Tell me a lil bout CCI Stingers?

tAKticool

Hi all,

I am a huge CCI Fan and I try to stock (and shoot of course ) all their ammos, and their ammos the most out of other brands. You know I shop at Walmart as much as the next guy and of course buy whatever special deals I can get, and of course I take the 525 rd. Federal value packs of bulk hollow points all the time, you can get e'm as low as liuke $15 all the way to $23... And other brands too. Federal AutoMatch is a great lil mini-value/mini-performance 325 rd box... But anyway CCI is my favorite.

I buy boxes of 500 Blazers, and 500 rounds of CCI 'Standard Velocity' and I relish the shooting and stocking for SHTF of both. But of course I absolutely love Mini Mags and would shoot them and stock them exclusively if possible. The 36 gr Hollow points or 40 gr Round nose, no problems. I get them for $6.47 per 100 rds at Walmart and I love them.

But last nite I was getting a Vacuum and I wanted to buy a box or two of ammo. I decided to try these "Stingers" cause they looked good and Ive not had them before. they looked same prie etc.

Well when we left Walmart and stopped for dinner I noticed , these were boxes of *50* for $6.47 instead of the same price, box of 100 mini mags. Also they looked, almost silver-ish case insread of 'brass' and the round 'tops" had like a soft melted coating. It was wierd.

So I realixed they were REAL Expensive, like double minimags...what's their deal, they are super high qual? What are they used for /wahts the claim to fame? Thanks much for the help!

-tAK

L_Killkenny

Well to be blunt they pretty well suck. First off, to get the velocity up they did 2 things. They lightened it up which hurts accuracy in most .22 firearms and they lengthened the case which makes it so they can't be run in match chambers. Also their construction is such to get minimal penetration and a decent blow up factor on smaller critters. So here you have a round that is pretty darn good on critters like prairie dogs and a fairly flat trajectory but shoots like ass in most guns.

To shorten it up: good terminal performance on small critters but you can't hit em without a lot of luck.

Plus on critter the size of ground hogs on up the Velocitor packs more punch and is usually much more accurate.

LK

mikejonestkd

A big 'ole plus 1 for L_Killkenny's post. They have impressive ballistics on paper, but seldom deliver the goods at longer ranges, and blow up too quickly in groundhogs. I have not found a rifle that likes them better than regular ammo.

BTW, glad to hear that you like CCI ammo, and just for your info - Federal is the same company as CCI...so you are not really cheating on CCI when you buy fed bulk packs at walmart.

Bamashooter

I have always had good results with stingers in the accuracy dept. Never had a dud or stinger related malfunction. I do like the velositor better but I dont have a problem with the stingers.

scottycoyote

kind of like most rounds, some guns like them and some dont. They are probably one of the highest velocity 22 rounds out there. Ive found the best thing to do is buy a box of as many different brands as you can get and sit down one day and just test them out

RonJ

Stingers have average to poor accuracy in my experience. Some firearms manufacturers don't recommend them for use in their guns. Ruger MK II/III being one example.
For HV .22's I've had good luck with Velocitors.

Last edited:

atomicsaladbowl

I personally have never shot any of these cci stingers, but i know that ruger says to not shoot them in the 10/22, I know they are high velocity, not sure about the deal with the silver case

GONIF

Ok ,so if CCI stingers suck what is the best 22LR for accuracy that you can use on small game ? I have a Remington speedmaster BDL that shoots good with the CCI stingers ,but I'm always looking to do better .:eek:

Last edited:

Buzzcook

They may not be accurate, but they sure are fun.

What shoots best depends on your gun. Buy 50 rounds of each and give them a try.

Slopemeno

In my old hand-me-down Mossberg bolt-action they are incredibly accurate. And they will do a number on small game, in my experience.

zombieslayer

Ive not had the poor accuracy as others have. Its not match grade by any means but it kills smaller critters really well. Just my experience with the stuff.
I get excellent accuracy out of Federal AutoMatch 22's. $15 for 325 rds.

Edward429451

Stingers run fine in my standard 10/22. They may not win any Matches but they're minute of rabbit easily. My chrony shows them to run more consistently than any other CCI 22 ammo (excepting Green Tag) and I get upwards of 1500 fps from them.

T. O'Heir

"...if CCI Stingers suck..." They don't really. However, as with any .22 rimfire, especially hypervelocity ammo, you have to try a box to find out if your rifle will shoot 'em well. Stingers are for hunting, not target shooting anyway.
"...the deal with the silver case..." Marketing.

Picher

I've had excellent results with Stingers over the years, but haven't used them for a while. I tried Velocitors when they first came out and the accuracy was terrible, so stopped using them.

The thing about .22LR ammo is: Every brand/type has good batches and bad. Find the ammo/batch your rifle likes and buy as much as you can afford. Then, keep it in a cool, dry place and it should last for as much as 20 years. Or, in my case, a few weeks, until it's all shot up. :)

CCI has been very consistent, especially SV and Mini-Mags. A few years ago, I bought a brick of SGB (Small Game Bullet) with truncated cone flat point ammo that shot 3/8" at 50 yards and was fantastic on small game. My son is still using the boxes I gave him for his Rem 581. He shoots smallish red squirrels at his place, out to 80+ yards!

B. Lahey

Some of my .22s shoot them as well as other non-premium flavors of ammo, some of them hate them.

The fragmenting kersposion you see on critters with stingers fired from a rifle doesn't happen with handguns. Guess it's the significantly reduced velocity.

what is the best 22LR for accuracy that you can use on small game?

Lapua Speed Ace.

Blackshirts

CCI Stingers are not welcome in mine. They are a bit longer than the various bulk ammo and in my Marlin 925(bolt action) they seem to take a bit more force than necessary to chamber even with a clean bore. I don't like the feel so I won't be buying anymore.

Ozzieman

Stingers.
My Colt Ace loves them, extremely accurate.
Winchester Model 75 Target Rifle. 100 yards have held 1 inch groups.
Ruger MK II, better off throwing stones but the gun is accurate with Remington.
Marlin lever action was poor.
I will agree that they do blow up when an earthen piggy is hit, but I never heard one complain much less move after getting hit with one.