Tell me about holsters

Wayward_Son

I'll be taking my CHL class soon and should have my license a few months after that. I'm still trying to figure out my method of carry.

I'm 5'9" and about 155 lbs soaking wet. I live in a very warm, humid climate. My summer attire (which I wear for a good seven months of the year) consists of shorts and either a t-shirt or a Hawaiian button-up shirt or something similar.

I am considering either IWB or OWB. For IWB I imagine I'd have to buy a new lines of pants and shorts to accommodate the gun and holster, and I have a hard enough time finding pants and shorts that fit me the way I like as it is. If I simply buy a larger waste size than the pants/shorts end up being for too baggy in the butt and crotch area. I'm a skinny guy. Ideally I'd have all my clothes tailored for me but that's just not realistic.

For OWB I'm concerned about printing under a t-shirt. I've read that a good gun belt and holster are paramount, but that presents another problem (which would probably also be a problem for IWB): If I have to go buy a sturdy dedicated gun belt to keep the gun upright and hidden, would the belt be too wide to fit through the belt loops on my existing Levis and Dockers and Dickies? I don't want to get a belt that is too flimsy that lets the grip of the gun lean out and print.

What about shoulder rigs? These seem like a great idea but how well do they conceal on somebody my size? Do they work with a t-shirt or are they really only suited for button-up dress styles? And what do you do when you have to draw? Do you reach up under your shirt tail to get at your pistol or do you just rip apart your shirt Incredible Hulk style and then grab your heater? It seems that access to the gun would be hampered and that extra time to get to the gun could be the difference between life and death.

Ankle wear won't work for me for the majority of the year (shorts and flip-flops) and I've read enough hear that I'm convinced it is not a wise carry choice even with jeans and sneakers.

Pocket carry won't work for me most of the time due to the guns I'd like to carry: 3" SP101 or something of similar size/heft like a Sig 229, HK P7 or a 4" 1911. Perhaps a 3" K-frame Smith like a M65 or M66. I do have a S&W 637 that I could keep in a pocket but I'd prefer to carry something else if I could. Not that the 637 won't get carry duty, but it's not my first choice at this point.

What advice can you folks give me regarding various carrying styles and the pros and cons of each?

azredhawk44

IWB works best for me with the holsters that have 2 belt clips, spaced a couple inches away from the fat part of the revolver.

Holsters with a single clip over the top of the cylinder tend to print.

I carry a 3" SP101 in a CompTac C-TAC holster about 75% of the time, and a J-frame in a pocket holster about 25% of the time.

Considering a 4" 1911 w/ aluminum frame in the future. Will get another CTAC for it. Very happy with that holster.

I haven't had to change my clothes at all. Just adjust how I tighten my belt a bit. I put the holster on the belt empty, get the belt comfortable, then put the gun in.

Bad part about IWB and a gun over ~25 ounces: Going to the bathroom in a public place. I go in a stall, draw the SP, stick it in a front pocket and take care of business. I find the gun too heavy to live in holster when belt/fly is undone.

Maybe too much information, but hey - this is CCW life.;)

Majic

For conceal carry forget tight clothes. A good gunbelt is paramount as the belt, holster, and gun is a system. For a system to work right then all the components must do their job. The belts come in all widths from dress belts to work belts. Shoulder rigs require shirts that open in the front if a jacket is not worn. You leave a button undone for access to the handgun. Loose shirts are preferred no matter the holster style to keep down the possibility of printing.
It's all a compromise considering your body build, handgun size, and it's weight. Remember you now must dress around the gun. How you dress, how well your system works, and paying attention to your body movements (you squat instead of bending and reaching up high you use the hand opposite of the holster) all leads to how well you will conceal the gun

CortJestir

If I have to go buy a sturdy dedicated gun belt to keep the gun upright and hidden, would the belt be too wide to fit through the belt loops on my existing Levis and Dockers and Dickies?

I'd recommend a dual-layer 1.25" or 1.5" gun belt. I wear jeans most of the time and slacks or Dockers khakis for work so a 1.25" dress belt does the job. In basic black it's both casual and dressy. Dual-layer adds that stiffness you need to carry a few pounds on your pants without sagging or flopping around. Check belts by The Beltman (Link) Great quality, fit and finish to his work. Only problem is the long wait (about 30 days), but these are custom made for you. If you do go this route, be sure to carefully follow his measuring guide.

Van55

You'll have to experiment some to find what suits you.

Some people swear by the Smart Carry or Thunderwear solution. For me, they're uncomfortable and access is to difficult. YMMV.

I prefer OWB holsters for comfort and access as well as pants fitting issues such as OP describes. Since that's not feasible for me (mostly) in the hot months pocket carry. LCP is perfect in a pocket as I practically forget it's there. I also have carried my S&W 60 snubby in my pocket. It's just a little bulkier than I like, but it's easily manageable. And it's almost as heavy as the Ruger SP101.

dabigguns357

Here is my favorite site to look at when not looking at the gun sites,it's www.packinheatleather.com. They have everything you will need and want,well almost.But here is how i carry for summer with a snubbie.

Picture.jpg

Last edited:

KyJim

First, I would spend just a few bucks and buy a pocket holster for your 637. I would suggest The Nemesis from DeSantis for a cost effective holster that works. You can pocket carry if you have a specific set of clothes that won't work with a belt holster; e.g., elastic waste shorts. http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html

A heavy duty belt is very important for a belt holster. I purchased a 1.5 inch belt form D.M. Bullard recently that is fine for jeans and casual pants, but not dress pants. Again, a belt that works at a reasonable price. It shipped almost immediately. I've not had any trouble with it fitting my belt loops in jeans or casual pants. http://estore.websitepros.com/1565531/Categories.bok?category=Belts

You should be able to use an IWB holster with your shorts. A thinner gun like a 1911 is much easier concealed than a thicker gun with a shorter barrel and should work with your current clothing. A K-frame might be stretching things a bit.

Finally, a short barreled gun like your 637 can be carried OWB with shirt untucked provided the shirt tail is long enough. I carried one today in a pancake style holster many manufacturers make. The pancake style really flattens out the profile of the gun.

RPSmith

You have stated that pocket carry is not an option due to your choice in pieces, but...

have you considered a light J frame Smith?

I carry a 642 and barely notice it.

They are much lighter than an SP101 or a K frame. Grant it, I don't wear Hawaiian shorts in my daily routine, but I do wear shorts. Thinner fabrics print easier but colorful, busy fabrics break up an outline.

I have never felt at a disadvantage carrying a 158gr. SJHP .38 load.

Something to consider.

Nnobby45

If I have to go buy a sturdy dedicated gun belt to keep the gun upright and hidden, would the belt be too wide to fit through the belt loops on my existing Levis and Dockers and Dickies? I don't want to get a belt that is too flimsy that lets the grip of the gun lean out and

No, a 1.5" belt will fit. Make sure it's a GUN belt---that means thick. With a good ISP (IWP), you can carry any gun you wish. I simply use a light vest in warm weather.

I'll let others expand on the virtues of fanny packs, shoulder holsters, Thunderwear, etc., etc. I use one method plus a BUG in my vest pocket (made for that purpose).

I have a left-hand holster ordered from Milt Sparks that will enable me to wear a light shirt, covered by a Safari Shirt type arrangement so I'll have my back up 642 with quick L handed access just to rear of mag. pouch for primary gun. Similar to dabigguns357, only without that gawdawful thumbsnap.

Now, stay tuned for a whole bunch of other opinions for type of holster, method of carry, etc.

Caution: been more than one person experimenting with different methods of carry who, in a time of crisis, reached for their gun where it used to be, rather than than where it was. I think carrying a gun here in the summer, there in the winter, some place else when the mood strikes, and so on, is a recipe for disaster under stress.:cool:

JohnKSa

Administrator
The paradox of buying holsters is that in general unless you spend more money than you think is reasonable when purchasing a carry holster you will spend more money than is reasonable buying carry holsters until you get one that really works.

There are some exceptions, but I think it's a good general rule.

azredhawk44

The paradox of buying holsters is that in general unless you spend more money than you think is reasonable when purchasing a carry holster you will spend more money than is reasonable buying carry holsters until you get one that really works.

There is much wisdom here.:eek:

Dwight55

Wayward, . . .

IWB: as stated earlier, you need a gun belt, . . . not just a thick belt, . . . but one that is two layers thick, preferably stitched together. Mine goes out on the John Deere when mowing, . . . and went to my only son's wedding. A good one can do that. As stated, . . . for IWB, get a holster with snaps or hooks away from the weapon for less printing.

OWB: there are some good OWB holsters out there, . . . but they print less usually for me with a 1911 than a revolver. An OWB also will force you to give up bending over, . . . the handle sticks right up through the shirt when you do. On the other hand though, . . . if you carry just behind the hip point, . . . 3:30 or 8:30, . . . OWB is incapable of seeing by someone directly in front of you, . . .

SHOULDER HOLSTER: my favorite carry, also take two 8 rd mags for my 1911 with it, . . . 1911 is a full size steel RIA, . . . is most comfortable in a SH rig. I wear snap front short sleeve western style shirts mostly, . . . but others also, and they tuck in (I don't like the untucked look, . . . on me it looks just plain sloppy), . . . and I have also practiced the "fake heart attack" deal as a ruse toward unholstering should I need it. If I don't do the fake, . . . my practice is to pull the front of the shirt apart, . . . buttons or snaps, . . . turning my left shoulder to the bg, . . . then unholstering. Yes, . . . I sometimes wear it between two tee shirts also, leaving the outside one untucked.

Avoid satin shirts, thin or white tee shirts, . . . also white or light colored shirts in general seem to print more easily. Your Hawaiian shirts should do you well, . . . with just about any carry.

JohnKSa and az also gave you some excellent advice. I don't have that problem as I make all of mine. Attached is a picture of a new one I just finished that is an IWB tuckable, IWB, and OWB combination holster.

May God bless,
Dwight

Attachments

• new_cactus 45acp.jpg
    new_cactus 45acp.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 42

Kreyzhorse

John pretty much nailed this one. Regardless of what you choose, don't cheap out. Get a good quaility leather holster. Me, I prefer OWB but occasionally carry IWB. It really is a personal preference on what works for you. Keep in mind that no matter what method you choose, you'll always have to dress around your gun. I'd also count on trying a couple of methods before you find one you really like. I started IWB and eventually moved to OWB because I find that it works better for me. Either way, start right by buying a good leather holster.

Joat

WS,

Welcome to Concealed Carry in South Texas.

I use several different types of carry depending on mode of dress.

IWB for the govt model, HKP7, Glock 23 in Versa max 2 holsters, covered with an untucked heavy weight t-shirt. An observant person will see that I have something there, but in the age of multiple cell phones, pdas, ipods, etc. it very rarely gets a second (or first) look.
Pros: when you find the holster belt combo that works for YOU, and remember to buy clothes that are sized for the extra girth the gun/holster puts between you and your waistband, it is comfortable, unobtrusive, secure and has repeatable positioning.
Cons: Buying pants one or two sizes larger than you normally wear. Untucked shirt unless you go with a tuckable holster. If you sit for long periods of time gun butt can dig into you side in some positions. Hard to access when sitting or in a car. Also having the gun in contact with sweaty body part can cause finish problems if you do not clean your HG religiously. As AZRH wrote there is the issue of public restrooms, if you drop trou to do your business, the gun can rotate around the belt hitting the bowl, possibly falling out of the holster, or being visible under the partition to people on either side.

I also use an OWB holster to carry. Pros are that you don't have to buy different sized clothes, the gun is positionable for your comfort and you can carry just about any sized gun. Cons are the need for a cover garment and with our heat and humidity, unless you are a 50 year old shriner, you look funny wearing a vest in the summertime. Easier to "flash" the gun if your cover garment is displaced or you reach up or away. The restroom issue.

I use a fanny pack a lot in Houston. It is recognizable as a carry system, but not as bad as some would have you believe. Those in the know will spot it, sometimes. But, those same people will give a bulge under a shirt a second look as well. Pros: Can carry a larger firearm comfortably. Can be removed and left in the car discreetly if having to enter a 30.06 posted location. If you are in the Corpus or other tourist area, every third person is wearing one so you won't stand out. Relatively easy access while sitting, standing or riding in a car. Good retention if you get one designed for concealed carry, meaning that it has the holster built in and the buckles on the waist strap are positioned so that you can undo them but someone else can't. No restroom issue. Cons: You look like a tourist:D. It is easy to forget that that its first purpose is to carry a gun and overload the other pockets with junk (the "bigger purse" syndrome, you married guys know of what I speak).

Pocket carry is an option that I also use for my keltec. Pros are that it disappears in the pocket and is always positioned the same in the pocket holster. Cons are that it is a slow draw even while standing sitting it is almost impossible:p. The size of gun that can be carried is limited, and DON'T carry anything else in that same pocket.

Shoulder holsters are not an option for me based on body mechanics and size. So I have no opinion.

If you will not change your clothing styles to accommodate the gun you carry, you need to change the gun to accommodate the clothing style.

My opinions are my own, and may be different from yours, or others. I have carried concealed in South Texas legally since 1996 and that is the basis for my opinions.

Joat

flyby

JohnKSa said:
There are some exceptions, but I think it's a good general rule.
a Big +1 ..unfortunately I to had to learn this rule the hard way :D

OP:Get a good belt and an MTAC and call it a day ;)
jmho :) ..also the base holster-panel can be used for various gun models(just buy the kydex shells of the guns you carry..not sure about the revolvers though) but otherwise is cheaper in the long run... http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

azredhawk44

OP:Get a good belt and an MTAC and call it a day
jmho ..also the base holster-panel can be used for various gun models(just buy the kydex shells of the guns you carry..not sure about the revolvers though) but otherwise is cheaper in the long run...

MTAC only works for autos. For revolvers, you want the CTAC.

Japle

I’m almost exactly your size and I live in central Florida. Like you, my usual attire is a pair of cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirts. I wear the shirt unbuttoned with a sleveless T-shirt under it. I’ve been carrying for over 20 years.

When you first start carrying a gun, you feel like there’s a big Neon sign over your head that screams, “GUN!!” with an arrow pointing straight at you. You worry that people will notice the slightest bulge and freak out. You imagine panicked crowds running away.
That’s natural, but not realistic.

The fact is, no one is looking at you. People are so wrapped up in their own lives that they couldn’t care less about you. They aren’t looking for guns. It never occurs to them that someone might be packing.

New CCW folks often spend lots of time selecting their holsters in an attempt to reduce printing to zero. It’s a waste of time and effort. A couple of years ago, I carried a 4” M-29 in an OWB holster for a couple of weeks just for fun. The thing stuck out a mile. It felt like I had half a steel grapefruit stuck to my side. No one noticed a thing.

Printing is a non-issue unless you’re wearing a tight T-shirt or something equally dumb. You can wear nearly anything under a Hawaiian shirt. Don’t waste your money on a new wardrobe just so you can carry IWB.

Shoulder holsters are terrible in hot weather. They don’t allow any air to circulate, you get sweaty, the holster and rig absorb the sweat and pretty soon you smell bad.

After much experimentation (you should see my holster-reject boxes) I’ve settled on an injection molded (Kydex) Blade-Tech paddle holster. It’s very light, very fast, not very stealthy and very comfortable. On the other side, I have a Fobus paddle that holds a spare mag and a flashlight.

BTW, I also carry a P3AT in a pocket holster on the opposite side from the Glock.

Carryguns.jpg