Ted Williams Model 73

Texas45

My father passed me this SearsRoebuck Ted Williams model 73 30-06.
Cant seem to figure out who the manufacturer was.
Anyone have any ideas?
We think it was Savage or Remington
0b770dacd2ac10acd2d9dd7fd44379dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWT

I believe it was a version of the Model 70 Winchester and manufactured by Winchester for Sears.

Texas45

So it appears more than likely it was Winchester
It does have that appearance.
Thanks fellas.

Pathfinder45

If your rifle looks like the one pictured on your owners manual, then you definitely have a Winchester, a variant of the post '63 model 70. Arguably a better rifle than a Remington 700.

Guv

My uncle had a Ted Williams 270 and it was a Winchester (70, 670 ??). As I remember, it was also a very nicely finished gun, my Dad borrowed it a couple of times.
Shouldn't it say Winchester somewhere on the barrel?

eastbank

look for the winchester proof marks on the barrel and reciever, if winchester made it,it will have their proof marks on it. eastbank.

jmr40

The rifle in the photo on the cover of the owners manual is a push feed Winchester 70 with Ted Williams and Sears name stamped on it.

The 670 was also a model 70, but was a budget version with cheaper wood. They made several variants of the 670 over the years. Some had floor plates, some were blind magazines and they even briefly made one version with a Remington style 2 position safety.

Minorcan

The Ted Williams models were made by Winchester and shoot like them as well. A high quality value priced gun. They shoot as good as the Winchesters but do not have the same resale
value.

Texas45

If your rifle looks like the one pictured on your owners manual, then you definitely have a Winchester, a variant of the post '63 model 70. Arguably a better rifle than a Remington 700.

It looks like this.
When Dad and I were sorting things he gave me the ammo ha had.
Had some empties.
He says ob I saved all the casings I've shot since day one.
I counted all 19 of them.

64cde185213ac877584b127a415ad007.jpg

Texas45

My uncle had a Ted Williams 270 and it was a Winchester (70, 670 ??). As I remember, it was also a very nicely finished gun, my Dad borrowed it a couple of times.

Shouldn't it say Winchester somewhere on the barrel?

No where Ive found is it marked anything other than
Ted Williams and Sears Roebuck.
I have not taken stock off it.

This is all that is on it.
c110d3ea5625052bc00927559d1941a2.jpg
12dcf9d173c41b35c06e9b1c1b997cbb.jpg

Last edited:

dgludwig

Like others have said, it's a Winchester Model 70 variant, replete with the ugly impressed "checkering" on the stock popular in the day (cheaper to do than hand-checkering but before the advent of "machine-checkering" being used on more modern rifles and shotguns).

eastbank

in the picture with the serial number and front scope ring you can see the winchester proof mark on the barrel under the scope, there is also a proof mark on the reciever front under the front scope base. eastbank.

Guv

The "X" in the forearm checkering must be a subtle hint to it's true manufacturer. Super-X-Winchester

jrothWA

Go to the Egunparts website,

menu down to where they have the "cross-reference" section of seller vs manufacturers. You'll get that confirmation.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your manual? it will go good with mine!

Enjoy.

Texas45

I was thinking that was the proof mark but it is hard to see for sure.
I appreciate everyones assistance.

We got it out to the range yesterday
Had not shot it in over 20 yrs been moved a couple times even and still drilled um pretty darn well. Figured it might have been bounced enough to mess up the zero but seems it stayed ok.

So now its shot a total of 40 rds.

We also shot some of gramps old stuff that had not gone bang in well over 50yrs.
Iver Johnson supershot 22 about 1933 or 4
1935 Winchester 94
Model 62A Winchester 22 pump also from some time around 35-40.
Beretta 948 22 circa 1956
Ruger MK1

Many had not shot in yrs. all worked flawless now will be cleaned and put away again. I will shoot them on occasion however.

Texas45

menu down to where they have the "cross-reference" section of seller vs manufacturers. You'll get that confirmation.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your manual? it will go good with mine!

Enjoy.

Send me your Info Ill copy it for ya.

orsogato

It's a Winchester 670 - definitely.

I bought one of these cheap a couple of years ago and then gave it to my nephew as a graduation present. Shoots great. Great gun. I'd take these any day over the current crop of "budget" hunting rifles.