found the 1006 I was lusting for at a good price and it handles the stout Double Tap 180 gr. 10mm with no failures and no apparent wear. It's fun to shoot and folks are always curious about it at the range. It is a massive load to carry, but you will always have "enough gun" for anything that walks on it's hind legs shy of grizzly.
MWM

Attachments

• 1006_8041.jpg
    1006_8041.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 54

JN01

Two of my favorite S&W metal framed pistols are the 3913, a compact, TDA single stack, aluminum framed 9mm, and the 4516-3, a compact TDA single stack 45, of all SS construction.

I also HAD (Doh!) both. I need to find another 3913, a true American classic.

Since the bore axis on the TDA autos is a little higher than many of the current popular carry guns, recoil feels a little different on them. I always found the DA pull to be decent, and a good SA pull with a short reset.

kymasabe

I had a S&W 6904 9mm that was a GREAT gun, sorry I got rid of it. Was way better than the CZ Rami-P that I sold to buy it. I'd highly recommend one to anyone.
The only gun that was more comfortable to shoot and more accurate was my SIG P226.

Webleymkv

I have a 1076 and I'm quite happy with it. It is a bit on the heavy side but that makes recoil quite manageable. Double Tap 180grn 10mm from this pistol feels about like 230grn .45 hardball from my 1911 (also a S&W).

ShelbyV8

I traded a 70 Series Gold Cup for S&W 645 in the 80'S and still feel that I got the best end of the deal. The 645 was more accurate, more reliable, and much safer for duty carry. I own 8 S&W autos and have carried and and shot them for over 20 years. I have not had a single malfunction, not a mag problem, not a ammo problem.

Rounder

I love my 3913. I have 1 S&W clip and one with a ram's head logo. Each works well. No FTF or FTE so far with any factory or reload cast WW's as long as it doesn't get too dirty. While I'm here,,, how does one tell the diff between S&W generations? TIA
Zig