Tell me about Howa Ranch Rifles

10Ringmagic

I am considering buying a new Howa Ranch Rifle in .308, 20" barrel. It weighs 7.16 pounds w/no scope, I have an older Nikon scope that I will install.

Anybody have any experience with this model or brand?

DPris

Member Emeritus
I have the Weatherby Vanguard .308 carbine with synthetic stock & 20-inch barrel. I chose it deliberately for what it is & what it offers as a general purpose boltgun.
I prefer a controlled feed on a gun used for dangerous critter defense, but that's not what this one will be used for.

Howa has made these guns under their own name & others for quite a while.
Actions are strong, barrels are usually good, quality is very good.
Howa bolt-actions are great values.

Denis

Bird Dog

I have a Howa 1500 20" .308 and just love it. The Hogue stocks are awesome. They are great to handle and really absorb recoil. It shoots very well with a decent trigger right out of the box. I LOVE mine and I am a man who owns several Model 70s, a nice Ruger, and a couple Savages and TCs. My Howa is as nice as any of them. Once you go to a Hogue overmolded stock, you wont want to go back.

jmr40

I like Howa rifles. But the Ranch rifle makes no sense to me. If you are looking for a lightweight rifle, keep looking. The Howa/Vanguard is the heaviest action money can buy. The Hogue stocks are the heaviest stocks money can buy. Put the 2 together and even with a 20 barrel you still have a heavy gun.

The Marlin XS-7, Stevens 200, and Tikka are in the same price range, or less, and will weigh less with a scope and mounts than the Howa without scope.

Don't get me wrong I like the Howa, but it is best in a full size rifle where weight is of no concern. The I have one in 7mm Rem mag that shoots great, but the factory stock is destined for the trash can as soon as I get a McMillan on it.

DPris

Member Emeritus
If you want a good lightweight .308 for deer hunting, you might consider the Vanguard version with its synthetic stock.
My 20-incher's good for about 1.5 inches at 100 with ammo it likes & the package is lighter than a comparable wood or Hogue stock.
Denis

Bird Dog

My 20" Howa is not as light as some cheap plastic stock options out there, but it is not THAT heavy. It feels great in your hands and is a solid platform for the action. I would not back away from it based on a little extra weight. I have a couple ultralight synthentics (Savages) and I like carrying and shooting the Hogue more.

JerryM

I do not consider a rifle over 7 pounds without scope light. I would keep looking. By the time you get a scope, mounts, sling, and a loaded magazine I suspect it would crowd 8.25 lbs.
Sure you can carry it, but it is not light.

Regards,
Jerry