Ted Williams in .270

Rifletom

Had a friend[RIP Don] who had a very nice looking and fantastic shooting .270 called a "Ted William's" on the barrel. His was the only one I've seen. Who made that rifle? It looked like an FN, but I'm pretty much guessing here. Any ideas? Thanks.

Scorch

Ted Williams was a store brand for Sears in the 1970s to early 1980s. More than likely, it was a Winchester Model 70 or 670.

Geezerbiker

A friend of mine has one of those. His has a FN Mauser action and is very accurate. The bottom line is Sears had different gun suppliers over the years and you will likely need to post pix of it to get a definitive answer...

Tony

Rifletom

Don passed away 6 years ago, and I have no idea where the rifle may have gone. Pretty sure it had the FN action.

Rancid

Look in the back of a recent edition of Gun Values and they list all of the mfg's that supplied guns to Sears. A friend of mine has a Ted Williams O/U that he bought at a pawn shop for next to nothing. It is actually a Winchester 101 with the Sears label. :)

natman

Sears sold FN Mauser actioned rifles with chrome lined barrels in the early 50s, but under the J.C. Higgins label (Models 50 & 51).

AFAIK, the Ted Williams labeled guns came later and were post-64 Winchester Model 70s and were called Model 53.

Guv

My Uncle had one and it was a M 70. All I remember about it was to a young boy it was an very pretty looking rifle. It had a scope but I have no idea what type. I also think the only time it made it to the deer lease was when my Dad borrowed it, maybe twice?

Paul B.

"AFAIK, the Ted Williams labeled guns came later and were post-64 Winchester Model 70s and were called Model 53."

That's absolutely correct. I had one in 30-06 Had a somewhat cheap looking hardwood stock stained to look like walnut. Got it for $100 at Sears as when I was looking at it I could tell it had been fired and not cleaned, had a few beauty marks and scratches on the metal Argued with the clerk who insisted it was new. The manager of the section came over and I said this was a used gun. He said it couldn't be. I said let's check the records. He did and sure enough it was a return, "reason unknown." He asked would I take it for $100. OH YEAH! Took a bit of work to make it a decent shooter. Did I say a hardwood stock? Toughest piece of wood I'd ever worked. IIRC, it had some kind of impressed pattern that wasn't checkering but it's been at least 25 years or more since I gave the gun to a kid who wanted to hunt but couldn't afford a gun. Took him on his first hunt too. The safety as I recall as the same as the M70 but was a flat piece of metal rather than the normal M70 style. It also had a blind magazine. A bit heavy and clubby too but was a strong reliable rifle. Just way too plain to suit me.
Paul B.

T. O'Heir

The FN action would have the J.C. Higgins brand name. Ted Williams brand was a Win M70. Total of eight different rifles, cf and rf, had the Ted Williams brand name. Plus shotguns.