Teach me, o wise ones, about the .223

Parke1

Ok, here goes.

During the terrible, awful, dreaded, evil down time of TFL, I went out and got me a Savage 112 in .223 :D. This is the varmint model with the 26" stainless fluted barrel, 1 in 9" twist. I've been hearing different things about bullet weight vs twist vs shooting application.

Can someone just give it to me straight? I just want to know what bullet weight to use for what. Short distance target shooting (sub 200 yds), longer distance target, varmint hunting (long and short), etc. Is there one particular bullet weight that can accomplish these well? I've heard many references to the 55gr bullet out of a 1 in 9 twist barrel, would that be good?

Thanks a bunch, it's great to have you all back.
-Parke1

55 grain willl be a-ok. With the 1-9 twist, you can shoot any grain up to about 70. No 80's though. Probably stay above 50 also.

Try some Hornady BTHP 68's from 200, maybe a 52 HP from 100 or so.

You should do some experimenting. It seems that with the .223, each rifle has a few specific grain sizes that are the most accurate. I have an AR, 1-8 and it loves the 52, 68, and 75, not so much the 55.

I have heard in some instances a 1-9 can handle the 75 Hornady, but out of some they tumble.

Also, seems as though the 68 and 75 are not so great from 100 yards as they dont really have enough time to stabilize. They spiral slightly as they go down range and need more than the 100 to get stable.

Variety though, is the spice of life.....

Parke1

Thanks, Walker.

What I want to know more specifically, though, is what bullet weight I should use for what shooting application? What would you use for varmint hunting? For long distance vs shorter distance target shooting, etc.

Thanks!
-Parke1

Navy joe

For all around use your 55gr FMJ is the .223/5.56 std. It does fine plinking out to 200, works ok for 2-legged varmits.

Long range target with that barrel, as said above try some different 69 gr boattail stuff. My 1 in 7 also likes some 62gr.

Varmits try out a 40gr HP like Winchester's CXP1, Blitzking, or the like.

There also seems to be varmit (2 & 4 leg) potential in some of the ballistic tip loads.

Swamp Yankee

Suggest checking the reloading manuals and websites of Hornady, Speer Sierra, and Nosler for starters. There you will find all types of information about bullet construction and selecting the best design and weight for the application.
As to your Savage I would think bullets in the 62 to 69 grain range would be a good place to start.
Take Care

Specifically,

For a varmit from 100 or less, probably the 52 HP.

For a varmit from 100-200 maybe the 68 or BTHP.

For a target from 300, try the 69 or 75 BTHP

Plinking from 100 or less, probably the 55 FMJ.

Any time I have a question like this, I call the Sierra Bullet tech line. Why specualte or guess when you can ask the manufacturers of some of the most accurate bullets in history (no offense intended to the guys on this board) ? They have always bent over backwards to help me with any question I had and their response was always right on the money, after all, these guys do this for a living. I honestly don't shoot a whole lot of Sierra bullets, but their tech line is legendary.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/
For Customer Service call: 1(800) 223-8799

addecus

The 52 Sierra is good out to 200+ and the 69 will do it from inside 100 0ut past 300. You must try these bullets with different loads in your bbl and find what it prefers. A good start is wiith Black Hills Blue Box 68s and if it shoots ok try loading something that comes close. have fun!

uglygun

I have a 1:9 twist 223Remington that goes absolutely BONKERS for 40grain BlitzKings and Vmaxes. The things seem to be about the same size, volume, sectional density as the 52grain match bullets due to that large polymer insert which takes up some volume in the bullet making it comparable in size(can't really put it into words or word it correctly, but bullet weight doesn't really matter, it's sectional density along with velocity and all that other stuff that makes a bullet perform in a certain barrel twist), the bullets for me act very much like a 52grain match bullet with regards to accuracy.

If I know that I'm going to be blasting a lot of vermin up close and shoot out to around 100 yards max, I go with the 40grain bullets so that way I can really zing those things out there and make a real mess. For longer ranges like 200 and beyond I normally skip the 50 grain bullets and go right for the 55grain bullets.

My 1:9 will shoot all bullets pretty accurately but the real performers are the 40grain BlitzKing and Vmax along with the 52grain Match Hollow Points, match hollow points don't expand on vermin though like the BlitzKings or Vmaxes so the match HP bullets usually don't get loaded. It comes down to splitting hairs though, 50s and 55s shoot only a little looser for my gun but the balistic advantage is there so that's why I save them for long range rather than use the fly weight 40s. My best 40grain handload is averaging 3/4 inch for 10 shots at 100 yards.

Also, for cheap blasting ammo. Federal makes a 50grain hollow point in their American Eagle line, it isn't much on expansion but it does make a nice little target load. I used to get quite a lot of 1/2 inch groups for 5 shots at 100 yards, not bad for 6 dollar(sometimes cheaper) a box ammo.

Edited to note that with a factory gun I would say that you never really know what will work best till you try it. With custom guns it's possible to take a 1:9 and throat it so that perhaps it will work better with lighter bullets when seated just right as compared to throating it for heavier bullets seated out further. I've had loads of luck shooting lighter bullets through my rifle and never had much luck shooting the heavier bullets up around 60-70 grains while others have had excellent results with these bullet weights. Just gotta get a little variety, some good stuff in the light and heavy weight ranges as well as some cheaper blasting ammo just to see if it can surprise you. Blackhills 50 round boxes of 52 or 53grain ammo can really surprise you sometimes, if they offer the 50grain TNT bullet as a factory offering try that out too perhaps as the bullet is usually very accurate for me and downright explosive on vermin.

Crimper-D

"You have done well Grasshopper!"

Actually, this is an echo-post, Walker Texas Ranger coverd it very well, he cited every load and application I use for the .223:cool:

It's always refreshing to find that "Great Minds Think Alike":D :D

Works that way fer me! I got a Ruger M77.:)