Teaching New Shooters

meat

I am currently in the process of "breaking in" my significant other to handgun shooting. The other night I let her try out the weapons that I had to see how they fit in her hand. The gun that she really liked was my glock 19. It fit her hand very well. My other semiautos were just to darn big for her hand (my Sig 220, and my Springfield 1911a1). She absolutely hated my revolvers, which really surprised me because I figured that I could teach her on my Gp100 w/ .38 specials. But she just doesn't like the gun. She told me that she doesn't like revolvers and wants to learn on my glock 19 or some other semiauto. My only concern is the glock's proprietary trigger. Since I'm not an instructor, I don't know if it's good to start out on a "safe action" pistol. I like them, and have had no problem making the transition to them. But, I learned on a DA/SA 9mm beretta 92fs. I was just wondering if it would be a better idea for her to learn on a smaller DA/SA semiauto since she doesn't plan to shoot as much as I do (she probably won't turn it into a hobby), but she does want to know how to shoot to defend herself (and she will come to practice w/ me occasionally). If it's better for her to learn on a DA/SA (like the SIG 228 or 239), or a total DAO (like the KAHR K9), I would be willing to sell or trade my G19 for a pitol for her to use. I want whatever is safest and most reliable for her to learn and use. So if the glock isn't a good "newbie" pistol for her, what would be (that isn't a revolver)?

cheifwatchman

Start her off w/ the revolver any way. Explain to her that until she can demonstrate the rules of safety. I mean put those rules into action, not just memorize them. That the revolver is the best learning tool. Then after she practices safe gun handling w/ the revover she can then shoot the pistol. Or pay for training w/ a training instructor. My mom wanted me to teach her how to shoot. I printed out the safety rules & other articals about shooting technique for her to study. Then I wanted her to start dry firing. But she didn't want to put forth the effort to learn properly. So I didn't wast my time teaching her.

sm

I/we start them off with a 22 revolver (mod 18 smith). Safety, rules etc. Dry fire with a dime on the front sight and'walk it down.
Dummy rounds catches flinching etc. Move up to a 4" k frame, repeat. At this point some want to stay with revo for awhile--even though original ideas was the semi. Semi's we usually go with Ruger 22/45, standard, Browning, Colt woodsman. Same drill on safety, handling. Variety of semis in larger calibers, manual of arms, etc. Seems they always appreciated learning the revolver first--even if at first they didn't want to.

Christopher II

Do not, do not, do not start her out on the revolver! I know, I'm going against hundreds of years of instructor dogma here, but listen to my reasoning. Revolvers are about the worst possible type of pistol to start a new shooter on.

Think about it. A new shooter is going to have to deal with a shaky sight picture, a heavy gun, stance, breathing, et cetera. Now, you want to add in a heavy trigger pull? Just how hard do you want her first shooting experience to be? Start her out with an unloaded .22 semi-auto of some kind, I like the Ruger MkII. Practice dry-firing, safe gun handling, and loading/unloading. Once she's comfortable with the operation of the gun, start her out shooting one shot at a time, at a very close target (five feet is not too close.) If necessary, let her shoot off a rest. As she gains confidence and skill, move the target back and/or increase the size of the gun. Always start off by loading one round at a time!

Be patient, go slow, and make sure she has fun.

- Chris

KSFreeman

The first gun should always be her finger so that she learns stance and grip.

A self-loading .22 pistol is my choice.

Robert Foote

Teaching women to shoot is a bit different than teaching guys. Not better, not worse, just different. I know. Normally, what re1973 says is correct. There are exceptions, and women tend to fall in the 'exception' category. Rationalize it any way you want, but the safest thing is to treat every one as a distinct individual. Just because something works without fail on 50 men in succession doesn't mean much some times.

From what I have seen, it's best to accomodate the ladies' preferences to the extent possible. My daughter latched on to the Glock 19 when she was 13. After thorough discussion I allowed her to start with that. The ironclad agreement was that she had to do everything EXACTLY as I said. Call it a vote of confidence, a motivator, or whatever you want. It was her pet, and she worked at it. I eventually shipped her and her gun off to Gunsite where she did great. Why? Because she WANTED to. She is 22 now, and as far as she's concerned it's the only gun in the world. My wife is much the same only with her it's a M37 Airweight.

I always insist that any student of mine learn, know, and practice the 4 basic rules at all times--so the type of action is somewhat academic. I prefer to teach one-on-one and over numerous short sessions. I don't cut corners but I do try to work within a student's limits and attention span. After that it's up to them as to how far they want to go with it. And they'll appreciate your consideration along the way.

Preacherman

Robert, good post! I agree that if she really likes the G19, let her learn on it. Bear in mind that it's about as close to a revolver in operation as a pistol can get - point gun, pull trigger, BANG! No external safety, no grip safety, no wierd levers to pull... Also, the trigger pull is short and light enough to be relatively easy for a newbie to shoot well. I agree that for most shooters, a revolver is a better "first gun", if only because its long, slow DA trigger pull takes a certain skill level to master, and once one has got that down pat, any other weapon is relatively easy to master: but if she's already in love with the Glock, why frustrate her? It might lead to her being an ex-Significant Other!!! :eek:

Kermit

How about a 22lr conversion kit for that 19? She would get use to the trigger and still be able to shoot ALOT of practice rounds. Then, when she feels more comfortable, she can progress to 9mm w/ a simple slide swap.

notbubba

Same advice as "What should I buy?".
The gun that fits you, that you like.

Have her handle some DA pistols to see if see likes them better that your G19.
If she finds one she likes or a type she wants to try call your local range and see if they rent guns or if a member has that gun.

As you know most shooters love to show off their guns.
We also love to talk someone into buying what we shoot because "it's the best".:cool:

Then get what she likes.

pberzk

All folks are different. So are wimmens. I taught my daughter with a Model 14 S&W, 6" barrel. She had plenty to choose from, including .22 SA revolvers, and preffered the .38. She doesn't like the autos AT ALL. Shoots that darn thing pretty good, and is very safety conscious. Whatever works best, and makes the student most comfortable....

C.R.Sam

Trigger pull on a revolver can be a non-issue.
If the instructer cocks it for each shot during the early phases of training.

Next would be the student cocking and firing single action.

Then on to double action after the basics are learned.

Sam

M1911

I teach NRA Basic Pistol classes and many of my students have been women. All of my students shoot revolvers and semi-autos -- starting with .22 semi-autos and .38 revolvers. After showing some competence with those guns, I let them fire other semi-autos if they wish. For most of my students, it was best to start with the .22, due to its low recoil and muzzle blast. But, different strokes for different folks. My first gun was a Glock 17.

I suggest that you consider finding a good NRA instructor in your area and have her take a Basic Pistol class. Quite often people learn better when they are taught by someone other than their significant other...