Teaching my first TN Carry Permit Class tomorrow

Spammy_H

I'm pretty stoked. I've been teaching beginner friends and family for a while now, and finally got certified to teach the class. Now rather than send them to a class for the paper, I can do it myself.

Ruger480

Good for you. Its nice to be able to make it legit for your friends and family to acquire firearms.
I would consider that true support of the 2A.

ClydeFrog

Props....

That's good that you will start a teaching job.
I looked into doing a security/basic protection course for a local adult learning annex but the company isn't very stable & keeps moving locations. :confused:

Id advise obtaining or bringing displays or "props" to show new students.
Most adult students learn(retain) more from seeing things or being able to hold/touch different things.
There's a # of weapons that you can buy in demo formats; ASP, Ring, Blackhawk, etc. You don't need real weapons or ammunition.
Blackhawk has a few models in safety(bright) orange.
ASP, www.galls.com offers a few firearms in a design that includes the feel/weight of a loaded weapon.

JerryM

What about liability insurance? A friend here in NM learned that his ins company would not let him permit his students to use reloads. I do not know if this is prevalent or not.
FWIW.

Jerry

Wreck-n-Crew

Id advise obtaining or bringing displays or "props" to show new students.
Most adult students learn(retain) more from seeing things or being able to hold/touch different things
X2

What about liability insurance? A friend here in NM learned that his ins company would not let him permit his students to use reloads. I do not know if this is prevalent or not.
FWIW.
My instructor allowed them. Not sure how his insurance saw it though.

ClydeFrog

lawyer/legal aid....

Id add that you might want to speak to your business lawyer(legal advisor) if you have one or do some research on the state laws/statues re: weapons training, tactics.
My state has a few gun/weapon statues that say you can not teach "militia" type instruction or form/create any schools, education material etc intended for weapons training, tactics, skills related to military forces.
If you have a state certification or license that may help you clarify what your course(s) are. A NRA certificate may help too, ;) .
It may seem minor or trivial but Id still look into it so a DA or media source can't make a issue of it later.
The scandal with TN's James Yeager of Tactical Response is a good example.

Clyde

dawg23

I'm pretty stoked. I've been teaching beginner friends and family for a while now, and finally got certified to teach the class. Now rather than send them to a class for the paper, I can do it myself.
Spammy:

I'm sure you're prepared. But if you haven't read Cathy Jackson's essay on Instructor Ethics, I recommend it as a good read. I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before.

https://www.corneredcat.com/instructor-ethics-101/