TEC-9: Any Problems?

Southern_guy

I recently bought an Intratec-9 pistol from my father, and I don't have any knowledge of problems that the pistols have. I've heard of reliability problems, but my dad had kept it for almost 20 years and never cleaned it. It didn't exploded or anything over the years. Is there any thing I should look out for?

Manedwolf

Yes. Be aware that it was badly engineered and designed to be a cheap and inaccurate bullet hose, a gun that gave ammo to the antis and a black eye to responsible gun owners due to its given market of drive-by gangstas.

It has collector value, I believe, now, as most of them were destroyed or disposed of, but don't ever depend on it in a threatening situation. I'd treat it as if it were made of tinfoil.

Do not EVER use +P ammo in it.

And if it's a KG-9 (open bolt) instead of a later DC-9 (closed-bolt), it's worth up to $1000 or more to collectors. Just be sure it's not been modified into an unregistered full-auto. If it was, it's hammer time.

CWL

There are some that have worked reliably, but the Tec-9 has earned it's name as a POS jammomatic. Sounds to me like your father took advantage of his own son. ;)

Give your gun a careful strip-down and cleaning, look for worn areas, problems, etc. Examine the magazine(s) very carefully for dents, warps and other problem with the feed lipsl, body and spring.

Then take it to the range and first shoot one round in it only to see if the bolt stays open after the shot. Then shoot 3 rounds to see if there are any FTF, FTE or other cycling problems. If everything is OK, then shoot full mags thru it -on second thought, you may want to underload your mags by 1-2 bullets to help prevent any feeding/jamming problems.

Let us know what happens.

Rimrod

The Interdynamics KG9, open bolt, and KG99, closed bolt, were actually decent firearms. When they started being made under the Intratec name is when they went down hill.

CGSteve8718

My brother has one and it has all of the problems previous posters spoke of. Also, after firing it for a while, the charging handle broke off, not from racking it back, but the force of shooting caused it to crack. People at shows and shops told us that it was a common problem with the Intratecs.

Other than that, I don't know much about it.

kcshooter

Had a friend with one, used to make fun of him for it, we never got more than 3 rounds out before it jammed. Really cool looking doorstop or paperweight.