Teach me about Glocks...

moredes

Sorry, I tried to search "Safe Action System" but came up with way too many threads.

Everything I know about Glocks could fit in a thimble upside down. I fired a 9mm Glock about 10-12 years ago, but don't remember anything about the gun except that it didn't point quite as naturally as a 1911, and that the trigger wasn't as good. (Is my 1911 bias showing?:) )

Anyway, I happened upon a Glock 21 at what I thought was a screamin' deal; it comes with 13-rd "drop free" magazines.... so many questions.... (but I'm sure not enough questions because I don't know what to ask), so here goes:

1) What's a "drop-free" mag? Ain't *ALL* Glock mags designed to drop to the ground by gravity? or does "drop-free" mean something else?

2) I went over to the Glock website and looked up the 21's, but I can't figure out the 'Safe Action System' from the description on the Glock website. It says: "

Furthermore the "Safe Action" system provides a constant trigger pull weight and a constant trigger travel from the first shot up to the last shot."

That sure sounds to me like DA or SA only.... Are Glocks double action only, or DA/SA, or single action 'cocked, hammer down, and safetied'.

3) Is there anything else I should check before I really get interested in a Glock 21?

He'p me Law's...I gwann done took my eye offin' my Elebuns...:eek: :D

Thank you.

CraZkid

I believe that the BATFE has classified Glocks as DA because of the safe action system. If it was SA then it would not be suitable for IPSC Production. I seem to recall that the striker is cocked by pulling the trigger and is recocked(by the trigger pull) each subsequent pull.

I am sure a glockophile will correct me, but that is what I seem to recall.

The drop-free mag thing is probly just a gimick used by the gun-store, like "super-clean" or "low miles" written on the windsheild of a used car.

The only other thing is find out what generation it is. Some early 21s have been known to go kaboom, but the problem seems to be hot loads, rather than the unsupported chamber.

dairycreek

Technically speaking, the Glock is neither a double action nor a single action pistol. It is a striker-fired pistol. Here is a link that explains what Safe Action means and just what striker fired means. Good luck http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/40/23/

It is important to know that Glocks do not have any external safety mechanism and all action revolves around the trigger. If you end up carrying a Glock with one in the chamber remember don't touch the trigger until you are ready to shoot and when carrying a loaded Glock keep the trigger covered!

MTS840

Moredes:

While I'm not a Glock armorer, I do have four Glocks including a Glock 21 and I really like the gun. It is reliable, accurate and soft shooting. It's never had a malfunction or any of the problems a lot of internet bashers say it should have. I shoot quality factory ammo in it and carry it in preference to four other guns I could carry for CCW.

The term "drop free" is used to differentiate the newer Glock magazines from the earlier ones, which were not 'drop free.' You can tell them apart if you look at them from the rear side by side. The newer 'drop free' mags have a square notch at the top where the magazine follower goes, while the older mags will have a rounded notch. You'll want the newer mags.
The kB problem is not just associated with Glocks, although Glocks get all the press since there's so many of them around. Shooting reloads in the gun is not recommended and will void the warranty. In most of the cases, the kB was caused by hot reloads. Just stick with quality factory loads and you shouldn't have a problem.
Glocks are considered DA, but not in a conventional sense since there's no external hammer. The firing pin spring is normally under slight tension and pressing the trigger pulls the spring back slightly and then releases it. Again, a Glock armorer will correct me if I'm wrong.

Helmetcase

If you end up carrying a Glock with one in the chamber remember don't touch the trigger until you are ready to shoot and when carrying a loaded Glock keep the trigger covered!
Very true; but what bothers me about people who negatively comment on this aspect of the Glock is that they're ignoring basic gun safety. That procedure should be the rule for ANY gun you handle, not just a Glock. A Glock is no less safe than any other pistol if you follow the four basic rules of gun safety religiously. A Glock with a round chambered isn't much different than a revolver. If you pull it, it will go boom.

'75Scout

I have a GLOCK 26 and it has never had a malfunction. It is very accurate for the size and very compact. I love it, small enough for me to conceal but big enough for me to feel well-armed and be able to hit what I aim at in self defense distances. My next pistol will be a GLOCK 17. Incredibly easy to field-strip and complete disasemly is easy, especially if you have an armorer's video that shows you how. GLOCKs are also basically corrosion proof, no need to wipe off fingerprints or wipe down with oil.

GLOCKs do have many internal saftey features, much like a SIG. There is a firing pin cam which prevents the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, you could throw it against a wall all day with a round in the chambe and it wouldn't fire. I believe the firing pin is reset as you release the trigger once it has been pulled. You can tell if you dry fire a GLOCK. There are other safties that I can't remember off-hand.

'75Scout

I have a GLOCK 26 and it has never had a malfunction. It is very accurate for the size and very compact. I love it, small enough for me to conceal but big enough for me to feel well-armed and be able to hit what I aim at in self defense distances. My next pistol will be a GLOCK 17. Incredibly easy to field-strip and complete disasemly is easy, especially if you have an armorer's video that shows you how. GLOCKs are also basically corrosion proof, no need to wipe off fingerprints or wipe down with oil.

GLOCKs do have many internal saftey features, much like a SIG. There is a firing pin cam which prevents the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, you could throw it against a wall all day with a round in the chambe and it wouldn't fire. I believe the firing pin is reset as you release the trigger once it has been pulled. You can tell if you dry fire a GLOCK. There are other safties that I can't remember off-hand.